SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What part is faulty
door sensor 1 100.00%
hood/trunk latch 0 0%
BCM 0 0%
key fob 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-16-2018, 11:37 PM   #1
2006 ion 2 manu
2006 ion 2 manu is on a distinguished road

Devil Possessed Ion, looking for skilled exorcist

I parked my 2006 ion for about 6 weeks. Nobody drove it. Took it to doctors office other day and noticed door locks were trying to relock intermittently while i was driving down the road, also noticed intirior cieling and map lights were coming on and going off intermittently. Parked it when i got home and alarm started going off randomly. I get key fob hit some buttons to make it stop but it keeps doing it. Also noticed while it was parked the interior lights would randomly come on and go off by themselves. I was thinking BCM at first but not really sure. Then I decided to diconnect the battery overnight to try resetting all the elctronics to see if that would fix it, didnt work. I called the dealer, they ran my vin and said theyre were no recalls on my car. Im 90% sure that if i leave the car unlocked the alarm doesnt go off but if i lock it the alarm goes off when parked (makes sense if its a faulty sensor somewhere). The wierd part is the car was fine before I left for vacation, its odd that i come home and its possessed after sitting 6 weeks untouched. Heres a little background, 2006 ion 2 with a 5 speed, 4 door, 150k, im second owner, i bought it off the first owner at 125k, she had the car serviced at the same dealer she purchased it from since new. Serviced reguraly. The car is imaculate/clean/was very lightly used and every thing worked 100% until this. Only modification on whole vehicle is LED headlights /bulbs i installed last winter for better brightness/visability. Only thing I could say bad about the car is i hit a deer with it two summers ago and wrinkled a small portion of the hood near the latch. It was a slow hit about 30 mph, suprisingly little damage never fixed it cuz its hardly noticible. I wondered if theres a hood latch sensor? that would be strange for it to act up two years after the accident. So right now Im going to check all door sensors, hood and trunk latch sensor. As im writing this Im leaning twards faulty door sensor. If nobody has any input im just documenting my case here to mabye help others in the future, will update soon.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion 2 manu's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion 2 manu reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion 2 manu is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2018, 12:03 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Possessed Ion, looking for skilled exorcist

Original battery? Did you check both battery cables in the trunk, the red cable on the Remote Start terminal next to the engine fuse box. Had the battery and alternator tested at a store seeking car batteries? Is your drive belt loose or tight?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 12:09 AM   #3
2006 ion 2 manu

Not original battery but its clean and works fine, i did notice its much higher capacity than neened, ill check but i think its 860 cranking amps. Both battery cables in trunk look mint, i took em off to try resseting electronics. Altenator has not been tested but i could put my multimeter on it tomorow see if i get 14v. Belts are fine inder the hood. Ill have altenator and battery tested if i dont find a faulty door sensor tomorow.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion 2 manu reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-17-2018, 12:36 PM   #4
2006 ion 2 manu

Happy Re: Possessed Ion, looking for skilled exorcist

Update for anybody with this issue... this morning I found the drivers door sensor was obviously faulty. it was cockeyed in the hole and the slide piece was bent. When i went to remove it the sensor fell into 4 or 5 pieces. Put new one and and issue is resolved.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-17-2018, 12:45 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I mentioned starting with power before going into electronics since one comes first before the other. Screwy power can have an immense effect on everything relying on an even power source.

Your deer story reminded me of a similar incident years ago. My brother borrowed my wagon one hot summer day. He rear ended someone (at low speed), both cars were fine. No damage. He fell asleep without using ac (he's cheap) in the hot weather. About a year later, my radiator sprung a leak. My guess is the light hit was just enough to start a crack but took about a year to develop before replacing it. The wagon was never in an accident before then.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 04:28 PM   #6
2006 ion 2 manu

Attention Re: its back

So i thought the issue was resolved because it went away for a few days. But all the symptoms are back, I checked all the other door sensors and nothing seems wrong. I had some other wierd symptoms as well, new ones, when i started the car the other day the instrument cluster was flickering the whole drive. And the right front turn signal went out then came back the next day. litterally just a bunch of starnge wierd symptoms.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-06-2018, 02:09 PM   #7
hudypete1
hudypete1 is a jewel in the roughhudypete1 is a jewel in the roughhudypete1 is a jewel in the rough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
1999 SL2

Where do you live? It seems that there could be an intermittent short, possibly made worse due to summer humidity.

What things are giving funky readings/operation now?

What things are clearly working perfectly without problems?

Peter in Lansing MI

current cars:
94 SW2 (White, automatic)
99 SL2 (Silver Plum, manual)
99 SL2 (Dark Blue, manual)
04 Ion 3 (Berry Red, 2.0L automatic)
07 Ion 3 (Cypress Green, 2.4L, manual)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hudypete1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hudypete1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hudypete1 is offline   Reply With Quote