SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2013, 02:33 PM   #1
coastiejoe
coastiejoe is on a distinguished road

Default 2002 saturn sl2 - heater motor

Heater motor will not turn on. I have replaced the heater motor, fuse, relay, resistor, I have checked the fuse under hood, replaced heater switch and there is still no power to the heater motor with a volt meter. Anyone have any ideas what I should do now??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to coastiejoe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help coastiejoe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
coastiejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2013, 02:59 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2002 saturn sl2 - heater motor

Here's a wiring diagram to study. Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HVAC blower ckt.jpg (204.1 KB, 20 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:27 PM   #3
climbski
climbski has a spectacular aura aboutclimbski has a spectacular aura about

2000 SW2
1999 SW2

Fusebox connections gone bad? Switch?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to climbski's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help climbski reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
climbski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:33 PM   #4
GeekOnTheHill
GeekOnTheHill is a jewel in the roughGeekOnTheHill is a jewel in the roughGeekOnTheHill is a jewel in the roughGeekOnTheHill is a jewel in the rough

Use the diagram and start at the beginning, checking power at each point. When you stop getting power, you've isolated the problem.

Unfortunately, that's really what it comes down to. If it's not blowing fuses, then it's probably a loose or corroded wire or connection somewhere. You just have to narrow it down. Good luck.

-Richard

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GeekOnTheHill's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GeekOnTheHill reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GeekOnTheHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 02:39 PM   #5
coastiejoe

I have started my troubleshooting and I have a couple additional questions....

1) There is a ground strap located on the passenger side near the fuse box support that is disconnected. Do you think this could be the problem or know where it goes?

2) The next question is, the heater relay is chattering. Does anyone know what could cause this and if these two things are related?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.
Joe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help coastiejoe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-21-2013, 02:50 PM   #6
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

1) Ground strap should be on the stud that's probably hidden under crud or previous work broke out of the car. While not 100% required, the electronics are fairly ground system sensetive so it'd be a very very good idea to figure out a grounding location (not on the engine) for it.

2) Not likely to be directly connected to the ground strap but if the previous owner left that wire disconnected..what else did they miss? example: My dad got a '98 K1500 w/plow for $800 (truck is worth $1200 on it's own) due to it not running with the MM plow plugged it...they were morons with electrical, I just had to rewire it properly without buying anything or using any "new" parts to get it 100% fixed.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 06:32 PM   #7
coastiejoe

I was trouble shooting my wiring today, I found that the purple wire behind the fuse box has burned. I have pulled it apart and saw that the flat spade was melted. My question is how can I pull that purple wire out of the fuse box to replace it. It is the female side that needs to be replaced.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-26-2013, 06:44 PM   #8
caveeagle
caveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of light

2005 VUE 2.2L
2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastiejoe View Post
I was trouble shooting my wiring today, I found that the purple wire behind the fuse box has burned. I have pulled it apart and saw that the flat spade was melted. My question is how can I pull that purple wire out of the fuse box to replace it. It is the female side that needs to be replaced.
Are you talking about the fuse panel on the side of the console?

Mark
'05 Vue, '02SL1, '01SC2a, '01SC2b, '99SL1 :::::> '04 SVT Cobra, '67 Mustang Vert.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to caveeagle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help caveeagle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
caveeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 06:56 PM   #9
coastiejoe

yes on the passenger side

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-26-2013, 07:16 PM   #10
caveeagle
caveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of light

2005 VUE 2.2L
2001 SC2

You could easily get a replacement section of wire with the proper metal clip from a U-pull parts car. Hopefully, you did not melt too much of the plastic fuse panel housing and can repair it with some doner wiring.

I am sure it will not be too easy to get behind that panel. ..... But you did get in there far enough to at least find this issue.

Mark
'05 Vue, '02SL1, '01SC2a, '01SC2b, '99SL1 :::::> '04 SVT Cobra, '67 Mustang Vert.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to caveeagle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help caveeagle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
caveeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:07 AM   #11
trottida
Master Member
trottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to behold

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

deleted post.

2001 SL1 MT (417,500 km @ 05/2018)
1999 SL2 MT (260,870 km @ 05/2018)
2011 Suburban LT (111,176 km @ 05/2018)

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT
2001 LW200 MT
1992 SL2 MT

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote