SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2019, 11:47 AM   #1
SaturnMinion
SaturnMinion has a spectacular aura aboutSaturnMinion has a spectacular aura aboutSaturnMinion has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan
Question Tech2 techies: Need some Tech2 help....

I'm chasing down an occasional intermittent light stumble on my Saturn Ion that happens when the car is warmed up and comes to a traffic stop. It doesn't happen when its parked in idle. I thought maybe its fuel related or dirty injectors. I cleaned them out, checked the fuel system and its working right... but the car still has the occasional intermittent stumble.

I'm thinking coil pack or plugs now.Does anyone know how can I use the Tech2 to help me diagnose the coil packs/plugs? Tech2win's installed in my laptop and works really nice. Is there a way to monitor what's happening with the coil packs live?

2007 Saturn Ion 2 Sedan, 2.2L DOHC 16V with Duel Balanced Shafts. Automatic Transmission. 180,246K. One owner car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnMinion's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnMinion reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnMinion is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2019, 12:40 PM   #2
Kaervak
Kaervak will become famous soon enoughKaervak will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2
Default Re: Tech2 techies: Need some Tech2 help....

I don't know about the ION, but for the S-series the Tech 2 has a realtime misfire monitor that shows each cylinder and which one is misfiring. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a similar option for the ION

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kaervak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kaervak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kaervak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 01:28 PM   #3
SaturnMinion
SaturnMinion has a spectacular aura aboutSaturnMinion has a spectacular aura aboutSaturnMinion has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan
Question Re: Tech2 techies: Need some Tech2 help....

What menu?

It's a GM thing. Should apply to all. I've never heard of anything specific to an Ion, or Saturn for that matter...(not yet anyway). Thanks!

2007 Saturn Ion 2 Sedan, 2.2L DOHC 16V with Duel Balanced Shafts. Automatic Transmission. 180,246K. One owner car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnMinion reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-04-2019, 02:45 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Not a Tech II user but a guess on what may be seen. Misfire monitor may be as simple as a numeric accumulator, one for each cylinder with the misfiring cylinder(s) accumulating larger numbers over a period of time. A graphical monitor may display misfires as gaps between evenly spaced spark events (spikes?). I'm presuming scantools use the crankshaft sensor to determine spark for every 4-stroke cycle and detects the absence of spark to count it as a misfire event. Or something similar to describe how misfiring is detected and logged for display, numerically or graphic.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 03:19 PM   #5
SaturnMinion

2007 ION-2 Sedan
Thumbs Up Re: Tech2 techies: Need some Tech2 help....

Found it! Love this thing-a-ma-jig!!!

Looks like either coil pack#4, or spark plug 4...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 023.jpg (119.4 KB, 6 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-05-2019, 06:33 AM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Ok, now that you have a graphical display of cylinder misfires, what does that signify other than its occurring to cylinder #4?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 06:34 AM   #7
SaturnMinion

2007 ION-2 Sedan
Thumbs Up Re: Tech2 techies: Need some Tech2 help....

From that point on you'd have to go in there, remove the coil pack and see why. I eventually figured out how to troubleshoot with Tech2Win by means of a TECH2 Paths pdf file I borrowed from the bad-asses at a Corvette forum. Once I ran the misfire graphics in Tech2Win, I found the problem child, (coil pack #4).

I removed the coil pack and found it filled with oil. Looks like the valve gasket had been leaking oil into the plug opening for some time causing the coil pack to misfire. The coil pack was drenched and compromised, but the plug was still good. I cleaned out and removed all the oil and installed a spare coil pack I had. PROBLEM SOLVED! No more stumble. Now I have to get working on the valve cover gasket to stop the leakage into the coil/plug opening when I get a chance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!