SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2019, 11:20 AM   #1
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really nice

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL
Default Delco = China? Really?

A Rock Auto water pump for my S Series this spring. Wow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190331_122843.jpg (93.7 KB, 10 views)

97 SL. Born 6/5/97, bought 7/7/97
08 Burgman 400
02 Haro MTB- can't kill it, still trying though

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MikeNW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MikeNW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MikeNW is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2019, 02:56 PM   #2
TomM96
TomM96 will become famous soon enoughTomM96 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Delco = China? Really?

pandemic mental derangement ... vaccine efforts not funded

Once key suppliers outsource, it's near impossible for remnant domestic mfgrs to compete. The engineers are retired, sales staff get a raise, factories shut, financial discipline imposed throughout... GC/QA atrophies.
Similar effects in Europe... Japan, and Taiwan R.O.C. have most of their mfg done in China (People's Republic) now, too.

Not quite everyone sings the same tune, however:
"Bumax is manufactured in Bufab's own plants in Sweden and meets the requirements of high demanding customers when it comes to .... We deliver
safety and reliability. Some of the products in the Bumax family are completely unique that cannot be found anywhere else on the market. All products have full traceability (3.1 certificates available for each item) and are sourced solely from Premium European stainless steel manufacturers according to rigid specifications."

Lifted From: (4-pg pdf At
https://www.bufab.com/bufab-denmark/...9-datablad.pdf

derived from: https://www.bumax-fasteners.com/

https://www.bufab.com/products/fasteners/bumax

https://www.bufab.com/

Last edited by TomM96; 06-25-2019 at 02:57 PM.. Reason: format

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TomM96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TomM96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 04:05 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Some perspective is needed against myopic viewpoints. As most know, Japan was ruined after WWII. Germany too. Guess where they are now? China went thru internal political turmoil with one incursion of Japan attempting to take over, only losing as they spread out, thinning their colonial sphere of influence. China is still a communist nation and stayed dark for many generations until forced to deal with a stagnant economy, refusing to adapt to a world economy. Thru perseverance, China has accepted (and one must do their homework) and adapted to become a third world power second only to Russia, USA an Europe. With a strong economy and many industries established in a few generations, accelerating themselves to produce products in many ways equal to European and American standards, its no small feat to become the envy of many nations.

Too accomplish their reach into the american economy, one has to ask what are labor wages for blue collar workers in the US against the same in China. Guess who pays a lower wage. Coupled with lower infrastructure costs, factory operations are less costly to operate so products are produced with the same quality (dbelectric starters and alternators are examples) at lower costs against US labor unions with contracts heavily laden with company subsidized benefits. A USA made starter or alternator will cost more simply because of the US economy. Compared to China, their economy is still growing and most factories aren't unionized as this goes against communism. Same business capitalism applies except the communists in control are in every board room. Guess who gets rich whether communist or not? As far as manufacturing goes, China has adopted all european and US quality controls in making mass produced goods for the world market and goods are second to none. Again, no one is complaining about dbelectric starters or alternators made in China.

As a side note, when I removed damaged ac lines and condenser coil from my '03 L300 I was surprised yet not when 'Made in Mexico' labeling showed country of manufacture. No less quality if they were made in the USA but GM knew well in advance to outsource manufacturing to lower costs yet still maintain quality. I could have bought another Made in Mexico ACDELCO hose and condenser coil at twice the price of third party manufacturers but why? The replacement condenser coil is made in Taiwan at less cost and still working three years later....... Quality control dictates whether any manufacturer can supply parts equal to original (in this case Mexico). And to put aside any doubts about Mexican parts quality, the original lasted well over ten years and broke down from chafing, a result of salted roads on NYC streets. Not from poor quality manufacturing. Adhering to a manufacturing standard with proven engineering principles in mechanical, electrical, electronic design levels the playing field anywhere in the world. If what I state is anywhere untrue then the largest commercial airplane in the world, the Airbus A380, could not have flown. It was designed by French, British, Spanish and German companies. Parts were made all over the world with the major parts made from the four nations. Engines were supplied from United Technologies, Rolls Royce, SAFRAN and General Electric. Far too complex to design and manufacture in one country, spreading costs to major companies and cooperating in a large venture is a test of complex manufacturing skills, networking, speaking and reading in many languages and excelling in manufacturing methods to a degree rarely accomplished anywhere. And yet many are bemoaning Made in China parts......

When and if this Made in China water pump fails, speak up. Speculating only spreads hearsay without proof. My made in Taiwan condenser coil hasn't failed nor the replacement made in Mexico high pressure hose in three years of service.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 04:52 PM   #4
TomM96
TomM96 will become famous soon enoughTomM96 will become famous soon enough

FDryer-

Thanks, i generally concur. Also enjoyed your comments in NYT last fall concerning demise modality of Boeing 737Max.

approx 2011, GE CEO Jeffrey Immelt reported in HarvBusinessReview that,
while manufacturing outsourcing long seemed 'the thing', that after the 2008 incident, the foreign mfgrs kind of tended to want to eliminate their 'developed country' wholesale customers (like GE), and go direct to sell to airlines, at retail. I suspect something similar prompted the Trump efforts re trade....

My impression is that Taiwan is Very impressive: reminiscent of french/Italian design, combined with German manufacturing.

Between about 2002 and 2009 the wages of Chinese manufacturing laborers
increased by a factor of about 7X (causing industries like shoe mfgr to relocate in low-wage Vietnam)

My new (2000) car arrived with an $11 aftermarket water pump. Since it survived thus far without leaking, i've elected to not replace it without cause, in spite of the fact that it 'fits' in the car only with the bearing 'weep hole' facing UP!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TomM96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TomM96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 06:18 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I am the worst at American and world history and have to research info in order not to forget or ignore how this little orb we live on has become dependent on each other regardless of political ideology or business acumen. I never saw a world economy evolving as I grew up, ignorant of world affairs and never involved in business economics so I remain a student of how nations and their economies affect those around them as well as nations far away. As a retiree, I have all the time to learn what I ignored for many years only to learn people have the same thoughts wherever they are. As much as we criticise chinese made products, the same was said after WWI when Japan struggled (with America's help) to re-establish business in manufacturing. The hands that fought and killed enemies are the same hands that helped the enemy to rebuild. Decades pass to heal wounds, some never but reality progresses. Japanese products after WWII were some of the worst made yet decades later are some of the best made products. The same with Germany before and after WWII. China never being involved in a major war except an internal civil war simply took longer to come around to being a world class nation exceeding in many areas like high speed rail travel. With so many more engineers in the largest population, its was just a matter of time before communism saw how pitiful political ideology interferes with becoming a global manufacturer of goods at extremely competitive prices. I'm not the only one seeing this but will point it out when nation bashing has no place in discussions without proof.

As a licensed pilot with low hours on steam gauges, I follow the aircraft industry and wonder how automation has created pilots that seem to concentrate their ability to handle the complex electronics in many large aircraft yet have little time in actual hand flying. News over the years points to this dilemma of balancing pilots using their hands/eyes/feet flying manually and using automated flight controls when automation has progressed to the point that pilots are generally minding the store and not actually flying anymore. This leads to losing skills in the most stressful of situations, taking off and landing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote