SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2004, 12:02 PM   #1
swilroy
swilroy is on a distinguished road

Default Anyone changed plugs on LW2 V6?

I wanted to change the plugs on my 2000 LW2 V6 - Has anyone out there done it?
What about the timing belt?
Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to swilroy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help swilroy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2004, 07:33 PM   #2
LATEMODELRACING
LATEMODELRACING is on a distinguished road

yes i have changed the plugs it is a task. you will need quite a bit of time the upper intake has to be removed as far as the timing belt i have done them and they are a task also i would have a saturn dealer do the timing belt it is worth not putting the belt on wrong and bending valves. i have seen this happen a few times.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LATEMODELRACING's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LATEMODELRACING reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-24-2004, 08:24 PM   #3
lostwages_ls2
lostwages_ls2 is on a distinguished road

Unless you are getting close to 100k, or experiencing problems, don't bother. The are very good long life bosch plugs. The look like this.

The front bank is not too hard. Takes about 15 minutes to get down to the plugs. The rear bank requires a little more disassembly.

You will need a torx socket set to remove the intake runners and coil packs. Also have 6 hose clamps on hand. If you are carefull with side cutters, you can release the clamps and reuse them. If not, just cut them and replace.

As for the timing belt, it takes special alignment tools to do the job. I would pay the dealer to do it. If you were to goof, bent valves would be the result.

Your Honor Student is merely a pawn in my Min Pin's diabolical world domination plot.

Obey the Min Pin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lostwages_ls2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lostwages_ls2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-25-2004, 01:05 PM   #4
swilroy
swilroy is on a distinguished road

Default My 2000 LW2 is 98K miles -

OK that's good to know - I've done some work on my car instead of the dealership like: replaces O2 sensors, EGR valve, Crankshaft positioning sensor, replaced gas filter, oil/filter, coolent, transmission fluid.
I know I have saved tons by not using the dealership -
Would you say I have to use a Saturn dealership for the timming belt? Or could I just use a GM dealership? Because the same engine "L81" in used by other GM brands.
I wonder if it would be too much to ask for a step by step on what to remove to install the new plugs? I'll take pictures and then post them

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to swilroy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help swilroy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-25-2004, 03:46 PM   #5
lostwages_ls2
lostwages_ls2 is on a distinguished road

The only dealers that are likely to have the alignment tools are Saturn or a Cadillac dealer. The L81 was used in the Catera. The belt is about $75, the rest is labor. If you got to http://www.alldatadiy.com you can subscribe to online manuals. The show how to replace the plugs and timing belt.

Your Honor Student is merely a pawn in my Min Pin's diabolical world domination plot.

Obey the Min Pin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lostwages_ls2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lostwages_ls2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread