SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2015, 11:09 PM   #1
tink65
tink65 has a spectacular aura abouttink65 has a spectacular aura about

Default security light/ no start

2002 sl2 5sp BASE model, no power, no remote, no cruise, has ac and aftermarket radio.
Replaced clutch, finished job and no start!
Pcm was rmeoved for space alongnwith battery and all harness connections around tranny.
Turn key on, gauges flash, lights flash, engine cranks.
Check engine stays on of course, security light is on 5secinds, goes off, comes back on solid along with wrench light.
Did my research on here and tried every variation of bcm relearn i could find, has not solved my problem.
During the wait period, the security light never changes state, not even after a half hour.
I will not be able to get an obd scanner as the part store only loans them for parkong lot diagnostics.
HELP PLEASE!!!
I need to get this started in the morning

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tink65's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tink65 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tink65 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2015, 11:25 PM   #2
tink65

Default Re: security light/ no start

Should also note i have neverbhad anybissues with this car. Aside from the pcm I only disconnected the water temp sensor above the bellhousing, the grounds on the bellhousing bolts, and the top and side harness plugs on the transmission. Nothing was touched on the interior of the car, and nobparts aside the clutch was replaced. Is it just the pcm having been disconnected the tripped the security?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help tink65 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-24-2015, 03:37 AM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Try disconnecting battery negative then disconnect the pcm connector and carefully check for any bent pins. If none found, reconnect the pcm. Connect battery negative last. This allows the pcm to reset and maybe reset security.

With security still on, it means Passlock is disabled and doesn't stop the engine from starting and running but there may be another problem. Check all wiring and fuses carefully. With ignition off, the pcm, bcm and other electronics are still partially powered for memory. A fuse may have blown if wiring chafes against sharp metal edges while replacing the clutch.

If fuses and wiring are good, next steps are checking fuel pressure and spark.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:41 AM   #4
tink65

I did check the bcm fuse last night, it was good. I removed battery neg, then positive, was careful to have the harness pulled out of the way and all wires tucked out of harms way, so im not sure how at any pont there couldve been a fuse blow... Unless it happened for some reason when i reconnected the battery. I will check all fuses though to be sure, and try the pcm reset as you suggest.
If it helps, the fuel pump does not prime when you turn the key, which i attributed to the function of the security light. Maybe a clue there?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-24-2015, 09:57 AM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The fuel pump cycles on/off independently of GM's Passlock security system whether Passlock is enabled or not. At key ignition on, the fuel pump should have cycled on for 2 seconds, enough to hear the faint sounds of humming or hissing. That's a hint that the pcm is alive. You can also check for pump pressure by depressing the fuel test valve on the fuel rail; fuel should spray. After testing for fuel, spark testing can be done. Fuel and spark testing uncovers any EFI system faults.

Passlock security, when enabled and active as seen by a quickly flashing security light, disables injectors to prevent the engine from running. The starter will turn over the engine but the engine will never fire up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 07:36 PM   #6
tink65

PCM reset resolved the issue. thanks for the info!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-26-2015, 04:44 PM   #7
boatmoter
boatmoter is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2

I would lean towards a ground wire off in the tranny area somewhere, od smashed harness between bell housing and engine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to boatmoter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help boatmoter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
boatmoter is offline   Reply With Quote