SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 11:41 AM   #1
CoJames
CoJames is on a distinguished road

Default no start / security light

L300, auto, 200k miles.

I've had a bunch of no-start failures recently with the security light on. I have always been able to get it started with the relearn procedure (sometimes one 10-minute cycle, sometimes three).

I can always tell when it's going to happen because I'll shut off the car, get out and press the lock button on the keyfob - but the car won't respond at all. That's my cue that I'm going to be screwed next time I try to start the car.

I'm *guessing* that it is the BCM (or maybe the keyfob?), but is there any way I can know for sure without just replacing stuff? I've got to get this fixed soon or get rid of the car - I froze my a** off in a parking lot this AM waiting the full 30 minutes to reset.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CoJames's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CoJames reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CoJames is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2013, 07:31 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: no start / security light

Is the ignition key worn to the point that makes it difficult to turn the lock cylinder?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:39 PM   #3
CoJames

The key is worn, but I have never noticed it at all sticking or being difficult to turn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help CoJames reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-01-2013, 06:51 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Passlock is only enabled/disabled using the remote keyless entry keyfob. Be sure the keyfob is in working order to Lock, Unlock, release the trunk, and sound the horn when commanded. If the remote won't Unlock doors then the last remote operation to Lock doors also enabled Passlock and requires the Unlock command to disable Passlock or opening the driver's door and inserting/turning the ignition switch to ON/RUN in less than 10 seconds to prevent the alarm from sounding while disabling Passlock. Turning the ignition switch is the second method to disabling Passlock if the remote dies.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-01-2013, 08:54 PM   #5
CoJames

Thanks for the reply. So in this case, I still don't understand what that means? I get out (after I've been driving), and press the lock button - but it doesn't lock (it doesn't do anything at all). Multiple tries (lock, unlock, horn) don't do anything. Usually the keyfob works fine, but when this problem happens... well... nothing. When I get back into the car... no alarm, no obvious problems. But then I put the key in the ignition (immediately), and the security light comes on and I'm passlock'd out from starting. So is this a keyfob problem then? Or something else?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-01-2013, 09:26 PM   #6
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Well, this explanation seems more revealing than previous posts. The remote not working at all is either a remote or bcm issue. Since bcm's carry the bulk of body control functions, until you have major symptoms to point to a bcm failure, the remote is most likely the problem. Either replace the battery, clean and check both battery contacts to be sure none are broken, check operation by pressing LOCK & UNLOCK simultaneously next to the car to see/hear the doorlocks cycle to ensure its synched to the bcm or its broken. Use the spare remote and test it the same way. Remotes being used are more prone to damage than the bcm sitting on top of the glove box.

Worse case scenario is both remotes are in operative so don't waste your time with them. Replacement requires GM to program them. In the mean time, ensuring Passlock is deactivated any way you can get to this point will allow locking/unlocking using the key and master door lock switch in manual mode with no Passlock protection. By doing this you'll ensure that Passlock isn't activated to interfere with normal every day use. Is this a viable alternative for you to compromise and do without Passlock?

Last edited by fdryer; 02-01-2013 at 09:36 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-02-2013, 11:25 AM   #7
CoJames

OK I'm with you now. I've already tried replacing the remote's battery and cleaning the contacts. So yes, getting rid of the remote is probably a workable option. Thanks Fdryer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-02-2013, 09:22 PM   #8
mudawg
mudawg is on a distinguished road

had this happen to me. My key was just worn out and needed to be replaced at a dealer. No problems since..... I was able to pull my key out when the car was started though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mudawg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mudawg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mudawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:57 AM   #9
tismon
tismon is on a distinguished road

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

If that doesn't work, I went through a similar problem with a different result.

In the end, it was my battery post. For some reason, on all of my batteries (and posts), the post has to be tightened to the point of almost stripping it for everything to work correctly.

It seems that when I tried to turn-over the engine, the additional draw was too much without the post being in absolutely-full contact, the connection would cut out once in a while and the security protocols interpreted that as it was being hot-wired and of course, would lock down the car for a little while.

If this is the case for you, invest in a good quality battery tool and keep it in your car at all times.

Good luck

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tismon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tismon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tismon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:36 PM   #10
Zorillian
Zorillian is on a distinguished road

BCM........the BCM's are consistantly failing a good majority of the symptoms point to ignition issues with key and shifting and security light the manifestation of many other intermittent issues , wont shift out of park, key wont turn, key wont come out, security light on or flashing, gauges working intermittently...its the BCM phantom!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zorillian's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zorillian reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zorillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:45 AM   #11
cityhawk
Master Member
cityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to all

1993 SW2
2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Slight thread hijack here, but it seems that one of my key fobs (mine) works intermittently, while my wife's works all the time (except when the battery died, but it worked fine once the battery was replaced).

Is it a big deal to get a replacement fob from GM? Prohibitively expensive?

I have used the old fashioned method of key in the door, but it's not terribly convenient, especially when trying to load toddlers into the car, having to open the door with the key, reaching in to unlock the front door, then opening the back door.... meanwhile, my 2 year old has probably run around the car about five times. Not to mention, I live in the city and having a functioning security system is highly desirable.

Saturns:
1993 SW2 MT 186,000 hard Boston city miles ("Rozzie")
Gone but not forgotten:
2001 LW300 ("Elle")
1999 SW2 MT
Project cars:
1966 Corvair Monza convertible
1928 Ford Model A Tudor Sedan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cityhawk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cityhawk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cityhawk is offline   Reply With Quote