SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2012, 08:06 AM   #1
dandy505
dandy505 is on a distinguished road

Default security light - car won't start: possible solution

So you turn the key to start your car and find the passcode / security feature locks you out (locks out fuel pump) from starting your car. I have a solution that I finally figured out works. TRY THIS FIRST AS IT CAN SAVE YOU $ AND HEADACHES: have a new key cut and coded at the dealer. Cost me $10.

The ignition cylinder in the S series seems to eat keys like a kid on cake. Approx every 6 months (almost clockwork) I would have this passcode issue/car not start problem. Tried the wait 10 minutes, disconnect battery etc. etc. Well, it appears to be the case that the key wears down to a point where it is not turning what is necessary in the cylinder/ignition to start the car. The PCM tells BCM "it is being started without authorization/the proper key" and locks you out. Having a new key cut resolves the problem.

Sorry, I may have mashed the technical details of what is going down but I hope this easy fix helps someone else.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dandy505's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dandy505 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dandy505 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2012, 10:56 AM   #2
Gold Saturn
Gold Saturn is on a distinguished road

2000 SC1
Default Re: security light - car won't start: possible solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandy505 View Post
So you turn the key to start your car and find the passcode / security feature locks you out (locks out fuel pump) from starting your car. I have a solution that I finally figured out works. TRY THIS FIRST AS IT CAN SAVE YOU $ AND HEADACHES: have a new key cut and coded at the dealer. Cost me $10.

The ignition cylinder in the S series seems to eat keys like a kid on cake. Approx every 6 months (almost clockwork) I would have this passcode issue/car not start problem. Tried the wait 10 minutes, disconnect battery etc. etc. Well, it appears to be the case that the key wears down to a point where it is not turning what is necessary in the cylinder/ignition to start the car. The PCM tells BCM "it is being started without authorization/the proper key" and locks you out. Having a new key cut resolves the problem.

Sorry, I may have mashed the technical details of what is going down but I hope this easy fix helps someone else.
Very interesting if such is the case. The keys do get severely worn with repeated use over the years. The original key for my car takes about 10 minutes of twisting and jiggling the wheel before I'm finally able to unlock the steering wheel; luckily the spare was like new and that alleviated my problem altogether. Strange though, I've never had a problem starting the car even with a severely worn-down key. Perhaps that was next in-line for me...haha.

2000 SC1, 5 spd swapped @ 133k, totaled by drunk driver @ 165k, RIP

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gold Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gold Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gold Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:43 PM   #3
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

While not one to argue with success. IIRC, the Passlock portion of the ignition switch / lock is at the Top of the key slot ( closest to the insertion point ) so the wear of the key cut should not have any affect.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:24 PM   #4
dandy505
dandy505 is on a distinguished road

interesting facts. thanks for sharing. I'll keep my eye on the situation. honestly it may be sheer coincidence that the new key seems to resolve the problem for me... I should try the old key again now that the car is starting fine again although I don't want to invite more headache again.

A new cut key was the first step/suggestion by the parts guy at the dealer (VERY knowledgeable with Saturn as they serviced those vehicles and still do although a Suzuki dealer now that the Saturn line has been axed).

It worked for me but as mentioned, possibly coincidence with all the other steps etc. I took before the new key started the car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dandy505's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dandy505 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dandy505 is offline   Reply With Quote