SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Community Center > Introductions & Greetings
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2009, 12:08 PM   #1
gresso
gresso is on a distinguished road

2002 SL
Default Well hello.

I've owned my 2002 SL for five years. It's been a good car during that time. The only trouble it has had was due to the negligence of inept mechanics, so now I do maintenance and repairs myself. Speaking of which, richpin's Youtube videos have been an invaluable resource and I have used them many times. I don't think there's any way I can adequately thank him for the amount of money and headaches he's saved me.

I've also got a technical question, but I'm not sure where to post it, so I'll put it here and maybe someone can point me in the right direction:

Before you read, I want to know if the shift cables or even oil change can affect the self-adjustment of the clutch plate.

January of 2008 I first noticed my clutch slipping while I was driving in fifth gear and put the gas pedal to the floor. The problem got slightly worse over the next few months. I brought the car to many mechanics - including two Saturn dealerships - and the verdict was always the same: the clutch was bad and needed to be replaced.

My car only had 40k miles at the time and I know how to shift a car, so this didn't seem to make sense.

Over the course of a year, it got worse. Also, about six months ago, I noticed a squeal when I depress the clutch. I surmised this is the pilot bearing.

Last month, exactly one year after I first noticed my clutch problem, my up/down shift cable snapped while I was driving. I didn't know this at the time, but I did know the car was stuck in fifth gear. I was at a busy intersection and the only way to safely move my car was to drive onto the shoulder in fifth gear with the clutch slipping badly. When I got out of my car, I could smell the clutch burning.

I received estimates of $400 to replace the shift cables. I went to the junkyard and picked up a pair for $23 and installed them myself in two hours. When I got the car running, the clutch was slipping worse than ever. It would slide into first gear, and I had to be incredibly careful when accelerating.

The next week I changed the oil.

Two days later, my clutch problem disappeared completely. It has now been over two weeks and it's driving like new. I can be driving 30, or even 25, slam it into fifth gear and mash the gas pedal, and the clutch won't budge. The pilot bearing doesn't squeal any more either.

What happened? Should I be worried or relieved? And does this have anything to do with the new shift cables?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gresso's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gresso reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gresso is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2009, 01:00 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Well hello.

Welcome to Saturnfans!

Just repost what you already wrote by copying and pasting everything but the first few introductory sentences, in the S-tech forums with a new topic. You'll have suggestions soon afterwards.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 05:09 PM   #3
SaturnSdn
Master Member
SaturnSdn will become famous soon enoughSaturnSdn will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Well Hello ..............

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnSdn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnSdn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnSdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:43 PM   #4
SinCitySaturn
SinCitySaturn is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L
1997 SL2

Hi there....

Saturn Saved The Best For Last
Live for Nothing...Or Die For Something

2008 Vue XR 3.6
1997 SL2 Auto 110K miles as of 12-14-13
<-----2002 Chevrolet Camaro SS 35th Anniversary

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SinCitySaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SinCitySaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SinCitySaturn is offline   Reply With Quote