SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2005, 12:18 AM   #1
Silver02ex
Silver02ex is on a distinguished road

1991 SL2
Default My car got violated AGAIN!!!

4 months ago my car was stolen, it was found 2 week ago, with the CD player got ripped out. I put brand new Kenwood CD player in to replace it, and bought one of those "auto club". I thought every was great. I walked out to my car late this afternoon and saw that my back seats was folded down, i'm thinking WTF? Looked up at my rear window and saw that it was broken, saw that the new CD player got ripped out. Now i just need to vent, so here's what happened after getting my Saturn back for a week. I don't know if this happened last night, this morning of afternoon, since I took the Civic to work and didn't drive the Saturn since yesterday. I think i'm gonna replace my window and find just a stock tape deck and one of those portable CD player.

Any idea how much it's going to cost to replace this window? if it was brand new with labor? i'm gonna see if I can find a junk yard that might have it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg glass3.JPG (32.6 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg CD1.JPG (40.9 KB, 132 views)

2002 Honda Civic EX
1991 Saturn SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Silver02ex's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Silver02ex reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Silver02ex is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2005, 12:35 AM   #2
flanclan
flanclan is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: My car got violated AGAIN!!!

Sorry to hear it happened again ... right when you think things are back to normal.

At least it doesn't look too bad, but it's the hassle of having to get things fixed again that makes it all the worse.

Hopefully the cops can get the guys that did it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to flanclan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help flanclan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
flanclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 12:36 AM   #3
dansl2
Advanced Member
dansl2 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

Sorry to read that, especially since you just got it back. I would start looking at your neighbors. Someone knew you put in a new Cd player & they also knew the car was going to sit for a while. Probably knew you just got it back too! Somebody close to you knows who did it, I think.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dansl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dansl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dansl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 12:49 AM   #4
Silver02ex

1991 SL2

I think what piss me off the most is that, I did every I could to make sure nothing bad happened. Put the "club" on, AND took out the face to the CD player. parked it under a well lighted area, right in front of the apartment complex office, removed everything valuble, and in plain sight.

2002 Honda Civic EX
1991 Saturn SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Silver02ex reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-13-2005, 04:49 AM   #5
Spazie
Master Member
Spazie will become famous soon enough

1993 SC2
1999 SL2

I'd try setting up a motion detector or something. Get a wireless motion detector (can be bought pretty cheap at Lowe's and such), set up the sensor inside your car (out of sight) and carry the detector inside. It'll set off the detector when it senses motion, you can look out your window and catch them in the act (hopefully!). Plus you could always mount it in your apartment when you're done and have a little home security too.

Be sure to contact the apartment complex management and let them know what's happening. They may not realize they have a crime problem. See if they have a courtesy officer. If you live in or near a big city, they probably do - it's usually a city police officer that on his off-duty time will patrol the complex, and in return, they give him a break on his rent each month. They aren't there all the time, but usually are there at night or during the early evenings.

Find out if they have anyone patrolling the area during the times your car was stolen and when it was broken into. See if you can contact the patrol officer and ask him to keep an eye on your car because it's been stolen and returned, and broken into now also. Just the presence of a police officer may be enough to scare would-be theifs away.

And even if you don't have insurance to report this to, be sure to contact the police. If they notice a pattern in that apartment complex, they'll step up patrols there.

I also highly highly highly agree with dansl2 that it's one of your neighbors. If you get something new installed (get something cheap from Wal-Mart or something), do not install it while parked near where you normally park. Have it installed at Best Buy, or go to a neighbor's house to put it in. Don't tell a single soul that you put in a new stereo. And don't leave your Saturn sitting unattended for long periods of time. Take it to work with you when you can. If they've only been targeting the Saturn, they'll be looking for it, not your Honda.

And pull your fuel pump fuse so they can't steal your car again!

13 Chevy Equinox, 46k, built in Spring Hill!
04 VUE 3.5, 196k
99 SL2 Homecoming, 211k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spazie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spazie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Spazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 04:55 AM   #6
Bullet
Bullet is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
Thumbs Down Re: My car got violated AGAIN!!!

Sorry, but I really think about moving out of there.

79k Miles,FWD,XM radio.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bullet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bullet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 02:10 PM   #7
dstefun
dstefun is on a distinguished road

That sucks! The new glass comes with seal etc for $135 from the dealer (with probably $200 labor), $35-$50 from online auto wreckers, probably $20-$30 at a local PickNPull. If you have a PickNPull local, it's half price weekend! Good luck! And yeah, I'm with Bullet - move outta there!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dstefun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dstefun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dstefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 02:23 PM   #8
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2000 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver02ex
, AND took out the face to the CD player.
Wait a minute. They stole the CD player without the face on it?

Someone is messing with you. Probably the people who orginally stole the car.

Saturnparts.net has the glass for $118.33. I have one from our parts car I'd be willing to sell you pretty cheap. Plus I'd provide complete instruction on how to do it yourself. Its actually pretty easy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 03:10 PM   #9
Silver02ex

1991 SL2

[QUOTE=Low Saturn]Wait a minute. They stole the CD player without the face on it?

Someone is messing with you. Probably the people who orginally stole the car.

[QUOTE]

Exactly... Right now i have just the face plate with no deck. I can't believe someone acutally went through all that trouble for a CD player they can't even use.

As far as the glass. I got a quote for about $230 installed with a lifetime warrenty. Best deal I can find around here.

2002 Honda Civic EX
1991 Saturn SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-13-2005, 03:24 PM   #10
sc2dave
sc2dave is on a distinguished road

how about installing an alarm also?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sc2dave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sc2dave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sc2dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 12:09 AM   #11
Lee3333
Lee3333 is on a distinguished road

1999 SW2

I have heard that if you have the right connections, you can get a face plate by itself (for example, if the thief has a friend that has an car audio shop).

Another thing is to NOT play your radio loud as you approach where you live. Although I knew better, I wasn't thinking one night years ago as I turned the corner and saw a group of teenagers hanging out down the block from where I lived. As I drove by, they all looked. I had a bad feeling as I parked in the basement garage of my apartment house. Sure enough, the next morning my window was broken and the stereo was gone. (This was in my pre-Saturn days).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Lee3333's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Lee3333 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Lee3333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 12:20 AM   #12
1993SC2
Advanced Member
1993SC2 is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2

my 93 got paintballed in my senior year of high school.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1993SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1993SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1993SC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 02:15 AM   #13
scarryomen
scarryomen is on a distinguished road

i actually take metal strap with holes in it bolt it to the radio then find some place to bolt it to the firewall or dashboard frame. older stereos had a bolt hole in the back to support the rear. now i slid the case off and bolt it to the side. they tear apart the dash but it beats losing a $500 radio, not to mention the longer it takes to steal it the better a chance someone will see them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to scarryomen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help scarryomen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
scarryomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 02:50 AM   #14
marcusa
marcusa is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1

At least the thief was considerate enough to break the small window, itcould've been worse. And I agree with everyone's who's said it's a neighbor. It is. Maybe you should figure out a way to wire the radio or even a metal bar or something in front of it to the battery (or even a spare), give 'em a good shock to teach them a lesson.

People who do things like that are for the most part really stupid. I'll probably never know for sure, but the person who rear-ended me a while back and got mad at me for reporting it to the police went into my driveway at night and cut my tire. Lucky for me that tire was as bald as half the older men in my family and I had 4 new expensive Sumitomo H-speed rated tires I had just gotten from the TireRack sitting in my garage since I was procrastinating getting them installed. A coule of days before I hydroplanned and was kicking myself in the butt for letting my procrastination almost get me in a wreck, but the subsequent cutting guaranteed my continuing procrastination.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marcusa's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marcusa reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marcusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 10:07 AM   #15
bobwill
bobwill is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-1 Sedan

Something that I started thinking about after reading this post. Imagine this: hook a high voltage capacitor up to the metalic cage of a car stereo, then rig up a tripwire. A bad guy goes to rip your stereo out, instant electric shock that would fry him and the stereo.

It could be an interesting conversation starter with the neighbors.
-Hey Bob, you know your driver's door is open and there's a dead guy sitting in your driver's seat?
-Yep, I suspect he was trying to steal my stereo. I think I'll leave him there as a deterent to other criminals that might try to mess with my car.

Bob

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bobwill's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bobwill reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bobwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 11:21 AM   #16
Silver02ex

1991 SL2

Is there a way I can install the new deck so everytime I park my car for the night, i can just slide the deck out and disconnect the connector that goes to the new deck. I mean if removing the face plate will not stop them, I might as well just take the whole thing inside with me. Hopefully if I can do that and leave the wires hanging, they won't have any reason to break into the car. *cross fingers*

2002 Honda Civic EX
1991 Saturn SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-14-2005, 12:15 PM   #17
dansl2
Advanced Member

2000 SL2

I don't know how it would look, but back in the 80's most of my friends had removable radio/casete decks in thier cars. These were mostly 60's-70's vintage so there was more room, but you probably could find something similar around today. Another friend had his stereo ripped, but because of a noise abatement thing at his apartment he couldn't have an alarm. So he hooked up a small red diode that flashed whenever he turned off the car. Made it Look like an anti-theft device was installed....oh, he also bought some stickers for the window warning about theft device installed, prosecution, etc. Worked for him, nobody bothered his car again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help dansl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-14-2005, 05:54 PM   #18
Lee3333
Lee3333 is on a distinguished road

1999 SW2

The device you are looking for was called a Bensi Box. It was a plastic case with terminals in the back. It slid into another plastic case that was mounted in the dashboard. For a long time in the 70's abd 80's, everywhere you looked you saw people with these heavy rectangular bags hanging from their shoulders. They were designed to hold the Bensi Box. But, it grew quite cumbersom carrying along your entire radio. Plus, if it dropped, you were in trouble. Plus, I suppose a criminal would find it easier to steal the bag you were carrying since it contained the complete radio.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Lee3333's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Lee3333 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Lee3333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 06:28 PM   #19
dansl2
Advanced Member

2000 SL2

^^^^or they put it in the locked trunk.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-14-2005, 09:06 PM   #20
ion46mpg
ion46mpg is on a distinguished road

I would put the faceplate in plain view on the passenger seat and somehow affix some piano string to it and tie it to something. Then when the sob returned to take it i would take that piano string and make him a nice necklace with it........hmm am i thinking out loud........Kidding. But i would put it on the seat and try to catch the bugger that did it. Only place it on the seat when you know you can pay some attention

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ion46mpg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ion46mpg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ion46mpg is offline   Reply With Quote