SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What should Saturn's next vehicle be?
Minivan (a la CV-1) 6 7.32%
Convertible (Sky) 18 21.95%
L-Based Coupe 15 18.29%
Hybrid (electric/gas) 14 17.07%
Pickup Truck 4 4.88%
Full-size V8 Sedan (Lincoln LS/300M) 2 2.44%
Hot Hatchback (Focus/CRX) 10 12.20%
Something else.... 13 15.85%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2001, 05:41 PM   #1
rzklkng
rzklkng is on a distinguished road

Idea What should Saturn's NEXT products be...

What do you think?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rzklkng's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rzklkng reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2001, 06:32 PM   #2
ClapDaddy
Advanced Member
ClapDaddy will become famous soon enough

A Hybrid would allow Saturn to again show some "different" thinking.

I really believe that the engineers, if let alone, could make it a real winner.

Al

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ClapDaddy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ClapDaddy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-07-2001, 06:56 PM   #3
100KSW2
Master Member
100KSW2 is on a distinguished road

Hi Ron

There was a previous poll on an older version of this message board where a lot of people voted for building the SCT (an SC2 with a turbocharged motor).

I don't think Saturn has the money to do a hybrid, even though it would be a good fit (EV-1).

To be ahead of the curve for a change I think Saturn should build a hot Touring wagon. All kinds of wagons are being done by everyone from Subaru to Lexus to Mazda. I would prefer something compact and sporty like the Protege5, but since the SW2 is gone here is an old picture of an LW concept.

Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg touringlw.jpg (12.6 KB, 393 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 100KSW2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 100KSW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-07-2001, 07:46 PM   #4
Harry
Advanced Member
Harry is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
Thumbs Up

I like the Euro Wagon, and voted for an L series coupe. Hey, how about the 2-door wagon Nomad concept someone else has mentioned. A 2-door Euro Wagon!

In truth, you could turn an LW into a Euro wagon with some big wheels and some custom painting of the black and chrome body parts. I think the LW's look mighty fine as they are in dark colours but in light ones, I think the Euro look is nice.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Harry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Harry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-07-2001, 08:13 PM   #5
Phil
Advanced Member
Phil is on a distinguished road

Definitely a hatch-type vehicle. With the concerns over gas mileage, I have an inkling that those of us who are under 30 are more likely to buy a small hatchback/wagon than an SUV. Most current SUVs cost over $5000 more than a wagon of similar capacity, and mileage is usually 6-10mpg lower on the SUV. Then there is the performance aspect. Just don't doll it up with all kinds of "X"s or "MP3" type junk in the name.

When I buy my next vehicle (prob. about 15 months away), I will be strongly considering hatch/wagon type vehicles (Mazda Protege 5, Hyundai Elantra GT, Toyota Matrix, etc.), and ONLY those cars that have rear disc brakes and a decent power to weight ratio will be considered. I just want a driveable car that will hold my stuff.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Phil's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Phil reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-07-2001, 10:02 PM   #6
Yankeez
Yankeez is on a distinguished road

A sport compact 3 door and five door hatch based on the delta platform. I think smaller cars are going to make a comeback especially with the ecomnomy just being stagnat as it is. A friend of mine just got a protege5 16" chrome wheels and everything. I think people wan't more than just a sedan body style in a small car.

My second choice would be a L-series coupe. So many cars look like they came from the same styling dept. these days. And the majority of cars that are built are reliable and work well so style can make all the difference. look at the PT cruiser. A mediocre powertrain and it was (is) a major hit with a nicley styled wagon body.

I happen to think the 2002 SC2 is the best looking Saturn right now but it is priced to high especially with just a few options tacked on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Yankeez's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Yankeez reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-08-2001, 12:17 AM   #7
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L
I voted for the hybrid because I am beginning to believe that this country's economic problems may be a lot more serious and longer lasting than any of us wish. Since most of us live well beyond walking distance of our workplaces, I think the market for safe, small and efficient commuter cars is going to grow. It's not the scenario I prefer but I think it may be a realistic one. :o:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-08-2001, 01:45 AM   #8
SpeedPlayer 97sl2
SpeedPlayer 97sl2 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
2002 SC2

I voted for the L-coupe. I think Saturn could tap into this market quite well if they offer a coupe as good or better than the Solara, Sebring/Avenger Coupes, Cougar, and Accord Coupes. If they can manage to keep the L-sedan Euro handling, braking, and ride attributes, and maintain clean, understated, somewhat aggressive styling, they could have a winner on their hands.

I absolutely LOVE the LW-Touring Concept. If they made it, it would be *THE* Saturn for me to own. Keep everything the same as the concept, except give me one in Bright Silver exterior and black leather interior.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SpeedPlayer 97sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SpeedPlayer 97sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-08-2001, 02:31 AM   #9
Plastic Gravity

Its time for the coupe to have class leading performance again. A light pressure Turbo would be my choice...with the LPT you have an engine that behaves like a normal engine until you need the "afterburner". The LPT motors like Saab and Audi use get high praise from the media, Saturn could do the same thing. You get great reliabilty, power, mileage, driveability and reduced lag. And all on stock internals.

180HP to 240HP, 6Speed, 4wheeldisc, and not a hint of any "friendly" styling or chick consumer clinics!

A L-Coupe would be great too. But it needs more HP!! and a new front end.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Plastic Gravity's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Plastic Gravity reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

Old 09-08-2001, 06:54 AM   #10
Heartbeat - '95 SL2
Heartbeat - '95 SL2 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

Something else . . . a RWD roadster with better front/rear weight balance. Something priced lower than the Miata, and not necessarily a convertible.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Heartbeat - '95 SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Heartbeat - '95 SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-08-2001, 10:17 AM   #11
Abe95SC2
Abe95SC2 is on a distinguished road

I voted for a "L" series coupe. But only one with a V-6 with good HP/torque output will do. My next car will have to be bigger than my current '95 SC2 and I'd like to have a bigger, more muscular (not musclecar) Saturn coupe to move up to.

Saturn I really hope you are listening, I like the car company but the current products do not excite me. Build a hot coupe/2dr hatch (really any size will do). Then, advertise the heck out of the CAR not the company (everyone alreadly likes the company).

Do this and a new generation of satisfied Saturn owners will be "born".

Abe.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Abe95SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Abe95SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-08-2001, 10:53 PM   #12
Dr. Bob
Master Member
Dr. Bob is on a distinguished road

I'd like a wider range of s- series such that the vehicle appeals to a wider demographic. Push the edges a bit into new markets.

For example:

-- go after the performance enthusiast by adding a high end SC3 with more aggressive looks, wheels/tires, handling package, distinctive graphics and more power, possibly the add of a supercharger to the normal engine.

-- go after those who want an upscale, luxurious small car by adding a high end SL3 with a more refined interior, acoustics. possibly add some distinctive badging/graphics as well.

-- go after the entry buyer with a bit more refined car for about the same money now.

-- I'd love to see a 2-seat utility vehicle (e.g. mini-pickup) based on the s-series. If any of you remember the Subaru BRAT, that's sort of the concept. Key here is that the mileage/size needs to be in the current s-series range to carve out its own niche in the market.

-- My wife wants to see a Saturn bigger than the L-series.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dr. Bob's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dr. Bob reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-09-2001, 09:22 AM   #13
Yankeez
Yankeez is on a distinguished road

Thumbs Up

I like the Brat type vehicle idea. The main reason why I won't get a pick up is because it would handle like a pick up and I like driving for the fun of it. The commute is the best part of my workday. It would also be pretty cool do have something that looks like nothing else. There are two vehicles that are close to your idea coming out.

- The Chevy SSR, but it will be a convertible hardtop with RWD and a V8 therefore priced in the high 20k range.

- A 4-door Subaru with a short pick up bed based on the Legacy platform I believe, it was just on speedvision yesterday during a 1/2 hour subaru infomercial program. It was all wheel drive of course but the ride hieght and platform where closer to a car than a four door pick up.

I can't see either of those vehicles being under 20 grand though, so a S-series based two door with a small bed would seem to be in it's own market segment and perfect as a commuter vehicle with decent handling and gas mileage, yet able to do light pick up duty that every homeowner occasionaly needs. I think it could look really good also.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Yankeez's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Yankeez reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-09-2001, 10:43 PM   #14
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

Thumbs Up Pontiac Vibe / Toyota Matrix

Make something cool, quick, and cutting edge like the Matrix or Vibe and we can talk. These are really neat cars and seem to offer a lot of the versatility that the mini-youts do, without the sloppy handling and poor MPG.

180 HP and a 6 speed - if only GM would wake up...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to piney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-10-2001, 02:35 AM   #15
GoKyu L300
GoKyu L300 is on a distinguished road

About the poll: I chose the L-Series coupe. I got to ride in my friend's 5 speed 2001 SC2. It felt nice, but still could be a little larger in leg and head room. If they made a coupe with a V6 and 5 (or even 6...*drool*) speed transmission...they could really start to have a serious competitor to the Solara and Accord coupe.

piney: Nissan's getting close to that with their new 2002 Altima - certainly an option in my search for a new 5 speed.

The *4 cylinder* engine pumps out 175hp@6,000RPM (they've been saying 180 in the magazines), with 181 ft-lbs of torque@4,000RPM. In comparison, the L300 is a V6 engine with 182hp@5,600RPM, and 190 ft-lbs of torque@3,600RPM. So even the 4 cylinder Altima might be a good choice if I didn't want to spend lots of extra money. I do plan to test drive both engines.

The big news though, and if I decide I have to have the bigger engine....a 3.5 liter DOHC V6, with 240hp@5,800RPM, and 246 ft-lbs of torque@4,400RPM. *AND* it comes standard with a 5 speed manual transmission. Saturn (and Toyota, to some degree - I think their new 2002 Camry won't come with a stick/V6 option) need to wake up and see what's out there. At least 3 cars - The Altima, Maxima, and Camry Solara come with a 5 speed mated to the V6 engine. Obviously *someone* wants this combination.

On a different note, I saw a review and pictures online of the Toyota Matrix, and while it looks ok (there's a Pontiac, I think, that looks very similar to it) on the inside (nice racecar-like pedals), I can't say much for the exterior styling. It seems like a smaller car too, which wouldn't work for me (just judging by the note I saw that said it's closer in size to a Corolla rather than a Camry.)

-Bryan

Last edited by GoKyu L300; 09-10-2001 at 02:42 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GoKyu L300's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GoKyu L300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-10-2001, 08:03 AM   #16
beasjd

I like the SC3 idea. Make it a V6, turbo or super charge it, and make it AWD. Something kind of like the Eclipse/Talon. You could do the same thing with an SL, like subaru did with the wrx and mitsubishi is doing with the lancer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to beasjd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help beasjd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

Old 09-10-2001, 10:19 AM   #17
thatjerryguy
thatjerryguy will become famous soon enoughthatjerryguy will become famous soon enough

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Thumbs Up

Saturn should introduce the following 4 vehicles:

1) A convertible roadster, though not one as cutsie as the Sky. The roadster would be a high-performance model, maybe with a turbo/supercharged 4 or V6, built in limited numbers to ensure a certain exclusivity. If it's cost effective, make it RWD.

2) A "Sport-Trac" type model of the VUE. This would give Saturn a nice selection of crossover vehicles, allowing them to compete in what is becoming a very popular vehicle class. Maybe somewhere down the line, Saturn could offer a VUE with a canvas top.

3) An L-Series coupe. This would give Saturn a nicely rounded midsized selection. The L-Coupe would be more driver-oriented than even the L300.

4) A Sport Wagon along the lines of the Pontiac Vibe and built off the Delta platform. It would complement the S-Series, and be available in FWD and AWD.

I wish, I hope, I wish, I hope, I wish, I hope, I wish, I hope...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to thatjerryguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help thatjerryguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-10-2001, 12:57 PM   #18
StuartLittleSL2
StuartLittleSL2 is on a distinguished road

Dizzy Convertible

With a money no object , an L-series coupe and convertible combo would be great. Even better with the 4.2 litre Inline 6 and rear wheel drive. Of course that would cost billions of dollars to develope. But had GM developed this instead of the Aztec and Lumina minivan abortions, they would be riding high.

As for small cars, how about an S-series convertible and hatchback.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to StuartLittleSL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help StuartLittleSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-10-2001, 08:39 PM   #19
cityhawk
Master Member
cityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to behold

1993 SW2

Amen, JimC93SW2! I selected "other" with precisely that in mind. Sport wagons are hot!

I agree that an L-coupe would help to generate L-series excitement, though the Nissan Maxima has done it without a coupe. I think that subtle option packages for the L-series would go a long way to change the way people think about the cars (in wagon as well as sedan -- or possible coupe-- offerings).

For example, the vast majority of Maxima buyers buy the car with an auto tranny. But to offer the car with a stick says "this is a performance car, though you may be a wuss and get it with an automatic if you like."

Also a hot version of the S-series is imperative to boost the excitement for that car even if they don't sell many in that version. I have seen no more than two Honda Civic Si's on the road, yet ask a person how the S series compares to the Civic and comparisons to the Si start appearing on this message board.

That being said, I hope Saturn continues to be a company that offers sensible cars... if they produce cars that get crummy gas mileage, or hulking SUV's they lose a lot of what makes them Saturn, in my opinion. They need to be leaders in safety and environmental-mindedness, but those things don't have to be mutually exclusive with excitement.

But please, Saturn, the L-series wagon is a great, hot car that needs to be marketed as such, during this time of resurgence of sporty wagons. A sport/touring/performance version of the LW300 with a nice body kit and 16/17 inch rims, etc and available stick should really get some attention.

And bring back the SW with a similar excitement package in mind and you'll have a hit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cityhawk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cityhawk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-13-2001, 03:19 PM   #20
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Happy a miata clone in plastic

after test driving a miata, my vote is that saturn should copy the mx-5 miata using the 95-96 sc2 body with the 1.9L twincam rotated 90 degrees to make it rear drive. lose the struts and use double wishbones on each corner. use the space where the rear seat was to fold the top into so it will not eat into the trunk space.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread