SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 12:09 AM   #1
ratso
ratso is on a distinguished road

Default jumped battery - transmission problems

'94 SL2 - battery went dead so i got a boost to get it home - immediately auto transmission clunked from gear to gear, also on the downshift, and into reverse - i don't live near a saturn dealer - had a mechanic install a new battery - still clunked - had a transmission centre put it on a scope - said nothing wrong with the transmission, but too much pressure being exerted on shifts - said he didn't have codes to reset something - GM dealer won't work on saturns

do i need to simply reflash the transaxle's memory in the PCM? by unhooking the neg battery terminal for 15 secs? or does a Saturn dealer need to reset or reprogram something?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ratso's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ratso reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2004, 02:52 AM   #2
sierrap615
Master Member
sierrap615 is on a distinguished road

when the cable were hook up, did they spark? hooked up the right way? if a intermittent bad diode can mess up the auto trans, i'd bet screwing up a jump would too.

maybe have the shop check for a bad diode in the alternator too, its happened before(autozone can't preform this test)

Formerly - Saturn of Downers Grove Parts Department
Current - Castle Chevy in Villa Park Parts Department

EPA 608 Certification
EPA 609 Certification

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sierrap615's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sierrap615 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-04-2004, 08:01 AM   #3
TedL
TedL is on a distinguished road

Your dead battery could be a symptom of a bad (though not yet completely failed) alternator. This could also explain the tranny problems. (Search for the numerous posts mentioning this.)

How old is your alternator? You can go to a Saturn dealer and hve them run diagnostics, or for about the same money you can put in a reman alternator (yourself) and have a good chance of fixing the problem. Depending on the age of the alternator, I'd be more or less inclined to do the latter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TedL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TedL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-04-2004, 08:59 AM   #4
ratso

thanks - the car has 70,000 miles on it - the alternator was replaced by saturn at 50,000 - my mechanic said it was ok, but from other posts, he may not have done a complete check.

i'm in canada - no autozone - since no one in this city knows what to do, i have to drive 40 miles to the nearest saturn dealer -
i've read all the other posts - after jumping the battery, the ABS and BRAKE warning lights stayed on until the battery was replaced - i agree that the alternator should be checked out first - but i have to let saturn do this.

would a dead battery screw up the PCM settings? if not, then it's likely the alternator.

is resetting the PCM as simple as disconnecting the neg battery terminal for 15 secs? if so i can eliminate that option in a few minutes.

i've checked all the fuses - could the auto trans relay have been damaged by a spark when i jumped the battery? i don't remember a spark, but what could that have damaged?

to try to keep the cost down, i'd like to tell saturn in what order to test things - any suggestions? thanks again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ratso reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-04-2004, 11:30 AM   #5
TedL
TedL is on a distinguished road

If a 15 second disconnect were going to fix things, I expect it would have already happened when you had the battery replaced. Power was disconnected for at least that long, right.

Since the tranny wasn't misbehaving before the battery failed, it would seem the alternator was OK then. But either the boost, or running the alternator at full load to charge a dead battery, may have damaged the alternator.

I have to leave it to one of the techs to give you odds on tranny vs. alternator.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TedL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TedL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-04-2004, 06:05 PM   #6
ratso

took it to a saturn dealer in hamilton today - downshifted fine coming off highway - but hard shifts continued on upshift through town.

saturn said "checked trans data - checked for codes - checked actuator - operation all ok -> mechanical problem -> trans requires disassemble" next monday.

i have a friend (class A) that suggests we first recheck the alternator tomorrow.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-04-2004, 09:35 PM   #7
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

A mechanical problem would more likely (to my thinking) to be more in just one or two gears. Not having seen what your Saturn did I won't neccesarily say that they are full of it. Did they do a line pressure test? Test flow on an auto trans would be verify problem, check for codes to see if any are present or in history, do an actuator audible test and then a line pressure test. At that point in time if every thing else checks as ok then an internal problem would be the best suspect. At some point in there a check of trans fliuid is always a good idea. Check for level and condition.

If the trans was operating normally up until the battery was replaced then the poor alt is still the top culprit. You need to find some place that can check the alternator diodes and or their patterns. Either that or get a good used alt and put it in DIY. If that does not fix it then .....

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-04-2004, 11:23 PM   #8
ym42
Advanced Member
ym42 is on a distinguished road

Judging by the fact that your warning lights stayed on after you jumpstarted the car most likely there is some problem with the alternator or other parts of the electrical system. Transmission is probably just fine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ym42's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ym42 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-04-2004, 11:37 PM   #9
Kohnen
Kohnen is on a distinguished road

I agree. Get the alternator replaced. You quite possibly need a new battery also - it's a good idea because dying alternators kill batteries, and dying batteries kill alternators.

Once the electrical & charging system is in good shape, the transmission's computer probably will be far happier, and it will run just fine.

Hope that's good news for you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kohnen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kohnen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-08-2004, 08:35 PM   #10
ratso

Happy

RESOLVED !
my mechanic checked the alternator - it was ok - then, after a few days of driving, by my mechanic, mostly highway, the transmission righted itself - or should i say the PCM/TC relearned the shift timing by itself.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread