SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2019, 04:50 AM   #1
PrestonIII
PrestonIII has a spectacular aura aboutPrestonIII has a spectacular aura aboutPrestonIII has a spectacular aura about

1994 SL2
1994 SL2
Default My experience with Motor Oils and my Saturn

I have a '94 SL2 HCE with about 70K miles on it.

Since my car is 25 years old, I KNOW that this 0W-20 weight oil that every oil change shop uses is NOT the oil for my car! I'm pretty sure that my car was supposed to have 10W-30 when new 25 years ago. And since Saturn's are known for their oil consumption, it likely needs something a little heavier now due to it's accumulated miles.

The local Chevy dealer had a $14.99 oil change special to be had with an appointment and free inspection. So I set up an appointment.

Once there, I told them I wanted a high mileage oil because my car was 25 years old. The service writer substituted Mobil Delvac 10W-30 or 15W-40, whatever, and charged me an additional $20 for the substitution. This was acceptable to me. $37 later, I left.

Over the next 3000 miles, I put 4 more quarts of oil in the car to make it to the next oil change.

Here's the rub: I normally use Rotella T5 oil in all my cars. It's a synthetic blend DIESEL oil 15W-40, and the recommended oil change is 50,000 miles in a DIESEL! The newest car I have is a '94, so they need the extra protection of an older, higher mileage car. And I figure putting 6000-9000 miles between oil changes isn't a problem as long as I change the oil filter around 5000-6000 miles.

On my most recent oil change, I went back to the Chevy dealer, but supplied my own Rotella T5 to change it with. The oil cost me $16 at Walmart, and the oil change was something like $!7. So I saved a whole $4 (sarcasm).

BUT, it's been nearly 1200 miles since that time, and my oil has not dropped down on the dipstick AT ALL.

My Saturn doesn't burn Rotella, but it drinks Mobil Delvac.

And the service writer at the Chevy dealer complained that, since I was using my own oil, he wasn't making any money by selling his oil!!!! Um? Duh? My thoughts are that he made 100% profit on his oil, because I paid for it (the 0W-20 included in the price of the oil change), but didn't use it, and he didn't put it in a container for me to take with me! All he did was supply the GM oil filter, and the labor to do the oil change. And I actually watched him put MY Rotella in my car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PrestonIII's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PrestonIII reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PrestonIII is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2019, 08:45 AM   #2
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2
Default Re: My experience with Motor Oils and my Saturn

The 15W-40 sounds too thick, but if it seems to be working...
I use T5 in my lawn mowers only and change it when it looks dirty.
R.I.P. Rotella T
My SC2 uses AmsOil HD Diesel 5W-30 and I change it at 3000 miles.

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it).
Oil use is 1 ounce per 100 miles with ~230,000 miles on the engine

Last edited by bumpdraft; 10-14-2019 at 08:49 AM.. Reason: Einstein-level commentary added to thrill and amaze

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 09:40 AM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The 15w-40 will run with elevated oil temperatures that can lead to oil breakdown. SOHC would be less of a problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 12:33 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If you're ok with sluggish starting this winter with 15w40, keep using it. Just be aware of slower starter turnover with thicker oil in freezing weather. 0w20 is perfect for winter use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:00 PM   #5
98_Gold_Uranus
98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

Call me old school, but I've always been the "change the oil and filter every 3k miles" type... I use the cheapest dyno oil in my 98 Saturn (5w30), my 04 Blazer (5w30), and my 2010 Elantra (5w20), although the Blazer gets a high mileage formulat since it's pushing 220k miles; the Saturn only has 70k and the Elantra has about 110k. Ironic that my oldest vehicle has the less mileage... But even on my newest truck I've ever owned, a 2010 F150, purchased new, Ford claimed the oil change interval to be every 5k miles. But even with using Mobile 1 in it, I still did routine 3k oil changes.

It hasn't failed me yet, so that's what I'm sticking too. I still check the level every other gas fill up or so, mostly because I'm OCD lol. My Elantra doesn't burn or leak a bit, the Saturn might loose 1/2 quart between oil changes, and the Blazer, well it's an old Chevy, it just leaks everywhere lol, it usually eats about 1.5 quarts between oil changes.

98 SL2, 70k miles, kept in the family since new!

Her name is Uranus :)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 98_Gold_Uranus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 98_Gold_Uranus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
98_Gold_Uranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 09:49 PM   #6
PrestonIII
PrestonIII has a spectacular aura aboutPrestonIII has a spectacular aura aboutPrestonIII has a spectacular aura about

1994 SL2
1994 SL2

0W-20 isn't thick enough to fill the gaps opening up in the engines of an older high mileage car. Most Saturns already have oil consumption problems due to ring wear. A heavier oil wont creep past the rings like a lighter one will. A heavier oil will fill the gaps between the crankshaft and rod and main bearings better than a lighter oil thus extending the life of the engine. That is the purpose of "high mileage" oils. And older cars were designed with more loose clearances between engine components than new cars. It was the technology of the day; looser fit and poorer alloys than today's cars.

0W-20 is for new engines with new alloy metals that aren't worn the way our older cars are. If you're using it in an older car, or a high mileage car, you're likely headed for blue smoke and excess oil consumption.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help PrestonIII reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-14-2019, 10:00 PM   #7
PrestonIII

1994 SL2
1994 SL2

I had a girlfriend who bought a brand new Saturn Ion back in 2007 with the Ecotech in it. It has Onstar that transmits engine diagnostics back to GM so they track engine condition and needed maintenance.

Every month, she got a letter from GM about the condition of her engine and perceived maintenance.

On that car, that letter told her every month about how much life was left in the oil, IE: 75%, 63%, 32%, etc.

GM finally told her to change the original "break in" oil at 13,000 miles! So, she took it to the dealer and had the oil changed.

I don't know what oil was in that car from the factory, or what the dealership put in it, but it was what we all want to use!

She still has that car. It's 12 years old, and has 35K miles on it. She still pays something like $15/month for the Onstar service, and still gets the letters in the mail.

It's too bad she can't drive without bumping into things. That car would be a great car to own. LOL, but it's got bumper tag marks all around it. (and I've put 2 passenger side mirrors on it - J.C. Whitney)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-15-2019, 08:31 PM   #8
454cid
454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestonIII View Post
She still has that car. It's 12 years old, and has 35K miles on it.
35K or 350K? 35K miles is like municipal usage were the vehicles is driven for specific tasks only and usually just sits.

2000 SL2 Automatic (back on the road) 17X,XXX miles.
1999 Chevy K3500

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 454cid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 454cid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
454cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 10:38 PM   #9
98_Gold_Uranus
98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454cid View Post
35K or 350K? 35K miles is like municipal usage were the vehicles is driven for specific tasks only and usually just sits.
my 98 only has 70k on it now, some people just don't drive much lol

98 SL2, 70k miles, kept in the family since new!

Her name is Uranus :)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 98_Gold_Uranus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 98_Gold_Uranus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
98_Gold_Uranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 10:56 AM   #10
454cid
454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98_Gold_Uranus View Post
my 98 only has 70k on it now, some people just don't drive much lol
Yes, but he's bragging on the oil... 35K would mean the oil has ever been changed twice, ever @ a 13K oci.

2000 SL2 Automatic (back on the road) 17X,XXX miles.
1999 Chevy K3500

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 454cid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 454cid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
454cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 06:21 AM   #11
VUEmaniac
VUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2

For the Saturn DOHC, I always had good results with Rotella T6. It's a full synthetic 5W-40 oil available at any Walmart for about $20/gallon. I also used it religiously on Audi A4 1.8T, A6 2.7T, A8 4.2L, and now in my 485hp 6.4L Charger. Anyhoo....T6 worked great on the several SC2's that I owned over the years.

Best,

---
Don't blame a clown for acting like a clown. Ask yourself why YOU keep going to the circus.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VUEmaniac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VUEmaniac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VUEmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 06:20 PM   #12
hholbein
hholbein will become famous soon enoughhholbein will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by VUEmaniac View Post
For the Saturn DOHC, I always had good results with Rotella T6. It's a full synthetic 5W-40 oil available at any Walmart for about $20/gallon. I also used it religiously on Audi A4 1.8T, A6 2.7T, A8 4.2L, and now in my 485hp 6.4L Charger. Anyhoo....T6 worked great on the several SC2's that I owned over the years.

Best,
+1 on Rotella T6 and a extra-large high-quality oil filter. Since I used it regularly over 40K+ miles, it gradually improved oil consumption from 1qt/1300 miles to 1qt/1900 miles. Seems to hold a lot of the soot in our engines in suspension.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hholbein's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hholbein reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hholbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 12:07 AM   #13
PrestonIII

1994 SL2
1994 SL2

Why be so upset about 35K or 350K? This is a thread for conversation, not conflict. (It's actually 35K miles). And I doubt she's changed the oil 5 times in 12 years. She's one of those that, when she gets in the car, if it starts, then she'll drive it. And that means that it doesn't matter what kind of clicks, clanks, or clatter it makes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-21-2019, 12:12 AM   #14
PrestonIII

1994 SL2
1994 SL2

And my '94 SL2 HCE has only 69K miles on it! I bought it 2 years ago with only 49K on it from an estate sale from an older man's estate. Unfortunately,
I drive 70 miles daily round-trip to work. I bought it for fuel economy, and for the life of me, I can't get 30 mpg from it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-21-2019, 03:42 PM   #15
Pitcher
Master Member
Pitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura about

1998 SC2

Quote:
And my '94 SL2 HCE has only 69K miles on it! I bought it 2 years ago with only 49K on it from an estate sale from an older man's estate. Unfortunately,
I drive 70 miles daily round-trip to work. I bought it for fuel economy, and for the life of me, I can't get 30 mpg from it.
Huh. What all have you done to it to try to improve it?

NGK Plugs?
Wires?
PCV?
ECTS?
Air Filter?
Redline/Amsoil PI/Techron in the Gas?
Tire condition?
Exhaust leaks?

Proud Owner of an Invincible '98 SC2 Rare "Red Hot" 5-Speed.
Castrol Edge EP + M1 Ext Perf. Oil Filter.

Owned 4 other S-Series.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pitcher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pitcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 03:47 PM   #16
Pitcher
Master Member
Pitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura about

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by VUEmaniac View Post
For the Saturn DOHC, I always had good results with Rotella T6. It's a full synthetic 5W-40 oil available at any Walmart for about $20/gallon.
Nice. It's a bit thick, so I've recently gone with Rotella T5 Semi-Syn 10w-30 (Ok in warm SC...)

Owned 4 other S-Series.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Pitcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-22-2019, 02:33 PM   #17
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Looking back on some threads. . . looks like I ran T6 all year (past winter and summer). Last changed the oil in April, so due about now.

I think I ran out of T6 about then, too, so make-up oil for several months has been Syntech 10w30 that I use mainly for the minivan. There's probably 30~50% Syntech by now.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that my car was supposed to have 10W-30 when new 25 years ago.
Surprised no one mentioned this, but the owner's manual says 5W30 is the recommended fill, but that 10W30 is fine if the ambient air temps will be 20F or higher.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 03:27 PM   #18
Sid
Advanced Member
Sid will become famous soon enough

1996 SW2

Quote:
I have a '94 SL2 HCE with about 70K miles on it.
Your car is still a low mileage car. I don't see a need for anything heaver than 5w-30 motor oil unless a previous owner didn't keep up with oil changes. My car is almost 24 years old with 110k miles on it and it works fine on 0w-30 motor oil. Oil consumption is the same as it was when new which is a quart in 3k miles.

96 SW2 5MT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 09:58 AM   #19
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really nice

1995 SC2

Quote:
I had a girlfriend who bought a brand new Saturn Ion back in 2007 with the Ecotech in it. It has Onstar that transmits engine diagnostics back to GM so they track engine condition and needed maintenance.

Every month, she got a letter from GM about the condition of her engine and perceived maintenance.

On that car, that letter told her every month about how much life was left in the oil, IE: 75%, 63%, 32%, etc.

GM finally told her to change the original "break in" oil at 13,000 miles! So, she took it to the dealer and had the oil changed.

I don't know what oil was in that car from the factory, or what the dealership put in it, but it was what we all want to use!

She still has that car. It's 12 years old, and has 35K miles on it. She still pays something like $15/month for the Onstar service, and still gets the letters in the mail.

It's too bad she can't drive without bumping into things. That car would be a great car to own. LOL, but it's got bumper tag marks all around it. (and I've put 2 passenger side mirrors on it - J.C. Whitney)
13,000 miles on break-in oil is way to many miles for break in. Engine break in should be completed at 500 miles for a brand new/rebuilt engine.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 11:59 AM   #20
Pitcher
Master Member

1998 SC2

Don't use Havoline PRO-DS 5w-30. Red Hot started using oil at that point.

Owned 4 other S-Series.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!