SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2010, 01:39 PM   #1
firesice18
firesice18 is on a distinguished road

Default Low Coolant Light Is On... But I'm Full

In my 2004 Saturn VUE Redline my low coolant light is on but I have topped off the coolant overfill so I know it is not low on coolant. Also, the motor does not run hot at all so I know there is circulation throughout the system. Has anyone else ever had any issues with the sensor going bad? Also, where is the sensor located? On the bottle itself? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to firesice18's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help firesice18 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
firesice18 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2010, 02:18 PM   #2
Someclown
Someclown is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 3.0L
Default Re: Low Coolant Light Is On... But I'm Full

The sensor is in the bottom of the purge tank(bottle) and may be of the float and magnet type.If this is the case the magnet may have come detached and on the bottom of the tank causing a low coolant light

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Someclown's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Someclown reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Someclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:24 PM   #3
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

If you reach down in the tank you can probably move the float with a screwdriver. Check to ensure the float is not stuck and pull it up with a screwdriver. Its most likely stuck as the electronics to determine float position are pretty reliable.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:42 PM   #4
Mgg4591
Mgg4591 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

I don't know if this applies to the vue but I'll tell you anyway. I had the low coolant light come on in my sl2. The coolant was full and I cleaned out the tank to make sure the float wasn't stuck. I previously noticed that my reverse lights were out and later found out that the coolant sensor and reverse lights were on the same fuse.

The fuse was blown, I replaced it and I got my reverse lights back and the coolant light went off.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mgg4591's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mgg4591 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mgg4591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:22 PM   #5
murrayd6
murrayd6 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Hey firesice18, I also have an 04 Redline Vue and my low coolant light just started coming on intermitently despite the reservoir being full. Did you ever find a solution that resolved your problem?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to murrayd6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help murrayd6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
murrayd6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:19 PM   #6
mrtube
Advanced Member
mrtube is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

I hope you guys don't literally have the tank "full" It should be around the center rib of the tank when hot.

When we bought our 06 vue last year someone had filled the tank alll the way up with green antifreeze. within a few days I drained the system, flushed it out really good and refilled with 50\50 mix of dex.

Altho having the tank actually full shouldn't damage anything and won't trigger a light it will blow the crap out if it has to. and that can be messy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mrtube's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mrtube reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mrtube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 02:56 PM   #7
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrayd6 View Post
Hey firesice18, I also have an 04 Redline Vue and my low coolant light just started coming on intermittently despite the reservoir being full. Did you ever find a solution that resolved your problem?
murrayd6 ... refer to post 4 regarding the SL2 backup lamps and coolant level circuit using same 10 amp fuse. This is also true for the Vue - with fuse in under-hood fuse box.

I doubt if a fuse would cause an intermittent light - unless there's a bit of corrosion ... but it'd be simple to check.

The coolant circuit is basic - I've attached the schematic.

The switch or float type is not clear based on schematic ... why don't you let us know what you find.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 04 Vue - Low Coolant Schematic.pdf (30.5 KB, 448 views)

I try to visit forum often but suggest you use private messages if in a rush (comes to cell) and include email address for extracts. I seldom check visitor messages so please don't use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:31 PM   #8
nvrdieyng
nvrdieyng is on a distinguished road

My wife has a 2004 Vue that had teh light going on and off. She told me the battery light was on. Sure enough when I drove it, it looked like a batery light was on, so I had the alternator replaced for $175 today! As I left the light came on, and I walked in to have the mechanic look at it. He smiled at me and said, "That's not a battery pictire, thats your radiator! The Alternator light is up on top!" So now that I feel like a jackass, I can go replace the switch under teh coolant reservior and it will hopefully work fine! The alternator was old anyway I guess!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nvrdieyng's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nvrdieyng reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nvrdieyng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 10:49 AM   #9
BarefootRose
BarefootRose is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Low Coolant Light Is On...for 5 minutes or so

Eek! My low coolant light came on yesterday --was on when I started the car. I thought it was the battery light until I looked it up last night. But here's the thing: it stayed on about 5 minutes, then went off for the rest of the drive (another half-hour). When I came home, the same thing happened.

The low coolant light has never flashed on before, even on engine startup (which the manual says is normal.) If it stayed on, I'd know it's freak-out time, especially as I had the coolant system repaired just 2months ago because of a leak. But it goes off.

Haven't checked the reservoir yet--but I will later today, when I can face it.

Anybody else have and solve this problem?

(Btw, the gas tank sensor goes on alot and randomly--the people who sold me the car said the float's worn out, so I just keep track of milage with the odometer. Could this be a similar issue?)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarefootRose's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarefootRose reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarefootRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 01:44 PM   #10
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Check reservoir for adequate fluid level (mid-tank seam). If fluid is ok the fluid level switch is probably sticking. I've had success using homemade "swisher" to clean the tank switch ... I'll post a picture wheen I get back to my pc.

I try to visit forum often but suggest you use private messages if in a rush (comes to cell) and include email address for extracts. I seldom check visitor messages so please don't use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-20-2016, 07:44 PM   #11
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Thumbnail is my home-made swisher to clean the low coolant level switch.

I started with typical coolant temp test tool and added about 12 inches of 3/8 ID plastic tubing (fish tank supplies).

Remove expansion tank pressure cap - insert tool - squeeze and release bulb to fill with coolant and position the hose near center of bottom of expansion tank.

Give several good shots of coolant in general direction of switch - remove tool - install pressure cap and check results.

I used on 06 Vue with about 95K miles and problem has not returned at 140K miles. However, I did have coolant changed when timing belt and water pump were changed around 100K miles.

Generally speaking the cooling system should be drained, flushed and refilled with Dex-Cool at 5 year intervals (or 150,000 miles). A sticky switch is probably early reminder a fluid refresh is needed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dex Swisher Jr.jpg (84.3 KB, 110 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-28-2017, 03:23 PM   #12
Speedyox
Speedyox is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
2004 VUE 3.5L

Thanks Far2Grumpy.

I couldn't remember if I had a coolant gauge and it's too cold to search very long so I stuffed some 3/16 ID hose on plastic glue bottle and got the same effect. My coolant light is off now after being intermittent and then steady on for a few days.

My coolant light started coming on and and off intermittently last week and so I topped up the coolant. Then it came on the next day and I thought I had a leak until I found that the level was still fine. It steadily got worse for a few days until yesterday when it was on [probably] constantly.

Hopefully it's "fixed" now.

-Speedyox
---------------------------
1997 SC2 Auto ~109k miles
2001 SL2 Auto ~130k miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Speedyox's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Speedyox reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Speedyox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 10:58 AM   #13
bermany
bermany is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by firesice18 View Post
In my 2004 Saturn VUE Redline my low coolant light is on but I have topped off the coolant overfill so I know it is not low on coolant. Also, the motor does not run hot at all so I know there is circulation throughout the system. Has anyone else ever had any issues with the sensor going bad? Also, where is the sensor located? On the bottle itself? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I know this is an old thread. But I have been plagued with this bright light shining in my face for four years. And hope to help out any Google searches, like I searched. To turn off this light, supply 12v to the green wire going to the sensor.
Done deal.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bermany's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bermany reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bermany is offline   Reply With Quote