SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2017, 06:47 PM   #1
2000sl1blue
2000sl1blue is a glorious beacon of light2000sl1blue is a glorious beacon of light2000sl1blue is a glorious beacon of light2000sl1blue is a glorious beacon of light2000sl1blue is a glorious beacon of light

1998 SW1
2007 SKY Red Line
Default Rear main seal install? And lube on main bearings

Today I finally got my piston rings and all pistons put in. I used break lube/grease on the contact side of all main and rod bearings a few days back and today it seems to have evaporated.. Should I take it all back apart and re lube? Also I took out the oil main seal. I pushed in a new one making it flush to the outside of the engine but there is still maybe a CM or so I could technically knock it in if I had a tool. Is it supposed to keep going a bit?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2000sl1blue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2000sl1blue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2000sl1blue is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2017, 09:01 PM   #2
billr
Master Member
billr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to all

Default Re: Rear main seal install? And lube on main bearings

Did you mean brake lube was used on the bearings? Brake fluids are completely different from engine lubes. I would take everything apart and clean any brake lube out of it, then re-assemble using "assembly lube" or even just engine oil.

Generally, seals are driven in until they seat against a shoulder in the housing. Is there such a shoulder or lip in this application? If so, seat the seal against it. I gotta ask... did you see the old one before it came out?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:07 PM   #3
2000sl1blue
2000sl1blue is a glorious beacon of light2000sl1blue is a glorious beacon of light2000sl1blue is a glorious beacon of light2000sl1blue is a glorious beacon of light2000sl1blue is a glorious beacon of light

1998 SW1
2007 SKY Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr View Post
Did you mean brake lube was used on the bearings? Brake fluids are completely different from engine lubes. I would take everything apart and clean any brake lube out of it, then re-assemble using "assembly lube" or even just engine oil.

Generally, seals are driven in until they seat against a shoulder in the housing. Is there such a shoulder or lip in this application? If so, seat the seal against it. I gotta ask... did you see the old one before it came out?
I'll check out napa and get some assembly lube. I just thought the brake lube/grease would be the same haha. I didn't pay much attention to how far in the old seal was. But I know before it was having a slow leak. I really don't know how to push it in any further either

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 2000sl1blue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-11-2017, 09:18 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Assembly lube is placed on the CONTACT SIDE ONLY of rod and main bearings, the back sides are to be completely dry.

You should be following this other rebuild thread and do so before you make any more major mistakes. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=230898 How to properly install that seal has been covered in the referenced thread.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:34 PM   #5
2000sl1blue

1998 SW1
2007 SKY Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Assembly lube is placed on the CONTACT SIDE ONLY of rod and main bearings, the back sides are to be completely dry.

You should be following this other rebuild thread and do so before you make any more major mistakes. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=230898 How to properly install that seal has been covered in the referenced thread.
Thank you, I really should..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-11-2017, 09:55 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Yes, I know the links are posteed in that thread and there is a lot to this that is not in that useless Haynes manual. Some reading will prevent an expensive do-over.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-11-2017, 10:42 PM   #7
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Awesome - my thread is now a reference. I used a PVC plumbing fitting, a press, and got that seal much further in.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 11:04 PM   #8
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Seal must be pressed in straight and neither twisted or rolled. Must bottom out in the carrier and it is best to have a tooth pick diameter bead of RTV in the corner of the seal seat. The mating face of the carrier must have the correct bead of RTV before bolting in place. Install over the crank can be tricky and the seal cuts easily. They do not leak if installed correctly. If this does not all make sense then it is time to start asking questions.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-12-2017, 10:36 AM   #9
2000sl1blue

1998 SW1
2007 SKY Red Line

Thank you, I'll be heading to home depot in a while to see what all I can find to get this going!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!