SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2016, 04:11 PM   #1
ErikTande
ErikTande is a jewel in the roughErikTande is a jewel in the roughErikTande is a jewel in the roughErikTande is a jewel in the rough

Default 2001 Saturn Auto Transmission Filter - How tight is too tight?

5 weeks ago I changed my tranny fluid and filter. I used an autozone transmission filter (didn't know I should use Wix at the time) and left the magnet in.

2 weeks ago the seal on my autozone transmission filter failed and started leaking (gushing) and dumped all my tranny fluid all over my driveway (what a mess).

A quick search on these forums pointed out a couple things:

1. aftermarket filters tend to leak, get a Wix
2. don't use the magnet with an aftermarket filter

So I ran to autozone a grabbed another filter to get running again (it was the only place open at 9:45 pm, otherwise I would have waited on got a Wix)

I assume the catastrphic gushing failure of the filter was due the magnet still being there, so I removed that and put the filter on pretty tight (used 2 hands to screw it on).

No leaks for a couple weeks, but it's started dripping again now.

Obviously I should put a Wix filter on. My question is this:

The filter on there now is pretty tight, I can't tighten it any more with 1 hand. I CAN get it tigher using two hands though. Should I keep going with 2 hands until it won't turn any more? And should I do the same with the new Wix filter?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg saturn.jpg (104.1 KB, 17 views)

http://www.youtube.com/velocitylabs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ErikTande's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ErikTande reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ErikTande is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2016, 04:42 PM   #2
lil_buddy
Advanced Member
lil_buddy has a spectacular aura aboutlil_buddy has a spectacular aura aboutlil_buddy has a spectacular aura about

1997 SC1
Default Re: 2001 Saturn Auto Transmission Filter - How tight is too tight?

My last ATF filter was a Wix filter I got on amazon. It leaked. I contacted Wix about it and they said to tighten much tighter than an oil filter. I tightened as much as I possibly could by hand plus a turn with a filter wrench. It still leaked. They said that's it's normal and it shouldn't be a problem (much to my chagrin). Anyway, it was a very tiny leak that never caused me to have to top off the ATF in 30k miles.

I just put in a Napa Gold filter 2 weeks ago and it doesn't leak after only hand tightening. Supposedly Napa Gold is rebranded Wix.

Make of this whatever you will.

PS - my car never had a magnet on the filter since I got it. I have read here that the FSM states that the magnet should be removed after the first (meaning after the car left the showroom) ATF/filter change

Last edited by lil_buddy; 09-13-2016 at 04:52 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lil_buddy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lil_buddy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lil_buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:11 AM   #3
underthehood
Master Member
underthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L

once the gasket makes contact 1/2 to 3/4 turn is all. Be sure you've taken the old gasket off the mating surface

2006 Toyota Highlander (rare 4 cyl AWD)
2001 Toyota Highlander V6 AWD creampuff
Daughter got her own! 2005 Lexus ES330 Dream Ride

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to underthehood's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help underthehood reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
underthehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 01:22 PM   #4
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

I would just tighten as much as you can....1 hand or two.

I stopped using the expensive WIX when I one time Autozone gave me (from what I saw) a WIX -like tranny filter. It was red, and much heavier (like the WIX) than another AZ on the shelf. I don't recall that part number, but I never had a leak (or issue) in 100K+ miles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 12:42 AM   #5
terminal89
terminal89 is on a distinguished road

If you got your trans filter from Autozone, its a re-branded OEM filter. (Luber-Finer T615 Trans filter). Just did a fluid change with one.

Autozone
http://www.autozone.com/filters-and-...?checkfit=true

Direct manufacturer
https://www.amazon.com/Luber-finer-T...ct_top?ie=UTF8

AcDelco OEM
https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-TF298.../dp/B000C9SQNW

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to terminal89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help terminal89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
terminal89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 01:01 PM   #6
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

^^ thanks, I thought it was OEM, only mine from AZ was Red colored.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 04:51 PM   #7
Steve44
Steve44 is just really niceSteve44 is just really niceSteve44 is just really niceSteve44 is just really nice

1999 SL1
1999 SL2

Unlike an Oil filter the Trans filter needs to be as tight as you can get it.
My first TF change I found that after 3 months, the filter was wet. I got another 3/4 turn out of it, and never had a problem after that.
Just changed the fluid and OE filter (and the Radiator) on the SL2 this week. 190,000 KM on it.
Took the magnet off the old filter and put it on the outside of the WIX.
Car shifts smoother than ever.

The SL1...The Lucky Car
The SL2..The awesome deal.
The #3 Silver SL2 FIVE SPEED!
World's biggest fan of doing it the easy way.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Steve44's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Steve44 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Steve44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 08:00 AM   #8
underthehood
Master Member
underthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L

I have owned 3 Saturns (SL2) and have always done the trans filter changes and NEVER have resorted to tightening the filter as some of you describe. Doing so distorts the gasket, and can cause damage to it. I have always simply taken it about 3/4 turn after contact and have NEVER had a leak or failure. If you're having to resort to this than something you're doing is wrong

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help underthehood reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-20-2016, 04:37 PM   #9
ErikTande
ErikTande is a jewel in the roughErikTande is a jewel in the roughErikTande is a jewel in the roughErikTande is a jewel in the rough

I hadn't got around to putting the Wix filter on yet, and the car just puked again all over the parking lot at my work.

Hooray.

Looks like I'll be working in the dark changing the filter. I'm dumping this car and getting a manual.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg saturn-tranny_puke.jpg (147.1 KB, 25 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ErikTande reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-20-2016, 08:55 PM   #10
J.W.
J.W. is a jewel in the roughJ.W. is a jewel in the roughJ.W. is a jewel in the rough

2001 SL2

You have some other problem - It's not the filter that causes your fluid loss.
The original magnet can be used IF the face of the filter (where the magnet is placed) is NOT flat..Most are crowned. A flat face allows the magnet to cover and close off the holes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to J.W.'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help J.W. reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
J.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 09:23 PM   #11
billr
Master Member
billr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to all

I gotta wonder if this OP, and the OP in the other "massive leak" thread, have check the diff pin...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 02:27 AM   #12
ErikTande

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr View Post
I gotta wonder if this OP, and the OP in the other "massive leak" thread, have check the diff pin...
That's completely irrelevant. A bad diff pin wouldn't cause a leak from the transmission filter. The car runs and drives fine, and the leak was clearly from the seal on the transmission filter.

Last edited by ErikTande; 09-21-2016 at 02:41 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-21-2016, 02:32 AM   #13
ErikTande

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.W. View Post
You have some other problem - It's not the filter that causes your fluid loss.
Except it's coming out of the seal on the filter. It's certainly the source of the fluid loss.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-21-2016, 10:28 AM   #14
billr
Master Member
billr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to all

Understand, we are tossing out other possibilities because we really are trying to help you. Those spin-on filters, regardless of the brand, are generally pretty fool-proof to install without leaking. I think "too tight" is pretty unlikely. I put mine on 1-turn after seal contact, and always have to use a strap wrench to get the last 3/8 of a turn. How about posting some pictures of the "leak pattern" of the fluid, the seal on the filter that was leaking, and the mating surface of the trans? Finding the real source of leaks isn't quite as bad as finding a noise, but can still be pretty elusive.

I felt mentioning the diff pin was appropriate because of the big puddle under the car shown in the last photo you posted. That seems way more than a filter-seal leak.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 11:12 AM   #15
trottida
Master Member
trottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud of

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

If I recall correctly there have been other posters with this problem and it was determined that when they removed the old filter the seal stayed on the transmission side. They didn't notice this and then they then put the new filter on and weren't able to get a good seal due to the old seal being in the way. Could this be the problem?

1999 SL2 MT (287,130 km @ 10/2019)
2012 Ford Focus SEL HB MT
2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
2001 SL1 MT (438,500 km 11y)
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 01:20 PM   #16
RobertJ
RobertJ will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trottida View Post
If I recall correctly there have been other posters with this problem and it was determined that when they removed the old filter the seal stayed on the transmission side. They didn't notice this and then they then put the new filter on and weren't able to get a good seal due to the old seal being in the way. Could this be the problem?
This is a good point. I had this happen with a Jeep 4.0 one time, but to be fair it gushed very quickly after starting up.

Past Saturns:
2002 SC2 5-speed
1999 SL2 automatic
2001 SC1 automatic
Current Cars:
1996 Jeep Cherokee 5-speed
2016 Ford Focus ST 5-speed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertJ's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertJ reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 05:00 PM   #17
ErikTande

The seal isn't being doubled up. So that's not it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-23-2016, 06:52 AM   #18
underthehood
Master Member

1999 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikTande View Post
The seal isn't being doubled up. So that's not it.
Then IMO you're over tightening it

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-09-2019, 07:58 PM   #19
Ecomike
Ecomike is a glorious beacon of lightEcomike is a glorious beacon of lightEcomike is a glorious beacon of lightEcomike is a glorious beacon of lightEcomike is a glorious beacon of light

2001 SL1

In 45 years of wrenching I have never had a filter I installed come loose. This week the Durajunk one can totally loose and pissed all over the drive, while running in park. I mean a full 1/2 to 1 turn loose what you all call seated before tightening. I had it hand tight (my hand tight these days is not very tight, arthritis RA), and then almost 1-1/2 turns tight with a strap wrench. It was the third one of these I installed on the SL1 in 11 years. First 2 were Durajunk, and never leaked, nothing, nada, bone dry....

Been shopping all day for a replacement (Autozone stuff I bought 20 years ago never failed, last 6-7 years its been 50% bad stuff off the shelf).

Read online today a 50% failure to seal rate on the Wix filter reported in reviews on the Trans filters in 2015-2016.... and those folks switch to AC Delco, and had no issues, but no one has any in stock for week to 10 days now. Which sucks.....

So I am trying one of these, but from Amazon Prime to have it by Monday:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/a...turn/model/sl1

I think this is the same one:

https://www.autopartskart.com/saturn...on-filter.html

I ordered an AC-Delco as back up and spare.

Looking at these filters, I do not like the super tall gasket. It looks like its asking for trouble design wise if the filter is not tight enough.

I suspect from what I read almost all of them are now made in one Taiwan plant, using worn threading tools and crap metal, and mine just slipped and jumped back 2-3 full threads.

Odd thing is that it ran fine for 4 trips, over 100 miles and did not leak a drop, then in park, idling for about 20 minutes to recharge the battery, it crapped out a gallon of fluid I was inside eating....

I read last weak if the pressure solenoid regulator valve screws up it can blow up the filters, over pressuring them.

I had just replaced the valve body with one of the ones made by the expert on them, that installs the Sonax valve the rebuilts. Great guy, we chatted for
what must have been 45 minutes a week, when I was rush shipping a one in. The one I bought 10 years ago from him, 80,000 miles, had a failing pressure control solenoid according to him.

Anyway, I think it is becoming a crap shoot getting good parts....

And no it was not installation error, as one of the saturn SL1 filters online says printed on the filter to hand tighten/as in not loose-seat the gasket, then get 1 to 1.5 turns after first hand tight seating it. As far as the final tightness I had mine, it was the same as the last two Durajunk filters, and it was no more hand torque using my calibrated hand, LOL, that I have done a good hundred oil filters on 20 rigs since the 1970s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trottida View Post

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ecomike's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ecomike reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ecomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 02:36 PM   #20
fjmg
fjmg will become famous soon enough

I can certainly sympathize with the OP here since I have had my share of aftermarket parts that cause me to pull my hair out but I thought I would chime in here for others who are reading this and experiencing the same leak the OP is but are unsure if the tranny was swapped.
I recently bought a 97 SW1 auto and decided to change atf and filter. I experienced same issue the OP is facing, filter gasket leak. No problem, get another filter... same leak, even swapped and older OEM.... same leak.
Then I grabbed a mirror to really check as it appeared to escape from top of filter gasket which I cannot see unless I remove the rad. and that is when I had seen that it was actually coming from a hole 1/2” above the filter???
Looked as if the top cover was missing a bolt but it clearly was not. I removed the pan and low an behold there is a threaded hole there but no hole in the gasket or pan, actually quite a few extra threaded holes!
Turns out someone before me swapped a 1996 trans into the car but used a later model gasket and cover! They are identical except the old style use 4 more bolts to secure it. The new style gasket his little Nibs to plug two of the 4 extra holes but one of the other two just happens to be directly above the oil filter and is open the exterior if no bolt is present! I found a pan from the wrecker and bought a new “old style” gasket and now no leaks. Another note is that the newer style gasket is substantially thicker than the old style and the old style pan is taller by the equivalent amount.
Hopefully this will help others who are unsure of the cars history.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fjmg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fjmg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fjmg is offline   Reply With Quote