SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2010, 07:46 PM   #1
diplomat1
diplomat1 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2
Default how do i change the muffler/exhaust on my 94 sl2?

Nothin is wrong with the one i have now i just wanna know how i can do it, wat i will need and any other tips/tricks i might need. thanks alot

Prince

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to diplomat1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help diplomat1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
diplomat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2010, 07:54 PM   #2
Redhotftw!
Advanced Member
Redhotftw! will become famous soon enough

Default Re: how do i change the muffler/exhaust on my 94 sl2?

a welder...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Redhotftw!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Redhotftw! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Redhotftw! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:13 PM   #3
Kaervak
Kaervak will become famous soon enoughKaervak will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhotftw! View Post
a welder...
Not necessarily. Magnaflow, Catco & a couple others make an all in one Flex pipe & cat, no welding required. I just replaced my entire exhaust from the flex pipe and back. You'll need a 13MM deep well socket with a wobbler extension for the three nuts holding the flex pipe to the manifold. Chances are you'll have to cut the resonator from the cat since things have probably rusted solid. Same for the muffler. I was lucky removing my downstream O2 sensor, after a shot of WD-40 and letting it sit for about 20 minutes it backed out without issue. When putting the new exhaust hardware in, use stainless steel fasteners. If you ever want to replace things again the stainless steel will make life easier. Oh, soak a rag or paper towel with PB Blaster and wrap the nuts that hold the flex/manifold, let it sit overnight. I did that with mine and they broke free easily. Everything else is pretty straightforward. My cat/flex pipe is the Magnaflow one and the resonator and muffler is Walker OEM direct fit stuff. It all just bolted together. Oh, don't forget gaskets, one between manifold and flex and one between cat and resonator.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kaervak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kaervak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kaervak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:40 PM   #4
off-track
Master Member
off-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Kaervak,

What about getting the pipe around the rear axle? I've seen some comment that it's nearly impossible without a lift to get the car high enough?

1997 - SL2, barebones, 161k, Auto - Rebuild complete and.. burnt a valve 20k later Arrgh!
Purchased 114k 10/07
Added OEM CC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to off-track's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help off-track reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
off-track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:32 PM   #5
Kaervak
Kaervak will become famous soon enoughKaervak will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by off-track View Post
Kaervak,

What about getting the pipe around the rear axle? I've seen some comment that it's nearly impossible without a lift to get the car high enough?
If you have a custom bend resonator that goes all the way back to the muffler, yes it will be difficult. My old resonator was like that and I needed to hacksaw a part of it to get it out. The Waker "Direct Fit" resonator stops right before the rear suspension setup and the Walker muffler has a little extension pipe that goes over the suspension and slips over the resonator and is held on with a clamp. I really didn't even need to put the rear up on jack stands when putting the muffler on since there was plenty of room. Here are a couple pics, not the greatest since I just took them and it's 10:30pm here but it should get the idea across.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_2301.jpg (156.0 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg img_2302.jpg (99.8 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg img_2299.jpg (98.4 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg img_2300.jpg (98.3 KB, 43 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kaervak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kaervak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kaervak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:26 PM   #6
OUman63
OUman63 is on a distinguished road

1998 SC1
1997 SL2

Hello!

I'm about to install a eastmon direct fit pipe and hardware is very, very rusty. I'm looking at picking up some extra hardware in case the bolts snap, but I'm having trouble finding out what kind of hardware I need. Do you happen to know what bolts i need for the pipe to attach to the manifold and for the hardware at the flange for the exhaust pipe after the cat? Thanks in advance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OUman63's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OUman63 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OUman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:41 PM   #7
off-track
Master Member
off-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUman63 View Post
I'm looking at picking up some extra hardware in case the bolts snap.
They will, or you'll probably have to cut them! Sorry, don't know the sizes but, I'd just take a pipe/flange to your local hardware store and find some stainless bolts/nuts to fit.

As an aside.. pulling into HD this weekend.. Hmm, car louder than normal? Got to a parking space, parked and the rear started clanging like a bell! I looked underneath and saw that the inlet pipe of the muffler sheared completely off. ARRGH! Off to Mexi-Muffler again.. sigh.

1997 - SL2, barebones, 161k, Auto - Rebuild complete and.. burnt a valve 20k later Arrgh!
Purchased 114k 10/07
Added OEM CC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to off-track's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help off-track reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
off-track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:56 AM   #8
sbr65nj
sbr65nj is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUman63 View Post
Hello!

I'm about to install a eastmon direct fit pipe and hardware is very, very rusty. I'm looking at picking up some extra hardware in case the bolts snap, but I'm having trouble finding out what kind of hardware I need. Do you happen to know what bolts i need for the pipe to attach to the manifold and for the hardware at the flange for the exhaust pipe after the cat? Thanks in advance.
I did both my 97 and 00 SL2s myself with only my drive up lifts and jacks. I found it easier to also jack up the front. It took some struggling but I managed to get it over and around the rear axles on both cars without breaking anything. Last March my 97 SL2 gave a gift to the Maryland Turnpike in the form of my muffler which fell clean off. (I thought there was a truck passing but it never materialized). Limped it back to NJ with some dirty looks but intact. Installed the new one and it has been solid ever since. New pipes are secured via stainless steel bolts and clamps tightened by my Dewault impact wrench. So far so good.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sbr65nj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sbr65nj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sbr65nj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 05:44 PM   #9
T-boneSW1
T-boneSW1 is on a distinguished road

1995 SW1

would I be correct that this would be a harder job on a wagon (SW1). Also I need to replace everything except the cat down from the manifold
thanks

1995 Saturn SW1
2001 Suburban
2004 MR2 Spyder
2007 Cooper S R52

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to T-boneSW1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help T-boneSW1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
T-boneSW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:09 PM   #10
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-boneSW1 View Post
would I be correct that this would be a harder job on a wagon (SW1).
I don't think there's any difference.

Quote:
Also I need to replace everything except the cat down from the manifold
I just replaced my flex and regretted not getting the whole pipe. I think you need a Walker #52165

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:01 PM   #11
T-boneSW1
T-boneSW1 is on a distinguished road

1995 SW1

thanks I found this place and parts
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...565528-1111975

my question is can i do this by myself in a reasonable amount of time given I need to thread the whole long pipe, flex pipe and cat back with out damaging the cat

1995 Saturn SW1
2001 Suburban
2004 MR2 Spyder
2007 Cooper S R52

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to T-boneSW1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help T-boneSW1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
T-boneSW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:38 PM   #12
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
my question is can i do this by myself in a reasonable amount of time given I need to thread the whole long pipe, flex pipe and cat back with out damaging the cat
This is hard to say since you never know how much you're gonna have to fight with rusty bolts. My rear pipe flange broke away from the Cat flange - I had some fun re-opening those flange holes. Some say you can punch the studs out, but I guess you don't want to beat on the Cat too much for fear of damaging the core. Getting the exhaust pipe over the rear suspension without a lift requires raising the front passenger-side corner pretty high. I reconnected this pipe back to the Cat before cutting the front pipe behind the Flex Connector. And then there's the challenge of disconnecting the Down-pipe from the Exhaust Manifold. The whole thing can be a project.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rear Flng.JPG (65.9 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg Cat Core.JPG (90.7 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg Pipe-Cat.JPG (88.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Flex.JPG (113.8 KB, 31 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote