SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2010, 07:02 PM   #1
ev_dave13
ev_dave13 is on a distinguished road

1996 SW1
2002 SC1
Default Riddle me these sparkplugs...

So I took out the sparkplugs from the engine I'm going to swap into my '96 SW1 5 speed in a couple of weeks. They come from a 1999 SL1 5 speed.

They are NGK's, and look like they might be the original plugs. Not too bad. They still have the proper gap.

1,2, and 4 have a little soot, and a little corrosion, but are otherwise fine. No. 3, however, looks like it was running a little lean (white soot, a little more wear on the centrer electrode). Also, no. 4 smelled of fuel a bit.

Anything to be concerned about? If these are the original plugs, they have 90k miles on them.

They are in order in the pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1328-2.jpg (66.8 KB, 64 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ev_dave13's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ev_dave13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ev_dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2010, 07:21 PM   #2
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2
Default Re: Riddle me these sparkplugs...

just buy new ones. There 1.50 each I think.

Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rc1488's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:09 PM   #3
ev_dave13

1996 SW1
2002 SC1

I have new ones to put in. What I was getting at is do these indicate anything is wrong with the engine that I should address before installing it (specifically no. 3)?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ev_dave13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-23-2010, 08:14 PM   #4
TwinRevver
Advanced Member
TwinRevver is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
1995 SL1

I would clean the fuel injectors at www.witchhunter.com before first start. And 99 heads are alittle different due the the exh manifold bolt pattern. so use the mani... Hmm im think of something but cant remember it grrr ask oldnuc or low. Hows the compression on donor?

now with problems and getting a newer car but not a saturn :(
My 95 SL2 white top of the line car Priceless..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TwinRevver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TwinRevver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TwinRevver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:25 PM   #5
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the rough

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ev_dave13 View Post
So I took out the sparkplugs from the engine I'm going to swap into my '96 SW1 5 speed in a couple of weeks. They come from a 1999 SL1 5 speed.

They are NGK's, and look like they might be the original plugs. Not too bad. They still have the proper gap.

1,2, and 4 have a little soot, and a little corrosion, but are otherwise fine. No. 3, however, looks like it was running a little lean (white soot, a little more wear on the centrer electrode). Also, no. 4 smelled of fuel a bit.

Anything to be concerned about? If these are the original plugs, they have 90k miles on them.

They are in order in the pic.
they look pretty dam good for 90k miles. when i took out my original plugs @ 30.000 miles they were pretty worn out & the gaps were off. they were not oil fouled or anything like that, just worn out. i don't think you have a problem. just get new plugs...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnsctwo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsctwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnsctwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:33 PM   #6
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2

Make sure you put a new ECTS in the new engine.

Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rc1488's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:37 PM   #7
MINICooperS
MINICooperS is a jewel in the roughMINICooperS is a jewel in the roughMINICooperS is a jewel in the rough

Maybe you should consider "FROZEN SPARK PLUGS"?
http://www.frozensparkplugs.com/
Didn't know they existed until I came across them at a motorcycle show and run this week. The salesman claimed they were, well, you know, "the greatest thing since . . . . . "
(then you can let the rest of us know if they work)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MINICooperS's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MINICooperS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MINICooperS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 01:08 PM   #8
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the rough

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINICooperS View Post
Maybe you should consider "FROZEN SPARK PLUGS"?
http://www.frozensparkplugs.com/
Didn't know they existed until I came across them at a motorcycle show and run this week. The salesman claimed they were, well, you know, "the greatest thing since . . . . . "
(then you can let the rest of us know if they work)
sounds like a lot of hocus pocus to me...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsctwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-24-2010, 02:32 PM   #9
ev_dave13

1996 SW1
2002 SC1

Some interesting comments...unfortunately I don't plan on testing the latest sparkplug stuff.

I will consider the cleaning, though. I didn't even know there were places that did that.

Haven't done a compression check - all I know is that the car seemed to run fine in the short couple months between when we bought it and when it was wrecked. Might be able to do one even now that it is sitting on dollies in the garage, I guess, by cranking the starter with a battery.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-24-2010, 02:38 PM   #10
Bill Murray
Master Member
Bill Murray will become famous soon enough

1997 SC1
1997 SC1

Cryogenics really works on brake rotors (at least the local fire dept swears by them now) but I don't really see the advantage on spark plug electrodes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bill Murray's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bill Murray reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bill Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 03:53 PM   #11
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murray View Post
Cryogenics really works on brake rotors (at least the local fire dept swears by them now) but I don't really see the advantage on spark plug electrodes.
well it might have an effect on the metals hardness which would effect wear, but spark plugs? stuff like that sounds like snake oil to me. i mean you can't confirm if they really work better than stock, ya just have to take their word for it & that's not good enough. i'll stick with the stock ngk's....

they last for at least 30,000 miles then ya replace them. no problem, nor no upgrades needed........

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-25-2010, 05:35 PM   #12
lonewolfncubs
lonewolfncubs is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1

hey twinrev
did you send ur injectors to that site to get clean? how good and how fast was their service?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lonewolfncubs's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lonewolfncubs reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lonewolfncubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 05:50 PM   #13
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

speaking of changing wires, does anybody know if they still sell those plastic clips/retainers the wires go through on their way to the coil? i got a 2001 sc2. when i go to change my plugs/wires, i bet they break due to heat/being brittle from age...

they keep the wires neat.

Last edited by saturnsctwo; 04-25-2010 at 05:58 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-26-2010, 02:36 PM   #14
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnsctwo View Post
speaking of changing wires, does anybody know if they still sell those plastic clips/retainers the wires go through on their way to the coil? i got a 2001 sc2. when i go to change my plugs/wires, i bet they break due to heat/being brittle from age...

they keep the wires neat.
to answer my own question: The lower clip p/n# 12132267 the clip above the valve cover p/n# 12132223 in case someone else needs these...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!