SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2010, 12:18 PM   #1
sl2eggplant
sl2eggplant is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
Default My Saturn Burns Oil ... When to accept it?

A couple of items ... 99 SL2 Automatic 196k miles

I have had this car for about 6 years based on when I registered for this forum. Its been driven about 65k miles during that time. Currently burns 1qt of oil per 500-600 miles.

Things I have done over the years ...
4 MMO soaks
3 Seafoam soaks
2 times MMO in the oil before oil change
1 time Seafoam in the oil before oil change
3 Spray carb cleaner down to spark plug holes to help dissolve carbon (Don't recommend people doing this one though)

Just started driving the car again. First tank got ~35mpg with mixed driving and some spirited driving while adjusting the drum brakes. I have noticed that after the carb cleaner, it is easier to manually turn the crankshaft.

I know others have used ATF fluid, auto RX, etc in the crank, but I'm done putting "additives" in the oil. My question is how long should I used Mobil 1 synthetic oil ... 1, 2 or more oil changes? I want to know how long should I wait to see if Mobil 1 help reduce oil consumption, else I will give up and use the cheap oil and do 3k oil changes and top off the oil as necessary.

Obviously, a re-ring is out of the question

Last edited by sl2eggplant; 04-13-2010 at 12:33 PM.. Reason: small edit

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sl2eggplant's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sl2eggplant reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sl2eggplant is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2010, 12:24 PM   #2
sl2eggplant

1999 SL2
Default Re: My Saturn Burns Oil ... When to accept it?

I have repaired / replaced / cleaned most everything else

ECTS
Throttle
Entire brake system
Put in dealer PCV
Exhaust
O2 sensor
Spark plugs and wireset
All fluids / oils
Throttle body
Inside fuse box

Things I refuse to replace

Struts ...seems okay, tires wear evenly, expensive and don't want to get an alignment
Engine mounts (all 4) ... b/c cost exceeds benefits

Last edited by sl2eggplant; 04-13-2010 at 12:30 PM.. Reason: Added more items

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help sl2eggplant reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-13-2010, 01:01 PM   #3
SBXLI93
SBXLI93 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
2003 ION-3 Sedan

if your not willing to get it fixed then you may have to accept it. I got over 450,000 miles before mine started to use oil excessively...and I drive over 435 miles a day five days a week. The only way you are going to get to stop the excessive oil burning is to get the oil drain back holes drilled into your pistons or replace them with new pistons with extra holes already drilled into them. Using synthetic oil at this stage (1 quart for every 500 miles) is burning money through your exhaust pipe! Also replace your oil valve seals.

1999 SL2 748k miles
engine and tranny rebuilt
36.5 mpg
Now I am ready to go for another 500,000!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SBXLI93's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SBXLI93 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SBXLI93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 01:04 PM   #4
SBXLI93

1999 SL2
2003 ION-3 Sedan

Also not replacing your struts/shocks at the recommended time is like playing with fire! sooner or later you will get burned.

1999 SL2 748k miles
36.5 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SBXLI93 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-13-2010, 01:12 PM   #5
sl2eggplant

1999 SL2

If I were to replace the struts, I would buy the monroe quick struts x 4 = ~$600. Alignment is extra $75. Use any special discounts (i.e. buy 3 get 1 free or 15% off) and total out of pocket cost to fix would be ~$500

Can you help give me a few good reasons to replace b/c I want to buy them but cannot find any good reason to. I do want to install new struts but the car is worth some 1000 - 2000 only. Body is a little dinged up

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-13-2010, 01:20 PM   #6
SBXLI93

1999 SL2
2003 ION-3 Sedan

not replacing your struts will place more wear and tear on your brakes( shoes,pads,rotors,calipers), excessive tire wear, these are normal maintence items that need to be done, why pay more frequently because of not replacing shocks/struts. (also,springs last longer than shocks,DIY and you will find it will be cheaper...I found that out after I spent close to $800.00 to have mine replaced!) Also consider what you are using your vehicle for and how long you are going to keep it.

1999 SL2 748k miles
36.5 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-13-2010, 01:44 PM   #7
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2000 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXLI93 View Post
The only way you are going to get to stop the excessive oil burning is to get the oil drain back holes drilled into your pistons or replace them with new pistons with extra holes already drilled into them. Using synthetic oil at this stage (1 quart for every 500 miles) is burning money through your exhaust pipe! Also replace your oil valve seals.
I have a little over 100,000 miles on my rebuilt engine and 50,000+ miles on another. No drain back holes. Doesnt burn any noticable amount of oil. I put four quarts in, 3000-4000 miles later four quarts comes out.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 SC2
-2001 Limited Edition SC2 (#78)
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 01:55 PM   #8
SBXLI93

1999 SL2
2003 ION-3 Sedan

Heh that's cool! I put on 100,000 miles a year, the shop doing the rebuild told me that pistons used for replacement already come with the extra holes. Most people on here don't drive the amount of miles I do. I'm looking forward to switching over to synthetic oil and it's benefits. Not to mention new life in a motor and not getting embarassed at a stop light when pulling away and watching my Satty fog for mosquitos!

1999 SL2 748k miles
36.5 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-13-2010, 02:48 PM   #9
KingRex
Advanced Member
KingRex will become famous soon enoughKingRex will become famous soon enough

1994 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXLI93 View Post
Also not replacing your struts/shocks at the recommended time is like playing with fire! sooner or later you will get burned.
If you drive the amount of miles you do then yes it is important. the struts on my 1995 are the originals and they suit my needs. I drive 40 miles a day max.

Like the other fella on here, cost is way more than I am interested in spending, when whats already there serves it's purpous.

As for the oil consumption, it's just something any saturn owner is at risk of having to accept. I use a little in my original engine in my 1995 at 152K, probably around a quart 1K to 1200, which is not bad.

"The Homecoming King"

Saturns Saved: 18

Saturns Owned: 2

1999 SL2 HCE 175K
1994 SL2 HCE 135K
1999 SL2 Silver 125K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KingRex's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KingRex reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KingRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:50 PM   #10
SLCraig
Master Member
SLCraig is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2000 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl2eggplant View Post
If I were to replace the struts, I would buy the monroe quick struts x 4 = ~$600. Alignment is extra $75. Use any special discounts (i.e. buy 3 get 1 free or 15% off) and total out of pocket cost to fix would be ~$500

Can you help give me a few good reasons to replace b/c I want to buy them but cannot find any good reason to. I do want to install new struts but the car is worth some 1000 - 2000 only. Body is a little dinged up
Don't then. Your car will never be undriveable with worn, blown, tired struts. It will handle like crap and ride like poo, but if you don't want to spend the $ and are happy with the ride, leave them.

I like new struts (did fronts on my 96 a few months ago) but I went with just bare struts, not those overpriced quick strut scams.

1996 SL2 5MT
1997 SL1 5MT
2000 SW2 5MT
All gone, but not forgotten.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLCraig's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLCraig reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SLCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:51 PM   #11
sl2eggplant

1999 SL2

Let's get back to my original question. Should I try Mobil 1 synthetic for a couple of oil changes OR give up and just stick to the dino oil, top off as necessary.

I cannot repair the the piston rings since that is way too involved and expensive. A half quart of oil cost an extra 50 cents per fill up (300 miles).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-13-2010, 03:21 PM   #12
SBXLI93

1999 SL2
2003 ION-3 Sedan

does synthetic oil look blue coming out of the exhaust or is it a different color? If it was me and had to choose i would stick with the cheapest dino I could find, send an invoice to the county or state government for insect fogging and call it a day.

1999 SL2 748k miles
36.5 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-13-2010, 08:26 PM   #13
sl2eggplant

1999 SL2

No visible or significant smoke comes out of the exhaust. I just want to know if others have tried synthetic oil and did it help reduce oil consumption due to better "cleaning agents".

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-13-2010, 08:56 PM   #14
Bill Murray
Master Member
Bill Murray will become famous soon enough

1997 SC1
1997 SC1

I think the most "magic" oil for rehabbing that I tried was the Castrol Syntec 0W30 European blend. This was the green colored oil that was only available stateside at Autozone in the early 2000s and got a lot of following on BITOG. They pooled funds and had it analyzed in depth, apparently the Germans had some interesting additives in there.

It subsequently was switched to a gold (the oil, not the bottle) color in the 2006 time frame and may still be available.
Important to note that none of the other Castrol Syntecs are like this. It is made in Germany and only the 0W30 grade has this formulation.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bill Murray's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bill Murray reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bill Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:55 PM   #15
ShawnV
Master Member
ShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the rough

2000 SW2

Quote:
Let's get back to my original question. Should I try Mobil 1 synthetic for a couple of oil changes OR give up and just stick to the dino oil, top off as necessary.

I cannot repair the the piston rings since that is way too involved and expensive. A half quart of oil cost an extra 50 cents per fill up (300 miles).
Sometimes using the synthetic oil loosens up all the gunk and makes the engine burn much more oil. I wish I had never put synthetic in my 1996 SW2. I have since returned to regular oil and will continue to use that, topping off as needed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ShawnV's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ShawnV reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ShawnV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:17 AM   #16
DonP
Master Member
DonP will become famous soon enoughDonP will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

Should not hurt to try synthetic, unless the accumualted crud is preventing other oil leaks at seals and gaskets.

You might see an increase in consumption for an OCI or three as the cleaning process contrinues, but that increase should end when the cleaning is complete and you might be fortunate and see an overall decrease in consumption.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DonP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DonP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:35 PM   #17
westwind999
westwind999 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2
1999 SW1

I'd reconsider using Autorx. It's not nearly as expensive as a rebuild and it certainly has made improvements for many. It should have a better chance of making an improvement than Mobile 1 does. The cost of Autorx and 8 quarts of Penz yellow bottle is probably close to the same or less than 8 quarts of M1 (an Autorx cleaning cycle is two oil changes). Make sure you use a larger filter like the Motorcraft FL400s that's less likely to clog if a lot of gunk comes out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to westwind999's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help westwind999 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
westwind999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:41 PM   #18
westwind999
westwind999 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2
1999 SW1

Quote:
Things I refuse to replace

Struts ...seems okay, tires wear evenly, expensive and don't want to get an alignment
Engine mounts (all 4) ... b/c cost exceeds benefits
You're happy driving a car with blown motor mounts? Cost/Benefit? I found a good used one at a junk yard for $5 or so, it's easy to check that it's good. Takes 15 minutes to change and makes a HUGE difference in how the motor runs and drives. Sounds like an awesome cost/benefit to me. Richpin has a video for the upper mount.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to westwind999's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help westwind999 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
westwind999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:16 AM   #19
sl2eggplant

1999 SL2

Concerning motor mounts, I prefer to buy new since the last saturn produced was in 2002 (1.9L engine) so that makes the motor mount at least 8 years old. Also, we don't have any pick-n-pull junk yards around here. They're all really anal about taking parts off cars yourself.

New, the 4 mounts from local auto parts store is $130 before any discounts.

I would consider the polyurethane inserts but I don't know if my dog bones are compatible since I have a used engined install before I purhcased the car

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-15-2010, 12:00 PM   #20
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

You sure you need all 4?

Top mount was about $35, new, though you may need to look around to find a solid (non-frown) mount

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 141k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote