SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2003, 01:14 PM   #1
saturnfreak01
saturnfreak01 is on a distinguished road

Dizzy How Far Will Rebates Go >?

I was surfing the web this morning, to discover that my local Saturn retailer is offering the following offers.

$2000.00 off remaining 2002 S Series coupes, (10) left , AND 0% financing for 60 months, or . $ 4000.00 dollars off the total price.

What really shocked me is they are also offering the same deal on all new 2003 L Series, $ 4000.00 off the MSRP. This must mean it isn't selling well at all. but its great for consumers that are looking for a great deal.

Will the rebates/ and incentives ever end?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnfreak01's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnfreak01 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2003, 04:33 PM   #2
gaf3
gaf3 is on a distinguished road

In case you missed the other thread, the VUEs are selling well, and thus the incentives are being cut back. The zero percent financing is now only available for three years instead of five.

If I had to decide again under those circumstances, I probably would have gone for the CR-V instead of the VUE. I'm glad I got in under the wire.

Gary

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gaf3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gaf3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-12-2003, 09:19 PM   #3
MikeT
MikeT is on a distinguished road

For a long time, there was a feeling among some Saturn enthusiasts that rebates were a bad idea because they weren't in keeping with Saturn's fixed-pricing tradition. The reality, though, is that GM didn't have much choice. If the cars aren't selling well, you've got to cut the price. Whether you do that with a rebate or with 0% financing, the effect is the same. Some folks would prefer just to see Saturn limited to the financing incentives, but the problem with that is that cash buyers are left out. Also, consumers have a harder time grasping the exact amount they're saving via a low-interest loan. On the other hand, anyone can understand what a $2000 rebate means.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MikeT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MikeT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-14-2003, 03:52 PM   #4
EdChan
EdChan is on a distinguished road

All Saturn vehicles are not selling well, if you look at Saturn Corp financials with Duns and Bradstreet you will see that the Saturn wing of GM has taken heavy loses in the past year. Although this is true of a lot of companies due to the recession in the past year, GM has to give incentive to induce purchases for the Saturn line.

It's a fact of life.

Ed
http://www.saturnblows.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to EdChan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help EdChan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-15-2003, 09:42 AM   #5
janastos
janastos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by gaf3
In case you missed the other thread, the VUEs are selling well, and thus the incentives are being cut back. The zero percent financing is now only available for three years instead of five.

If I had to decide again under those circumstances, I probably would have gone for the CR-V instead of the VUE. I'm glad I got in under the wire.

Gary
Sounds like you bought a payment and not a vehicle. Hope you enjoy you payment in 3 years. If you truly liked the CRV and bought the VUE only because of the 0% then you made a VERY poor choice and don't understand what Saturn stands for. Good luck!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to janastos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help janastos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-15-2003, 02:11 PM   #6
Evil_Oppie
Evil_Oppie is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-3 Sedan

To EdChan,

I thought it was funny that your site only has a few complaints LOL

"World domination? You guys couldn't take over a damn bowl of Jell-O."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Evil_Oppie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Evil_Oppie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-15-2003, 03:12 PM   #7
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

As long as my SL2 keeps running well, no rebates or dealer incentives can match not having any car payments! With over 141,000 miles, my car is still going strong, so that's like money in the bank to me! I might as well get everything I can out of this car before I replace it.

Celebrity Eurosport.
When the road gets a little nervous, take one of these.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-15-2003, 06:29 PM   #8
gaf3
gaf3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by janastos
Sounds like you bought a payment and not a vehicle. Hope you enjoy you payment in 3 years. If you truly liked the CRV and bought the VUE only because of the 0% then you made a VERY poor choice and don't understand what Saturn stands for. Good luck!
No, it's more complicated than that. I certainly didn't buy the VUE only because of the 0%.

Rather, I converted the 0% over five years into a discount by computing the total after-tax interest on four CDs/Treasuries set to mature at the 1, 2, 3, and 4 year marks. I deducted this from the cost of the VUE, and used that as my price comparison against the CR-V.

Gary

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gaf3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gaf3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-15-2003, 07:08 PM   #9
DesertPuma
DesertPuma is on a distinguished road

I bought a VUE because I wanted one. I didn't have anything like a rebate or 0% financing that lured me in.

(There is no way in aych eeee hockey-stick hockey-stick that I would ever qualify for 0% anyway believe me, you guys do NOT want to know what my int rate is )

Now a proud Subie owner.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DesertPuma's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DesertPuma reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread