SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2010, 02:58 PM   #1
mileone
mileone is on a distinguished road

Default Saturn Parts Availability

Do to the closings of many Saturn Dealerships around the country, many people have been forced to trek longer distances or venture to other GM dealerships for parts and service. Parts availability varies depending on which part of the country and location of the closest Saturn dealership there is to many people, thou GetSaturnParts is run out of a Saturn Service facility and is intent on riding out till the end to help provide Saturn parts to the Saturn customers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mileone's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mileone reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mileone is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2010, 01:25 PM   #2
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2000 SC2
Default Re: Saturn Parts Availability

One thing I wish the online places did was have the parts drop shipped instead or ordering the part from GM, recieve it then reship it out to the customer. I ordered a part for my Aura three weeks ago and wont be getting it for another day or so. And on top of that, I have a feeling I was suggested the incorrect part from the parts guy I talked to.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 SC2
-2001 Limited Edition SC2 (#78)
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:35 PM   #3
ttreibel
Advanced Member
ttreibel is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe
2002 SL1

This has me worried also....My newest Saturn the 2006 Ion is luckily sharing parts with many Chevy's.....the older s-cars I can get almost any part I need from the wrecking yards and that will be the case for the foreseeable future.....i have ordered parts from Saturn.net and Saturn.com in the past not sure if they will be around after the axe both places were run out of Saturn Dealerships......all i know is if the price quotes i keep getting on parts from my local saturn dealer are any indication of what is coming in the future then I may wish I was driving my old Mercedes 240 and dealing with Mercedes again.....

1995 SL1 oil burner school commuter looks nice...1997 SL1 Gold 5-speed with new junk yard wheels and tires just got 40.4 MPG....2002 SL1 sometimes 45 MPG on a spring highway drive

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ttreibel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ttreibel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ttreibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:34 PM   #4
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

GM still needs to make parts for Saturn vehicles for at least ten years after production ceases, which means availability through CY 2019 (2017 for the ION). Just be certain when going to the GM authorized Core Four dealers for Saturn service the correct parts are ordered. Most parts are compatible, but some can be brand-specific.

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:49 PM   #5
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2000 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR898SL2 View Post
GM still needs to make parts for Saturn vehicles for at least ten years after production ceases, which means availability through CY 2019 (2017 for the ION). Just be certain when going to the GM authorized Core Four dealers for Saturn service the correct parts are ordered. Most parts are compatible, but some can be brand-specific.

You cant get parts for third generation SC1/SC2's right now. Production stopped in 2002. Some parts were discontinued over two years ago. That only made parts availibility around six years. And thats when I inquired about the part I was looking for. Who knows when they actually discontinued that part, it could of been sooner than six years.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 SC2
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-26-2010, 01:33 AM   #6
zborgerd
zborgerd is on a distinguished road

Not to spread fear among people here, but who is to say that the new "Government Motors" is obliged to make or carry parts for any degree of time?

I just tried to get a new alloy wheel for my 03 Ion 2 and *no* dealers near me have them. The only "Saturn" dealership is over 50% Mopar now.

You may question my judgment on this, but to avoid the headaches of dealing with problems getting parts for a 100k+ mile car (and only 1 Saturn dealership still open within 30 miles or so), I traded in my ION for something new.

I never wanted to sell my Saturn, but now GM has turned the badge into a liability for their owners. They may tell you that you can get your car serviced at any Chevy shop, but good luck waiting less than a week for parts.

I'm just telling you my experience. I was unable to get a replacement wheel without a 1-week lead time from a dealership.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to zborgerd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help zborgerd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
zborgerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:26 AM   #7
05SaturnRL
05SaturnRL is on a distinguished road

It seems like some parts take a while to get, but that has been the case with most GM parts lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
You cant get parts for third generation SC1/SC2's right now. Production stopped in 2002. Some parts were discontinued over two years ago. That only made parts availibility around six years. And thats when I inquired about the part I was looking for. Who knows when they actually discontinued that part, it could of been sooner than six years.
What kind of parts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zborgerd View Post
Not to spread fear among people here, but who is to say that the new "Government Motors" is obliged to make or carry parts for any degree of time?

I just tried to get a new alloy wheel for my 03 Ion 2 and *no* dealers near me have them. The only "Saturn" dealership is over 50% Mopar now.

You may question my judgment on this, but to avoid the headaches of dealing with problems getting parts for a 100k+ mile car (and only 1 Saturn dealership still open within 30 miles or so), I traded in my ION for something new.

I never wanted to sell my Saturn, but now GM has turned the badge into a liability for their owners. They may tell you that you can get your car serviced at any Chevy shop, but good luck waiting less than a week for parts.

I'm just telling you my experience. I was unable to get a replacement wheel without a 1-week lead time from a dealership.
LOL! Over something such as a wheel? Did you happen to even look on ebay?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 05SaturnRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 05SaturnRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
05SaturnRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 04:30 PM   #8
zborgerd
zborgerd is on a distinguished road

Why should I have to go to Ebay for parts when *no* dealers in my area have them in stock?

Think of it from the perspective that it's not *only* a wheel, but many parts that are no longer available. What if your vehicle is rendered useless for a week or two because you can't get parts? A Saturn dealer would have them all stocked, but by the end of this year (which is optimistic) there will be *NO* Saturn dealers, and the few that are left are already selling competitor's products (e.g. Jeep, in my case). I've also noticed that the major Saturn dealer in my old hometown now sells Subaru and Kias at their two locations.

You might think that brand loyalty is more important than keeping a vehicle on the road. I do not.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to zborgerd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help zborgerd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
zborgerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:30 PM   #9
SaturnLookout
SaturnLookout is on a distinguished road

2009 Outlook XE

I have a 2009 Outlook that was broke into. It has been almost 2 months and they finally got my inner door panel in. We were told today that my seat cover wouldn't be manuafactured. It's leather and was sliced... We contacted GM and they can't really tell us much now but that it's NOT going to be made. We're going to take it to an attorney. They can't comment on the so called "10 years" worth of parts issue...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnLookout's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnLookout reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnLookout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:47 PM   #10
Low Saturn

2000 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnLookout View Post
I have a 2009 Outlook that was broke into. It has been almost 2 months and they finally got my inner door panel in. We were told today that my seat cover wouldn't be manuafactured. It's leather and was sliced... We contacted GM and they can't really tell us much now but that it's NOT going to be made. We're going to take it to an attorney. They can't comment on the so called "10 years" worth of parts issue...
The Buick Enclave, Chevrolet Traverse and GMC Acadia are build on the same Lambda platfrom. If anything, they should be replacing your seats with the equivalent from one of those models. Or have all your seats reuhpolstered professionally with real leather on GM's dime.

I just put seats from a 2009 Malibu in my 2008 Aura. A color/fabric combination not offered on the Aura, but better than what was in my opinion. The reason for replacing the seats was because my Aura had a grey interior. I like black better. So I bought all the needed pieces to swap the grey for black.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 SC2
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban

Last edited by Low Saturn; 03-02-2010 at 11:53 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-02-2010, 11:47 PM   #11
irish56
Advanced Member
irish56 is just really niceirish56 is just really niceirish56 is just really niceirish56 is just really niceirish56 is just really nice

1999 SC1

It's ironic and a little sad that the oldest Saturns are going to end up being the easiest ones to get parts for. S-series stuff is going to be available for a LONG time because they made so many of them.

At least, I hope so. I have this foolish hope that our '01 SL2 will be my son's first car in 2019.

'95 SL1 auto (RIP)
'98 SL2 5sp (RIP)
'01 SL2 auto (RIP)
'99 SC1 auto (Mom's...keeps on truckin')

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to irish56's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help irish56 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
irish56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:56 PM   #12
Low Saturn

2000 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish56 View Post
It's ironic and a little sad that the oldest Saturns are going to end up being the easiest ones to get parts for. S-series stuff is going to be available for a LONG time because they made so many of them.

At least, I hope so. I have this foolish hope that our '01 SL2 will be my son's first car in 2019.
There's already S-Series parts that aren't available. The S-Series was one car that shared very little with any other make and model. At least with Saturns from the past few years, they had counterparts from other divisions.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 SC2
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-14-2010, 05:45 AM   #13
Leonardo Rosel
Leonardo Rosel is on a distinguished road

I was just browsing the net about cars, I am happy to learn about your site. I get to know spare parts for Chevy. I have a Chevy Aveo. Thank you for posting this article. It's very informative.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Leonardo Rosel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Leonardo Rosel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Leonardo Rosel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 03:43 PM   #14
sewellgal
sewellgal is on a distinguished road

The back windshield of my L200 was shattered by someone's errant firecracker on July 3. It's taken 2 weeks for it to be replaced, due to it needing a rubber molding that could only be obtained from Saturn. It wasn't stocked by the local dealership and had to be ordered by the auto glass shop. I'm not an impatient person, but the back window completely caved into the back seat and was totally exposed to the elements. Now I'm really concerned about the ability to obtain future parts for this vehicle. It has been a faithful car and I've maintained it religiously, fully expecting to surpass the 100,000 mile mark. I'm really in a quandary. I don't want to be stuck at some point with an inoperable car and no parts available to get it fixed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sewellgal's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sewellgal reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sewellgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:00 PM   #15
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewellgal View Post
The back windshield of my L200 was shattered by someone's errant firecracker on July 3. It's taken 2 weeks for it to be replaced, due to it needing a rubber molding that could only be obtained from Saturn. It wasn't stocked by the local dealership and had to be ordered by the auto glass shop. I'm not an impatient person, but the back window completely caved into the back seat and was totally exposed to the elements. Now I'm really concerned about the ability to obtain future parts for this vehicle. It has been a faithful car and I've maintained it religiously, fully expecting to surpass the 100,000 mile mark. I'm really in a quandary. I don't want to be stuck at some point with an inoperable car and no parts available to get it fixed.
As long as people own the cars, there will always be salvage yards. Parts will still be available through salvage yards for many years to come.

car-part.com is a good resource for used parts and has links to hundreds of salvage yards across the US.

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:15 AM   #16
MMarlin
MMarlin is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NDSOUT View Post
As long as people own the cars, there will always be salvage yards. Parts will still be available through salvage yards for many years to come.

car-part.com is a good resource for used parts and has links to hundreds of salvage yards across the US.
Yet for those of us who do not work on their own cars what are the chances that our mechanics will scrounge salvage yards.

We purchased our 2007 Outlook 12/01/2007 when they had the 0% financing. My husband just this weekend checked out to see what we still owe on the Outlook.

Sure we just had the timing chan replaced, on GM's warranty nickle, yet I tend to wonder if something else major happens how long will we need to wait for parts.

I will admit I have been looking online at other comparable vehicles to someday replace the Outlook. Hate to admit it but that day may not be too far off.

We are heading on vacation soon and will be driving the Outlook. Keep your fingers crossed because if we have any problems I will be hot and heavy to unload one "loaded" Outlook.

2003 Red VUE - LOVE IT!
2007 Silver Outlook - SIGHHH! Traded 2/11 for a 2011 Enclave
2005 Gray Nissan 350Z - FUN FUN FUN warm weather only with the top down

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MMarlin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MMarlin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MMarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:26 AM   #17
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMarlin View Post
Yet for those of us who do not work on their own cars what are the chances that our mechanics will scrounge salvage yards.

We purchased our 2007 Outlook 12/01/2007 when they had the 0% financing. My husband just this weekend checked out to see what we still owe on the Outlook.

Sure we just had the timing chan replaced, on GM's warranty nickle, yet I tend to wonder if something else major happens how long will we need to wait for parts.

I will admit I have been looking online at other comparable vehicles to someday replace the Outlook. Hate to admit it but that day may not be too far off.

We are heading on vacation soon and will be driving the Outlook. Keep your fingers crossed because if we have any problems I will be hot and heavy to unload one "loaded" Outlook.
I think you would be surprised at how some repair shops are utilizing recycled auto parts. My brother's wife was recently involved in an accident with their GMC Envoy, to the point where the back end was almost totaled. The Chevy Dealership is utilizing recycled auto parts to keep the cost down.

Just as an example.

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:24 PM   #18
TXPioneer
TXPioneer is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE Green Line

I am definitely concerned about parts!

Since April I have had my 2007 Saturn Vue Hybrid in the shop twice for warranty work (Air Conditioning compressor and starter/generator as well as all 3 hybrid batteries). The first repair trip was 10 days and the second was 2 weeks!

I'm beginning to think that my car is going to be in the shop more than it is out due to lack of available parts!!!!

--4th Saturn - 2007 Hybrid Vue

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TXPioneer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TXPioneer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TXPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:51 PM   #19
n3wb
n3wb is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2

Yikes! That's worrisome. I just bought an old Saturn

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to n3wb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help n3wb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
n3wb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:41 PM   #20
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3wb View Post
Yikes! That's worrisome. I just bought an old Saturn
Old Saturns never die, People KILL 'em, so CHECK YOUR DAMN OIL!!!...?

also don't forget that ECTS!

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote