SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2009, 08:13 PM   #1
kenkennings
kenkennings is on a distinguished road

Default K&N air filter.

Would it be worth it to buy one for my next air filter change? how much of a performace gain will i notice?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kenkennings's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kenkennings reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kenkennings is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2009, 08:24 PM   #2
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
Default Re: K&N air filter.

you talking about a cone filter or one that goes into the airbox?

if the airbox, no idea. if it's a cone, using it with the intake may net you 1-2 more HP.

either way, both can be cleaned out and reused, so..

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:51 PM   #3
BLUE99SL
BLUE99SL is on a distinguished road

1999 SL

I put a K&N in my 1999 sl and noticed an increase in power right away

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]BLUE99SL[/FONT][SIZE=5]undefined[/SIZE][COLOR=Blue]undefined[/COLOR]

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BLUE99SL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BLUE99SL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BLUE99SL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 08:11 AM   #4
sl1driver
sl1driver is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1

It depends on whether you intend to keep the car for as long as you can, or if you want to experiment with it. You may get a small (read that almost imperceptible) increase in performance, but you are giving up filtering ability in order to allow for increased air flow. This will increase wear on your engine over time. Save your money. It's really not worth it.

I tried one for about a year a couple years ago. Didn't see any increase in performance, and once I realized that I was putting the long-term health of my engine in jeopardy I got rid of it. I am now running an AC/Delco filter that a got a good deal on through Rock Auto. The car runs as well as ever. No decrease in performance, and I am getting an avg of about 37 mpg (close to 45 mpg highway), driving over hilly terrain. Not bad for a 9 year old car with over 128,000 miles.

Andy

2000 SL1 5 speed - 149k and still going strong. Slight oil usage.
New Intake Manifold Gasket, Clutch, Ects, Thermostat, IAC, TPS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sl1driver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sl1driver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sl1driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:32 AM   #5
DonP
Master Member
DonP will become famous soon enoughDonP will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

Filtering tests indicate the K&N, while allowing more air to pass through (of use at the highest end of engine performance) it also allows more dust and sand fines to pass through, which leads to more rapid engine wear.

While this is of value on the track where the last bit of top end performance is needed, and engine are rebuilt frequently, it is at best of questionable benefit for a daily driver or legal street use.

You pays your money and takes your choices.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DonP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DonP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:52 AM   #6
MiSaturn
MiSaturn is on a distinguished road

2002 SL
1993 SL2

None? I can't feel any difference in when I use my stock O.E. filter and when the K&N is installed. If you're not doing any other work to increase internal efficiencies, the potential of drawing more air in doesn't amount to
a hill of beans... . It's when you combine it with a header, remapped ECM, etc., then you can utilize the potential greater flow.

I use the K&N filters for reasons of cost and efficiency. I guess I could claim it's "greener" using one filter for the life of the vehicle instead of purchasing new ones, if I wanted to.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MiSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MiSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MiSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 05:43 PM   #7
Bill Murray
Master Member
Bill Murray will become famous soon enough

1997 SC1
1997 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenkennings View Post
Would it be worth it to buy one for my next air filter change? how much of a performace gain will i notice?
Try taking some data.
Perhaps 40 to 60 mph in one gear to avoid shifting variability.
Do it with the paper filter and then remove the element completely.
Try 3 runs with each configuration and average the data.
My guess is you won't see any difference.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bill Murray's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bill Murray reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bill Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 07:43 PM   #8
DIYguy
Master Member
DIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2
Wrench Re: K&N air filter.

I second DonP.

I ran a K&N for a while on my old truck. With a regular filter the air intake throat and throttle body venturis were clean. With the K&N there was a patina of dirt everywhere AFTER the filter in the airstream.

I took very close up photos of the K&N filter pad with backlighting and posted them on this forum some time ago. Pinholes everywhere, some of them quite large.

I am not personally impressed with them for street use. Remember that they were originally designed for off-road use on engines that get rebuilt fairly often. Keeping out rocks, twigs and sand during a race is quite another thing from keeping out fine particles that will wear things out over the course of thousands of miles of street driving.

Oh, and I felt no verifiable difference in performance with the K&N nor did I see any increases in gas mileage, short or long term (I keep very careful records on all our vehicles and my driving patterns are pretty constant).

So no K&N or similar filters for my SC2, but to each their own.

DIYguy

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

97SC2 Saturn (gone but never forgotten), Gen6 Camaro, Cruze Eco, Chevy SS P/U, Honda VT1100C, Honda CBX

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DIYguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DIYguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DIYguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 07:56 PM   #9
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

If you are desirous of a high flow, low pressure drop filter that also removes the most amount of airborne crud then use oiled foam. It does filter better than the stock paper. So it is a real upgrade.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 05:03 AM   #10
kenkennings
kenkennings is on a distinguished road

It seems like i get too much fuel in my engine and thats why i wanted to increase air into the engine to match the increase in fuel. Does a cone filter and setup allow more dirt and harmful particles into the engine more than the paper filter? Im using a fram air filter from walmart.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kenkennings's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kenkennings reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kenkennings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 12:27 PM   #11
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really nice

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL

K&N is expensive. You could buy a whole cart load of paper filters for that $$$.
As for horsepower increase, it would mostly be at the upper end of the rev range. How much driving do you do there?

However, I did put a K&N in my Honda Shadow because in 2 air filter changes it was paid for. The paper filters were very expensive and a Honda-only part. Yes you have to oil and clean the K&N regularly. Yes you can see that it is a coarser mesh. That is why you have to oil it.
No, I didn't notice any performance increase.

97 SL. Born 6/5/97, bought 7/7/97
08 Burgman 400
02 Haro MTB- can't kill it, still trying though

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MikeNW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MikeNW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MikeNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 02:53 PM   #12
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNW View Post
K&N is expensive. You could buy a whole cart load of paper filters for that $$$.
however, because K&N filters are reuseable, you could buy one K&N filter and it'll pay for itself, especially since they have a 1,000,000 mile warranty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNW View Post
However, I did put a K&N in my Honda Shadow because in 2 air filter changes it was paid for. The paper filters were very expensive and a Honda-only part. Yes you have to oil and clean the K&N regularly. Yes you can see that it is a coarser mesh. That is why you have to oil it.
No, I didn't notice any performance increase.
I always thought you have to clean and oil the K&N filters every 15k miles or so, unless you drive in dusty areas.

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 05:05 PM   #13
DIYguy
Master Member
DIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2
Wrench Re: K&N air filter.

Of course they have a million mile warranty. What's to fail? It is cotton batting between metal screens.

You could probably easily make one for yourself if you really wanted to. Buy rolls of medical gauze padding and metal window screen. Spray the assembly with ATF and you're pretty much in business.

But if you read the really fine print that warranty only covers their product as I recall.

After a million miles with their filter you'll probably be on your fourth or fifth engine overhaul due to excessive cylinder and piston wear. But that's not warrantied by K&N that I am aware of, or if it is I'd like to see someone actually collect on it.

In the case of MikeNW's Honda there may well be an economic incentive to buy one. But in the case of Saturns where you can almost buy filters from guys on street corners wearing trenchcoats (and certainly from WallyWorld) at reasonable prices, where's the justification? [Hey buddy, yeah you, wanna buy an air filter? Wink Wink.]

Just change them periodically and don't worry about it.

Notice too that MikeNW said he did not see an increase in performance. Nor did I, nor have a lot of others. So why do it? If your engine is running too rich, that is most likely not going to solve it. The O2 sensor and PCM will simply adapt to the new conditions they see and you'll be right back where you started from.

The oiled cotton pad cone filters are no different than the K&N OEM-style replacement filters in regards to dirt passage. Oh, and if you saturate them to the point where the little pinholes close up with oil, they become restrictive until the oil drys out or gets sucked in. Then they leak dirt again.

Maybe the "dry" cone filters might be better, I have no personal experience with them so I cannot say. Perhaps someone else can share their impressions of them.

There IS an alternative though that does not allow your engine to ingest dirt while providing for greater air flow. Simply locate a larger air box and filter from another car. Relocate the battery to the trunk as others have done and cram in the largest air box (with traditional filter element of course) that you can find in a junkyard into the open space it left behind. Your vehicle front-rear weight balance will improve in the bargain.

I suggest looking at diesel vehicles as they consume LOTS of air (they have no throttle plates at all, so they run at the gas engine equivalent of wide open throttle all the time). Their air filters must pass huge quantities of air under all conditions without allowing dirt through.

FWIW.

DIYguy

97SC2 Saturn (gone but never forgotten), Gen6 Camaro, Cruze Eco, Chevy SS P/U, Honda VT1100C, Honda CBX

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help DIYguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-07-2009, 06:01 PM   #14
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Diesels use an oil bath air filter or a huge 2 stage paper filter that costs as much as a used Saturn. The closest thing to a wet oil bath air filter that will fit under the hood is an open cell foam filter. They do work and are as non restrictive as the K&N.

A paper filter is a compromise on the efficiency and the pressure drop at rated air flow.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-07-2009, 07:19 PM   #15
DIYguy
Master Member

1997 SC2
Happy Re: K&N air filter.

Well, yes and no.

I was not actually referring to diesels as in Peterbuilts, Freightliners or Macks (which do appear to have oil bath filters). I was thinking more of recent and current vintage GMC, Ford and Chrysler pickup trucks or older vintage Mercedes diesels. Automotive style stuff.

We have owned three diesel cars and a diesel tractor, none of which employed oil bath filters. All used/use paper pleated elements that are encased in housings that would fit quite nicely just about where the Saturn S battery normally sits.

The tractor does however use an oiled foam prefilter that surrounds the cylindrical paper element. And in addition it also has a very fine internal screen that fits inside the paper element. So it actually has three filter elements, the last of which seems merely to keep debris large enough to jam up the engine out and probably also to prevent collapse of the paper element no matter how clogged it gets.

The tractor's air cleaner is a cylinder about 9" in diameter and 18" in length. The entry and exit are both round flanges. There is a smooth wall rubber coupling between the exit of the filter housing and the engine intake manifold inlet. It would not be a good candidate for this application though because the replacement filter elements are not all that readily available (Massey Ferguson).

Try and get one from a diesel pickup truck or something like that, or a 70's vintage GM diesel car, there should be a whole lot of thiem in junkyards rusting away. Or just one from an older car that had a huge engine.

It's all about filter area and minimizing the differential pressure across the element. The more of the first, the less of the second generally.

DIYguy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-07-2009, 07:19 PM   #16
jimpennjr
jimpennjr will become famous soon enough

2008 VUE 3.6L

I have a drop in K&N if you want it. I will clean it and re-oil for you if you want. $10 plus the cost to ship it Priority. Let me know. I had it in my wife's car then we traded it in for the Vue. I will have to find it though, it's packed up somewhere.

jimpennjr
'96 SL1 5-speed--Traded in for an '09 HHR
2008 Vue XR V6 Trade in the '04 Vue for it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jimpennjr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jimpennjr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jimpennjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:34 PM   #17
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

DIYguy, do you have access to any micron ratings for K&N vs paper filters? Do you have access to data about wear comparisons of engines when intake air is filtered to varied micron ratings? I get a sense that you have decided your own preference, and now are trying to push that preference on others. If it's based on some hard data, so be it, but it feels more based on theory and hearsay instead.

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:46 PM   #18
TvSteve
Advanced Member
TvSteve is on a distinguished road

1999 SW2

Interesting read over at GasSavers.org;

http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=11149

"I think I've found out why people have FE gains with their CAIs...
If you think about it, a lot of people's CAI kits are really WAI..."

WAI= warm air intakes

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TvSteve's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TvSteve reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TvSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:53 PM   #19
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Be very wary of the automotive diesel filters. They were all specified to a price point and size. the Ford Powerstroke filters are quite good though.

The screen in the tractor filter is a flame arrestor and excess oil filter collapse feature.

Somewhere I did see a actual flow/pressure drop test of several different filter media. Did not save the link though. Amsoil comments on the K&N. As far as wear it is 5 micron (5E-6mtr.) and greater, same as oil.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-07-2009, 08:55 PM   #20
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Here are the results of some independent testing on teh 3 common types of IC engine air filters. This is only a summary.

http://www.ibmwr.org/otech/airfilter.html

REWARD EXCELLENCE!