SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2009, 12:55 PM   #1
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL
Question Will Saturnfans become a "Ghost-Town" Website?

I'm asking a legitimate question here. I've been on this website for almost 10 years...

With the implending implosion of GM and the sale and/or dissolution of Saturn...will Saturnfans become a "Ghost-Town" website?

Meaning that everyone who is here is eventually going to stop posting articles, etc.?

I would hope not, but part of me is thinking that I hope that people will stick around here for help with their cars, etc.

What are your thoughts?

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2009, 01:29 PM   #2
SaturnSdn
Master Member
SaturnSdn will become famous soon enoughSaturnSdn will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan
Default Re: Will Saturnfans become a "Ghost-Town" Website?

Like it or not ........... I'll be sticking around.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnSdn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnSdn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnSdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 01:39 PM   #3
SinCitySaturn
SinCitySaturn is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L
1997 SL2

I have not been a member here for as many years as some,but I plan on staying for the long haul

Saturn Saved The Best For Last
Live for Nothing...Or Die For Something

2008 Vue XR 3.6
1997 SL2 Auto 110K miles as of 12-14-13
<-----2002 Chevrolet Camaro SS 35th Anniversary

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SinCitySaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SinCitySaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SinCitySaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 02:07 PM   #4
Jaseball
Master Member
Jaseball will become famous soon enough

It's doubtful that this website closes due to lack of traffic. There won't be an influx of new users asking about the new models and other related questions from a new car purchase or decision, but plenty of people remain who own Saturns, worked on them, sold them, etc., who would probably check in now and again to help out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jaseball's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jaseball reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 02:33 PM   #5
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

I've not had a Saturn in several years but still post here, much to the chagrin of some. It is a great site that ain't overloaded with punk kids.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to piney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
piney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 02:41 PM   #6
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by piney View Post
I've not had a Saturn in several years but still post here, much to the chagrin of some. It is a great site that ain't overloaded with punk kids.
I concur.

I'll stay as long as possible.

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 04:02 PM   #7
thatjerryguy
thatjerryguy will become famous soon enoughthatjerryguy will become famous soon enough

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Thumbs Up Re: Will Saturnfans become a "Ghost-Town" Website?

As much as some would wish otherwise, as long as there's a Saturnfans.com I'll be here. It's a great site, well-run and loaded with fun and interesting folk. Just because GM gave up on the Saturn community is no reason that we should.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to thatjerryguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help thatjerryguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
thatjerryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 04:11 PM   #8
SW2Muck
SW2Muck is on a distinguished road

1999 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatjerryguy View Post
As much as some would wish otherwise, as long as there's a Saturnfans.com I'll be here. It's a great site, well-run and loaded with fun and interesting folk. Just because GM gave up on the Saturn community is no reason that we should.

Exactly.

Andrew "SW2Muck" Muck

"Do you know your place, in the big charade? Are you more than they?"
-Bad Religion

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SW2Muck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SW2Muck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SW2Muck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:51 PM   #9
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

(To answer a question with a question....)

Q: How long will this site be active?

A: How long will we be keeping our cars?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:38 PM   #10
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! has a spectacular aura aboutAstra La Vista! has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Considering that the brand hasn't even been axed yet, and will likely exist in some form or another for the forseeable future, I don't see membership changing all that much. Attendence might actually go up as new members who normally visited their dealers for advice come here instead.

On a semi-related note, I also have a long history of owning air-cooled VWs. Those cars ceased production in Germany in 1979, Brazil in 1986 (and again in 1996), and Mexico in 2003. Not counting the odd exception, the "newest" Beetles still driving around in North America are now thirty years old. Still plenty of traffic on all ACVW websites.

"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astra La Vista!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astra La Vista! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astra La Vista! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:11 PM   #11
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L

If the brand does largely cease I suspect over time this will become a site dominated by positive enthusiasts, classic collectors, parts traders and those seeking technical advice more than it is now. Thirty or more years from now I can't see posters lamenting the loss of polymer panels for the gazillioneth time or those claiming anything but an S-series wasn't a "real" Saturn gaining much interest.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
John10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:52 PM   #12
unit731
unit731 is on a distinguished road

I attended Barret-Jackson auto auction in Scottsdale this year.

The whole process and outcome is amazing. Mostly older guys buying cars of the year vintage of when they were young. I don't think I saw one pre-war car at the auction (pre-WWII that is).

Yes, the big buck cars were of a rarer nature/year/model. But there were a lot of ordinary regular cars - just old.

Certainly some purchase for 'investment' purposes but many just want a car of their youth. Nostalgia, I guess.

So my advice to you younsters out there. Seek out a low mileage good condition S-Series and put away in your garage or grandpa's garage and save it for when YOU get older. Of course, one has to have the space AND the funds to do this. But the S-Series are realtively cheap now. And believe it or not, most of you younsters will be around for a long time.

You'd be amazed at what fun one can have with an antique car. And antique in most states is only 25 years. I know, it's hard to imagine a S-Series as an antique car. But it will be.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unit731's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unit731 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unit731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:43 PM   #13
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Just make sure you keep stockpiles of radiaters, hoses, head gaskets, and water pumps

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-15-2009, 10:06 PM   #14
eelfliw
eelfliw is on a distinguished road

2009 Outlook XE
2002 SL

The question isn't who's sticking around. The question is, who'll continue to sponsor this site? Or is the admin paying for this site out of his own pocket?

Also, if Saturn begins to sell Tata or Chinese cars, this site will get a big influx of Indian or Chinese people and will need to support Hindu or Chinese characters.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eelfliw's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eelfliw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eelfliw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:13 PM   #15
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by John10 View Post
If the brand does largely cease I suspect over time this will become a site dominated by positive enthusiasts, classic collectors, parts traders and those seeking technical advice more than it is now. Thirty or more years from now I can't see posters lamenting the loss of polymer panels for the gazillioneth time or those claiming anything but an S-series wasn't a "real" Saturn gaining much interest.
I agree with the first part, but I might still be doing that other thing. Ever since they discontinued the polymer, I've been saying this website is the best thing they had going for them!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:19 PM   #16
mike08vue
mike08vue is on a distinguished road

I've been here since 1996, dropped out for a short while when I moved and married, then came back. I check on the site almost daily and post most of the time. I enjoy people on this site and look foreward to the interaction and banter. I'll be here even if I don't have a Saturn any more ( heaven forbid!).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mike08vue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mike08vue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mike08vue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:46 PM   #17
adventureoflink
Master Member

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelfliw View Post
Also, if Saturn begins to sell Tata or Chinese cars, this site will get a big influx of Indian or Chinese people and will need to support Hindu or Chinese characters.
Having model-specific experts, moderators, and admins that can speak Indian and/or Chinese is fine too

Unless it's english only or gtfo

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-18-2009, 08:13 AM   #18
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

永遠土星!

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:36 AM   #19
rollsroyce250
rollsroyce250 is on a distinguished road

I and many others were permanently banned from this site for "negativity". I came back with another username. I don't have a Saturn any more. I had an original S polymer model. There really isn't much happening here any more unless someone is seeking model specific technical help. For that, this site is a godsend. For the future, it's all speculation and waiting for the end. To those who rely on this site for technical advice, enjoy. For those who don't, it's all about the entertainment and infighting between the diehard Saturn zealots and the realists. I'm sure I'll get booted off again for this post, but it doesn't matter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rollsroyce250's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rollsroyce250 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rollsroyce250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:14 PM   #20
tiggerkanga
tiggerkanga is on a distinguished road

I've been reading, laughing and learning since 2001, I'll be reading for years to come and hopefully still have saturn. Think they'll ever make one in purple?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tiggerkanga's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tiggerkanga reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tiggerkanga is offline   Reply With Quote