SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2008, 08:21 PM   #21
titan12
titan12 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: headlight bulb replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrb5711 View Post
Put up some pics. I wasn't going to change my fogs out, they looked good enough, let me see what they look like with new lights.
here ya go.. The pics from the iPhone aren't that great, but u get the idea..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0075.jpg (124.4 KB, 146 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to titan12's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help titan12 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
titan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2008, 09:29 PM   #22
hrb5711
hrb5711 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Hmm I guess I am going to do my fogs to...off to checkers!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hrb5711's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hrb5711 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hrb5711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 09:41 PM   #23
titan12

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Hmm I guess I am going to do my fogs to...off to checkers!
LOL.. yeah I'm glad I did mine.. The light at night is dang near pure white, and they are a heck of a lot easier to change than the headlights..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help titan12 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-06-2008, 11:27 PM   #24
hrb5711

2008 Astra XR

Yeah I have a few scars from changing my headlights.....that stuff sucked.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help hrb5711 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-08-2008, 02:17 AM   #25
hrb5711

2008 Astra XR

Alright I put the 9005 Ultra's in the headlights, 9175 ST ultras in the fogs, and 3157 "xenon" crap bulbs in the sides. The 3157 I will have to find better ones for, these were $8 at checkers and I just wanted to check the color of them.

I also added in some new LEDS to the interior.

P.S.

Sorry about the crappy camera. I need to get a new one sometime in the future.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF9063.JPG (38.0 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF9065.JPG (64.9 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF9071.JPG (59.3 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF9072.JPG (62.7 KB, 102 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-08-2008, 07:14 AM   #26
titan12

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Alright I put the 9005 Ultra's in the headlights, 9175 ST ultras in the fogs, and 3157 "xenon" crap bulbs in the sides. The 3157 I will have to find better ones for, these were $8 at checkers and I just wanted to check the color of them.

I also added in some new LEDS to the interior.

P.S.

Sorry about the crappy camera. I need to get a new one sometime in the future.

Looks good.. Have to try that style bulb in mine too.. Hate that orange light it give off with the stock bulb..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-08-2008, 09:18 PM   #27
titan12

2008 Astra XR

Just finished mine.. I think it looks sharp and its still stock...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0081.jpg (210.5 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0083.jpg (197.6 KB, 112 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-08-2008, 10:12 PM   #28
SaturnRaycer
SaturnRaycer is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Here are pics of the park and tail/stop/turn conversion to LED's that I did.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0115.jpg (145.9 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0119.jpg (100.6 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0118.jpg (124.1 KB, 115 views)

Rex
2008 Astra XR
5 dr, 5 spd, sport package
Black Sapphire

If you're going to wave, use all your fingers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnRaycer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnRaycer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnRaycer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 11:14 PM   #29
titan12

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnRaycer View Post
Here are pics of the park and tail/stop/turn conversion to LED's that I did.
looks great.. How involved was that?? Is it a kit??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-08-2008, 11:47 PM   #30
hrb5711

2008 Astra XR

Yeah I think I will go the LED route after seeing those, look great, and more the color I am looking for. And it would make me feel better than having some crappy bulbs with a blue filter in there .

If you could send me a how-to w/ the resistors and bulbs that would be great!

2008 Saturn Astra XR
2003 Saturn Vue (dead...miss that car.)
1999 Saturn SL-2 (It went against a F-150....and lost.)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-09-2008, 12:34 PM   #31
SaturnRaycer

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan12 View Post
looks great.. How involved was that?? Is it a kit??
It's not too bad at all. I got my stuff from Autolumination http://autolumination.com/ and SuperBright LED's http://www.superbrightleds.com/led_prods.htm. The tail lamps are "spider" lights and the parking lites are "tower" lights from Autolumination. I went to Superbright LED's and ordered 4 of their 6ohm 50w load resistors.

All the bulbs in the tail light assembly are equivalent to 1156. You'll need to splice in a load resistor between the stop/tail bulb (black w/yellow stripe) wire and the ground (brown IIRC). I did not change out the outer lamps, but I tried the Autolumination SMT Tower 30 High Powered Wide Angle SMT LEDS there. These work off the same resistor as the stop/turn/tails. I wasn't pleased with the "fill" in that segment of the lens.

If you want to use LED's in the backups, you'll need another pair of resistors. I don't recommend this, the LED's won't light much when you're backing up; they don't fill the reflector in the same way that a regular bulb does. This means that they won't project the light far enough to be useful, but it looks cool. Consider buying the SilverStar or xenon look bulbs if you want a blue-white light.

When you mount the load resistors, make sure they don't touch anything meltable or combustable. They get extremely hot - I have the blisters to prove it. I found a bracket that I could drill, then pop-riveted the load resistor to the metal bracket. It serves as an additional heat sink.

For the parking lamps, I used the Autolumination SMT Tower 30 High Powered Wide Angle SMT LEDS. Even though these are single purpose sockets, you need 3157 equivalents;3156's don't work. If you want to convert the turn signals, buy a pair in amber as well. In the front, you'll need to splice the load resistors into the wires that connect to the parking light sockets. You can try to use the same resistors for turn lights, by tapping into those wires - they run next to the parking light wires in the housing. I have not tried this. You might be better buying an extra pair of the load resistors.

In front, cut a slit in the lip of the collar for the parking lamp access and mount the resistors to a bracket just below the headlamp assembly with a pop rivet. You can access this bracket easily from under the car and it gets ambient air temp.

The job will take you about an hour with mounting the resistors, and doing the tail lamp disassembly. It's much easier to put the front of the car on jackstands and remove the front wheels. You can pull the fender liner down and get some working room.

Rex
2008 Astra XR
Black Sapphire

Last edited by SaturnRaycer; 10-09-2008 at 12:41 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnRaycer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-09-2008, 01:41 PM   #32
hrb5711

2008 Astra XR

Thanks for the write up. I guess I am going the LED route now, got pulled over by a cop on my way to work this morning. He let me know I had some crap that got caught underneath my car and he saw my side lights with the blue filter and said those are a no go in Hawaii (they don't past safety inspections). Something to do with when you change your light bulbs they have to be at least as bright as the stock and no brighter than 5000K HIDS basically. So my silverstars were all fine, just not the crap ones in the sides since they are not as bright as my stocks.

Luckily I carried the stock bulbs in my car because I really didn't trust those bulbs to last very long. So i popped them in real quick and he let me go without a ticket or telling me to get a new safety inspection.

So Titan if you have the blue filtered bulbs I would check your state laws and be sure those are legal and keep an extra set of bulbs in the car just to be safe.

2008 Saturn Astra XR
2003 Saturn Vue (dead...miss that car.)
1999 Saturn SL-2 (It went against a F-150....and lost.)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-09-2008, 03:32 PM   #33
SaturnRaycer

2008 Astra XR

Many states specifically outlaw the blue filtered bulbs. FWIW, the local Checker Auto and Autozone both sell LED's to replace the 194's in side markers. Probably need to do a resistor for them, too. The BCM monitors every bulb except the dome lights - and maybe them, too.

Forget about buying the electronic or "LED" flashers - The Astra doesn't have a flasher; its part of the steering column instrument cluster module.

Rex
2008 Astra XR
Black Sapphire

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-09-2008, 05:16 PM   #34
titan12

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Thanks for the write up. I guess I am going the LED route now, got pulled over by a cop on my way to work this morning. He let me know I had some crap that got caught underneath my car and he saw my side lights with the blue filter and said those are a no go in Hawaii (they don't past safety inspections). Something to do with when you change your light bulbs they have to be at least as bright as the stock and no brighter than 5000K HIDS basically. So my silverstars were all fine, just not the crap ones in the sides since they are not as bright as my stocks.

Luckily I carried the stock bulbs in my car because I really didn't trust those bulbs to last very long. So i popped them in real quick and he let me go without a ticket or telling me to get a new safety inspection.

So Titan if you have the blue filtered bulbs I would check your state laws and be sure those are legal and keep an extra set of bulbs in the car just to be safe.

Thanks for the heads up on that.. I will change them back... I don't need any more tickets..

I'm going with the LED route too.. Looks great!! Thanks for the write up racer!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-10-2008, 05:04 PM   #35
SaturnRaycer

2008 Astra XR
Default Update:LED's for tail/brake/turn & front lampsheadlight bulb replacement

In my "how to" a couple posts back I suggested using the load balancing resistor that you wire for the parking lights to work with the turn signals too. Sorry. Doesn't work. You have to have a separate load balancer for the turns. If you try to pair them, the turn lights come on with the parking lights and don't flash. I now have LED's in the main stop/tail/turn location as well as the front parking lamps and the front turn signals.

Rex
2008 Astra XR
Black Sapphire

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-16-2008, 12:21 PM   #36
paulff3
paulff3 will become famous soon enoughpaulff3 will become famous soon enough

Just to double check - the correct bulb for the low beam is 9005?

15 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring 5-Door Manual
14 BMW 435i M Sport 6speed
08 XR 5 speed - Blue with 3M film - SOLD!
03 Acura CLS 6speed - Silver with 3M film - SOLD!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to paulff3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help paulff3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
paulff3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 10:21 PM   #37
titan12

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulff3 View Post
Yes 9005 is the correct bulb for the projector beams on the Astra..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-16-2008, 10:36 PM   #38
SaturnRaycer

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulff3 View Post
There is only one bulb, but the projector changes a shutter to go from low to high beam. 9005 is the correct bulb.

Rex
2008 Astra XR
Black Sapphire

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-17-2008, 01:50 PM   #39
paulff3
paulff3 will become famous soon enoughpaulff3 will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=hrb5711;1327886]Alright I put the 9005 Ultra's in the headlights, 9175 ST ultras in the fogs, and 3157 "xenon" crap bulbs in the sides. The 3157 I will have to find better ones for, these were $8 at checkers and I just wanted to check the color of them.

For the fogs, Sylvania has a Silver Star H10 equivalent 9145. Is that what you used? They do not make an "Ultra" H10.

15 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring 5-Door Manual
14 BMW 435i M Sport 6speed
08 XR 5 speed - Blue with 3M film - SOLD!
03 Acura CLS 6speed - Silver with 3M film - SOLD!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to paulff3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help paulff3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
paulff3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 08:54 PM   #40
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPEL Blitz View Post
wish I could get to the link, it is expired. Can you repost it again or os there somewhere else I can get it? Thanks.

marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marx404's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marx404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marx404 is offline   Reply With Quote