SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2008, 12:14 AM   #1
Khellendrose
Khellendrose is on a distinguished road

Default O2 Sensor Question

What is the difference between heated and unheated? And what would be the best ones to get for my car being an 01 SC2? From what i has seen online heated has the ability to heat the sensor faster to improve emisions at lower temps(when the car is warming up) Would so i guess the question is should i do a heated or can i even do heated on the 01 SC2? I live in washington state so its fairly rainy all the time.

Last edited by Khellendrose; 03-16-2008 at 12:28 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Khellendrose's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Khellendrose reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Khellendrose is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2008, 12:39 AM   #2
Khellendrose

Default Re: O2 Sensor Question

Also where exactly is the 2nd O2 sensor? and should i replace them both? Im not getting any codes im just about to hit the 100k mile mark and want to get the jump on the 100k parts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Khellendrose reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-16-2008, 01:02 AM   #3
asdf
Advanced Member
asdf is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2
1995 SC2

The downstream one, which is off the back of the catalytic converter, is heated because it can't always stay hot enough (600 degrees) itself. The primary one is on the exhaust manifold, and it doesn't really need to be heated anyways, it warms up in a minute or two already.

The rear one is basically only there to monitor the efficiency of the catalytic converter (has other uses too). Never waste money on getting a rear one until you have eliminate all other possible problems. Your 2001 is extremely picky with the oxygen sensors too, and you won't want to touch them if there are not DTCs in the PCM. If you were to have DTCs for both sensors at the same time, replace the front and then reset, and continure driving, and if a rear sensor code comes up, then you can continue to diagnose the problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to asdf's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help asdf reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
asdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 01:29 AM   #4
Khellendrose

What do you mean DTCs? What brand should I go with for the front one? Bosh?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-16-2008, 01:37 AM   #5
asdf
Advanced Member

1996 SC2
1995 SC2

You know, the trouble codes, ones that will light up the SES. I personally have had terrible luck with Bosch sensors, I always buy them straight from Saturn (which are nice Japanese ones). I'm sure other people will say Bosch worked well for them though, so don't take my word for it.

Just keep in mind though that the rear sensor doesn't normally need to be replaced. Usually the codes are just stating that there is too much oxygen coming through the catalytic converter, which could come from a million causes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to asdf's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help asdf reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-16-2008, 01:43 AM   #6
Khellendrose

Ok so it would not hurt to just change the front one, without having any codes just as prevnative maint?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-16-2008, 02:02 AM   #7
asdf
Advanced Member

1996 SC2
1995 SC2

Well, again, if the PCM has nothing to say about it, then best not touch it. The 2001 has a LOT of parameters that the front oxygen sensor much meet and it is constantly monitored. Like I said, it is really touchy, if the sensor makes one false move, that SES light will come on.

Also, although this is a bit controversial, a nice "broken-in" oxygen is usually preferable as it may not be producing exactly as much voltage as it was new, and so the engine actually ends up using a bit less gas (sensor says it's at 14/7:1 when it really 15:1 or so) which is perfectly fine in most people's case.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to asdf's Reputation