SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2007, 01:09 AM   #1
madeinUSA
madeinUSA is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2
1998 SW2
Default Diff-Pin Mod

The roll pin for my diff pin broke & cracked the trans case (manual) on my '92 SL2. I have another trans but will not put it in until I can secure the diff pin better (seen this happen too many times). What do you guys put in place of the roll pin? (I did a search in Mods forum& could not find anything; Sorry if this has been coverd before or I am in the wrong place..Thanks!)

'92 SL2 / '91 SC / '06 Cobalt SS (supercharged!)....Proud American driving American made!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madeinUSA's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madeinUSA reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madeinUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2007, 01:38 AM   #2
dragon370
dragon370 is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
Default Re: Diff-Pin Mod

you weld the stock pin in place.

Brendan
1997 SC1- "Stacy" dk green, 5spd, Motegi, Kuhmo tires

Under the most rigorously controlled conditions, the Saturn will do as it damn well pleases.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dragon370's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dragon370 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dragon370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 02:13 AM   #3
GmG
Advanced Member
GmG is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
1992 SC

Picture from wolfman: http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...00/ppuser/3528

I know there's others in the gallery. Searching for something like "weld diff pin" should give you a bunch of old threads.

George
92 SCm 138k
98 SC2m 131k

"You shouldn't leave things in the fridge. That is the lesson."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GmG's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GmG reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GmG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 09:02 AM   #4
94503 is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2

u dont need a whole new tran u can replace the diff and the bell housing from another tran also

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 94503's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 94503 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
94503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 12:57 PM   #5
S3aturnR
Master Member
S3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeinUSA View Post
The roll pin for my diff pin broke & cracked the trans case (manual) on my '92 SL2. I have another trans but will not put it in until I can secure the diff pin better (seen this happen too many times). What do you guys put in place of the roll pin? (I did a search in Mods forum& could not find anything; Sorry if this has been coverd before or I am in the wrong place..Thanks!)
i would think that if the diff pin was welded, you could then remove the roll pin altogether. i've never done that, tho...

s3aturnr

"reno is a lot like maybury, except everyone's on crystal meth and prostitution's legal" - junior

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to S3aturnR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help S3aturnR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
S3aturnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 03:32 PM   #6
BlackBirdRacing
Advanced Member
BlackBirdRacing is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2

no sense in removing the roll pin...

weld it!!
and your spider gears can still come flying out of your trans...

P.S. quit spinning the tires!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BlackBirdRacing's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BlackBirdRacing reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BlackBirdRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 11:11 PM   #7
madeinUSA
madeinUSA is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmG View Post
Picture from wolfman: http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...00/ppuser/3528

I know there's others in the gallery. Searching for something like "weld diff pin" should give you a bunch of old threads.
Thanks for the info...does welding the pin have any side effects? Mine broke while backing up...stopped the car like I hit a stump! I guess almost 200,000 miles finally broke the original roll pin. Again thanks for the help....this site is much more mature than over on Cobaltss.net!

'92 SL2 / '91 SC / '06 Cobalt SS (supercharged!)....Proud American driving American made!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madeinUSA's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madeinUSA reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madeinUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 05:22 PM   #8
tarsun
Advanced Member
tarsun is on a distinguished road

i just used a paper-clip. seems to work well

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tarsun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tarsun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tarsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 05:42 PM   #9
xtremeranger
Advanced Member
xtremeranger is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE Red Line
2006 ION Red Line

Is this just a Manual tranny thing or could this happen to an auto....im pretty easy on mine....

2005 VUE Red Line AWD - Tint, Audio, K&N
2006 ION Red Line Competition Package - Stage 2, strut bar, Hurst, Antenna delete, tinted corners, painted headlights

1998 SL2 - SOLD 87K-113K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to xtremeranger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help xtremeranger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
xtremeranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 09:29 PM   #10
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremeranger View Post
Is this just a Manual tranny thing or could this happen to an auto....im pretty easy on mine....
Same open differential is use in both the automatic and manual "S" series transaxles...

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 04:40 AM   #11
xtremeranger
Advanced Member
xtremeranger is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE Red Line
2006 ION Red Line

Damn......Im really easy on mine but if the front tires lock up doing 70 on the highway...I guess ill have an idea of what happened.....

2005 VUE Red Line AWD - Tint, Audio, K&N
2006 ION Red Line Competition Package - Stage 2, strut bar, Hurst, Antenna delete, tinted corners, painted headlights

1998 SL2 - SOLD 87K-113K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to xtremeranger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help xtremeranger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
xtremeranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 07:43 PM   #12
myoung
Advanced Member
myoung is on a distinguished road

you have to do a better job than in that picture if you expect it to hold up. once I blew one welded one up, I wised up. taper the edges of the diff pin and grind some away around the edges so that you have a large groove to lay a bead of weld in. I did that the second time around and it's still ticking (albeit with a different driver, I've moved on to nicer cars)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to myoung's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help myoung reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 12:08 AM   #13
Cat Fuzz
Cat Fuzz is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2

I may be off here but doesn't the diff pin spin as long as the car is moving and at the speed it is moving at? If so I don't see how doing burn-outs would make the pin any more susceptible to flying apart than driving down the freeway at 75mph.

03 GMC Envoy XL
99 Isuzu Rodeo V-6, 4WD, Rebuilt 3.2L with 3.5L internals
63 Mercury Comet Convertible

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cat Fuzz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cat Fuzz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cat Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 08:26 AM   #14
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Because going down the road at 70, there isn't a major difference in tire speed from each other. It's not the spinning of the tires that blows the pin it's when one hooks up before the other one.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 11:28 AM   #15
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

If you really want a permanent fix and money's no object, you could always go with a Quaife.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 11:53 AM   #16
alleninpa
alleninpa will become famous soon enoughalleninpa will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XR
1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
Because going down the road at 70, there isn't a major difference in tire speed from each other. It's not the spinning of the tires that blows the pin it's when one hooks up before the other one.
Same deal with locking your tires at 70 as one of the above posters mentioned. If one tire locks, and the other one spins yet, your diff will really take a beating.

If it ain't broke it's over designed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alleninpa's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alleninpa reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alleninpa is offline   Reply With Quote