SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2007, 06:38 PM   #1
Yann
Yann is on a distinguished road

Default 2001 SL1---need some performance tips

Hey everyone, I bought a flooded 2001 SL1, here's what I've done so far:

-swapped out the SOHC for a DOHC (currently 21k miles in DOHC)
-aluminum rims (from an SL2)
- drop-in K&N filter (probably a stupid idea, should have bought an intake instead)
-switched out all the electronics

So here's the thing: I'm a total noob when it comes to performance parts, and I'm on a $300 budget. I don't know what I should go for, intake, exhaust? What's the best way to spend my money to get a decent performance boost? Also, I was wondering if the SL2 differed from the SL1 in anything other than the twin cam and power doors/locks?

I saw a "universal performance intake" at Pep Boys for $60 but I don't trust anything that's that cheap. Should I go for it?

Thanks a million

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Yann's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Yann reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Yann is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2007, 06:57 PM   #2
HiWire
HiWire is just really niceHiWire is just really niceHiWire is just really niceHiWire is just really niceHiWire is just really nice

2001 SC2
Default Re: 2001 SL1---need some performance tips

The gearing is different between the two cars and I think there is a lower speed limiter on the SL1 in the computer. Also, there might be a rear sway bar and fog lights on the SL2 - but at least the SL1 is lighter. In earlier years, rear disc brakes were offered, and are somewhat compatible with new Saturns. The exhaust is the more immediately exciting performance part, but it's best to get both over time.

The Pep Boys product sounds like a bad idea. Each engine has its own unique intake and exhaust requirements.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HiWire's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HiWire reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
HiWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 07:38 PM   #3
Yann
Yann is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info. I was wondering, it says elsewhere on the site that you can make a cold-air intake from ABS tubing, is that a good alternative for the airbox system? Also, what parts besides the muffler need to be replaced if I want to upgrade the exhaust? The last thing I want is a ricer sound, any tips?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Yann's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Yann reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Yann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 09:23 PM   #4
ajs_saturn
Advanced Member
ajs_saturn will become famous soon enoughajs_saturn will become famous soon enough

2001 SL1
2001 SC1

http://www.saturnmotorsports.com/cat...d7a463f842244athere is a nice 4-2-1 header for your car @ $350, but that's $50 above your budget. to keep you from getting the ricer sound, put on a resonator in place of your muffler, don't use a straight-through tuner muffler, you can find that at any muffler shop and it's like $120-$150 after purchase and labor

2001 SL1 5spd - DOHC swap and MS in the works
Bought 02/27/14

2000 SL 5spd
Bought 04/05/05
Sold 06/14/10

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ajs_saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ajs_saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ajs_saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 01:51 AM   #5
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

LOTS of other differences. Power locks was not one of them, as they were an option on both models. Sx2 models have:

(functional)
* 15" wheels standard
* Larger front sway bar
* Rear sway bar (none on the SOHC)
* 130 MPH speedometer / 8000 RPM tach
* lower gearing for performance
* variable-assist power steering (SOHC p/s not variable)
* Better seats
* Front bumper capable of taking fog lamps
* Exhaust resonator

(cosmetic)
* Painted door handles
* (sedan only) Reflector on trunk lid

You've done the wheels. Presumably you did the cluster (as part of "electronics"). If you had an automatic, the original tranny wouldn't have worked. With your 5-speed, if you keep the original tranny, you'll get better mileage but worse performance, and you won't be able to connect factory cruise. The sway bars will make a difference in handling, esp. with those 15"ers. Variable p/s will improve handling (hm, I always thought that a DOHC PCM without a variable p/s plugged in would throw a code).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 01:28 PM   #6
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=776885

85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote