SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 01:16 PM   #1
chiefscott1701
chiefscott1701 is on a distinguished road

Default How do I disable auto-locking doors? My daughter was stuck for 30 minutes!!!

Here is what happened to my wife today.

She loads my baby daughter in the back seat of the car, gets in the driver seat, starts the engine, and is about to drive when she notices the trunk is still open. She opens the driver door, gets out, closes it, goes to the trunk, and closes the trunk. The second the trunk closed, the doors LOCKED!

My daughter was stuck in the car for 30 minutes until I could arrive with a spare key! What an assinine feature! How do I disable it?!?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chiefscott1701's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chiefscott1701 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2005, 01:22 PM   #2
robert_vue
Advanced Member
robert_vue is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: How do I disable auto-locking doors? My daughter was stuck for 30 minutes!!!

The manual covers this, however it doesn't sound like the engine was running. It sounds like maybe the lock button was pressed at one time. If I press the lock button while a door or 2 are open, then after I close the last remaining door, all the doors will lock. The manual says something about if you leave the keys in the ignition and you lock the doors that the drivers side door will unlock in a few seconds, but I can't remember the exact time.

Personally, I'm so paranoid of getting into that type of situation (after locking my keys in my car over 10 years ago), that if I EVER get out of the car and leave the keys IN the car, I roll the window down enough that I could reach in and unlock the doors if they should happen to lock.

I'm just curious, was the car really running? Did your wife hit the unlock (unlock all doors) to get out, or just unlock her door?

Robert R.
03 VUE: Oct 15, 2002 - Dec 5, 2004 R.I.P.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to robert_vue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help robert_vue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-11-2005, 01:27 PM   #3
scotsman
scotsman is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XE
2003 VUE 3.0L
Default Re: How do I disable auto-locking doors? My daughter was stuck for 30 minutes!!!

Couple things come time mind here. One: is the vehicle is manual transmission? The auto lock feature on the automatics won't engage until the selector is placed in gear. It unlocks automatically in park. As mine is an automatic, I don't have any idea on how the door lock feature works on the 5sp (manual) Vue.
Secondly: if you purchased the vehicle new, you should have received a "valet" key. If not, you might want to talk to your Saturn part dept. about getting one. Could be something to look at for your wife to carry with her. I carry mine all the time...just in case.

2009 Aura XE
2003 Vue AWD 3.0
2000 SL2 5spd
1996 SL1 Auto
Former Saturns:
1999 SW2 5spd
1997 SL1 5spd (1st Saturn!)
1994 SL2 5spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to scotsman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help scotsman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-11-2005, 01:38 PM   #4
CaTiRo
CaTiRo is on a distinguished road

if the doors are locked but one or more doors are ajar, then after all the doors are close they will lock after a 5 second delay. the delayed locking feature can be overridden by pressing the lock button on the remote, or door switch, a second time. the doors will lock immediately and when all the doors are the closed the theft-deterrent system will arm after 30 seconds.

the doors also will automatically lock if the vehicle is in gear and is going faster than 3 mph.

in the following 2 situations, when a door is opened, all the doors will lock again:

1. the brake pedal is applied, a door is opened and then closed, and the brake pedal is released.
2. a door is opened and closed without the brake pedal applied while the vehicle is moving faster than 3 mph.

2000 Honda Civic Si -- [I]SOLD[/I]
2004 Saturn Vue (white)
2004 Honda Civic Ex

Last edited by CaTiRo; 01-11-2005 at 01:49 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CaTiRo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CaTiRo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-11-2005, 04:19 PM   #5
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

It wouldn't have been a manual VUE. Manual VUEs lock when the vehicle starts moving.
~D.J.~

2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OhioVueBoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-11-2005, 04:27 PM   #6
robert_vue
Advanced Member
robert_vue is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L

I was not aware there was a difference between the automatic and the manual, so my response was catered to the manual VUE's, as I see OhioVueBoy has covered well.

Robert R.
03 VUE: Oct 15, 2002 - Dec 5, 2004 R.I.P.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to robert_vue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help robert_vue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-11-2005, 04:31 PM   #7
CaTiRo
CaTiRo is on a distinguished road

yeah, mine response was for a manual as well. i didn't know there was a different between the manual and auto power locks.

2000 Honda Civic Si -- [I]SOLD[/I]
2004 Saturn Vue (white)
2004 Honda Civic Ex

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CaTiRo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CaTiRo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-11-2005, 07:44 PM   #8
VUEnumber1
Advanced Member
VUEnumber1 will become famous soon enough

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 VUE 3.5L

As mentioned, it takes 3mph for our manual's auto locks to engage.

Did she leave it in "D" with the parking brake on? Wouldn't that do it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VUEnumber1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VUEnumber1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-11-2005, 09:03 PM   #9
DP49657
DP49657 is on a distinguished road

I don't know about the vue but on my 03 L push the door lock in the unlock position for 8 seconds till you hear a beep beep. The key must be in the run position. This will keep the doors from locking. Hope this helps.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DP49657's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DP49657 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-11-2005, 10:13 PM   #10
Mistomax
Mistomax is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L

According to my manual (and I have a manual--transmission, that is), the Vue is designed to be darn near idiot proof as far as locking your keys in your car. The only thing it doesn't cover is if you take your keys out of the ignition and lay them on the seat or something. It doesn't sense that.

However, I have had my keys locked in a running vehicle before (different vehicle), and I don't trust any of these damned electronics for a second. The door doesn't close with the window rolled up while the vehicle is running, let's put it that way.

I wasn't looking for a Vue--now I have one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mistomax's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mistomax reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-12-2005, 07:31 AM   #11
PCF
PCF is just really nicePCF is just really nicePCF is just really nicePCF is just really nice

2004 VUE 2.2L
2005 VUE 2.2L
Question Re: How do I disable auto-locking doors? My daughter was stuck for 30 minutes!!!

Hi folks,

I think Chiefscott's questions remains unanswered, I am also looking for the solution. From previus posts on this subject, I've seen conflicting information:

1) The autolock feature cannot be disabled
2) It can be disabled if one of the dealer technicians programs it to off using a Tech2 scan tool

I agree that autolock is an asinine feature, I have never owned a car that did this. The owner's manual describes how to turn of auto-unlock, but not how to turn off auto-lock.

If anyone has had a successful experience in programming the autolock feature to off, please post the solution. I want to be able to switch this feature off on my new one due any day. This is a software setting in the BCM and there should be a way to disable this. Does anyone with a dealer connection on these boards have a way to find this out?

On my 2004 without power locks, the rear hatch would lock automatically when the vehicle moved. I was able to "deprogram" that feature by clipping the grey wire that goes to the actuator behind the hatch trim panel. Now the hatch will lock or unlock when I put the key in and turn.

I also recommend hiding an emergency spare key somewhere on the vehicle exterior to avoid a lockout in the future.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PCF's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PCF reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-12-2005, 09:04 AM   #12
LTS
Advanced Member
LTS is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

The only feature that I am aware of that will automatically lock the doors after they are all closed is hitting the lock button on the FOB. IE. You leave a door open and then hit the lock button. Once the last door is closed the doors will lock. However, when you do this a chime sounds inside the vehicle that you have activated the lock feature.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LTS's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LTS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-12-2005, 09:50 AM   #13
TDuck
TDuck is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2

It sounds to me that we don't quite have all the info, and that the only way this may have happened as described is if it's an Automatic and she accidentally left it in gear when exiting. Perhaps she could put a spare in her pocket and attempt to recreate the incident (minus your daughter)? That would help hash out the exact situation. I know that I have found the autolock design to be rather intuitive on my girlfriend's VUE (2004 5spd).

Last edited by TDuck; 01-12-2005 at 09:53 AM.. Reason: afterthought

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TDuck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TDuck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-12-2005, 10:00 AM   #14
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioVueBoy
It wouldn't have been a manual VUE. Manual VUEs lock when the vehicle starts moving.
~D.J.~
Sometimes I can back my VUE all the way down the driveway without the doors locking. But it seems like if I hit the curb transition kinda hard it will trigger the locks. Here's what I'm thinking: are the locks solely controlled by when the vehicle is moving above some speed (3 mph) or can the locks also be triggered by a sudden shock- like my curb transition or slamming the tailgate?

--Tom

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-12-2005, 10:57 AM   #15
PCF
PCF is just really nicePCF is just really nicePCF is just really nicePCF is just really nice

2004 VUE 2.2L
2005 VUE 2.2L
Question Re: How do I disable auto-locking doors? My daughter was stuck for 30 minutes!!!

The interest is not how or why it happened.

The interest is how to disable the auto lock feature!

Does anyone have an answer to this?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PCF's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PCF reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-12-2005, 12:48 PM   #16
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCF
The interest is how to disable the auto lock feature!

Does anyone have an answer to this?
As stated in the first reply, it's in the manual. Blow the dust off the cover, cut open the plastic wrap and give it a read.

--Tom

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-12-2005, 12:55 PM   #17
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTS
The only feature that I am aware of that will automatically lock the doors after they are all closed is hitting the lock button on the FOB. IE. You leave a door open and then hit the lock button. Once the last door is closed the doors will lock. However, when you do this a chime sounds inside the vehicle that you have activated the lock feature.
The locking scheme is different on 2004+ VUEs. They now have delayed locking on the interior buttons, also.
~D.J.~

2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OhioVueBoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-12-2005, 01:04 PM   #18
ricksLS1
Master Member
ricksLS1 has a spectacular aura aboutricksLS1 has a spectacular aura about

I don't like when you put in park (On my 2003 at least) that the doors unlock automatically. On my L you have to take the keys out for the doors to automatically unlock.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ricksLS1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ricksLS1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-12-2005, 02:05 PM   #19
PCF

2004 VUE 2.2L
2005 VUE 2.2L

I have read both the 2004 and 2005 Vue owner's manuals thoroughly. There is no mention in either on how to disable the auto LOCK feature. Try it!

There is only information on how to disable the auto UNLOCK feature.

So far, we have been unable to have anyone describe a procedure on disabling the auto LOCK feature. It may not be possible on the Vue. In an ealier thread, one Vue owner mentioned that 3 different dealers had told him it could not be done.

My hope is the collective wisdom from this group should be able to find a way.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PCF's Reputation
Old 01-12-2005, 02:16 PM   #20
ricksLS1
Master Member
ricksLS1 has a spectacular aura aboutricksLS1 has a spectacular aura about

The only way I know to autolock is to hit the Lock on the key fob while the doors are open and when they (and the trunck are closed) the doors lock. THe other way ii to hit the lock button on the door and when closed locked.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ricksLS1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ricksLS1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread