SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 11:11 AM   #1
pruitts
pruitts is on a distinguished road

Default What size of LED for automatic window/cruise control?

My husband wants to replace the LEDs on the automatic window control and the cruise control in his Vue, from orange to blue. If anyone has any information on what the size of the LED is (and any other pertinent information I need), I would gladly appreciate it. I want to try to get him these as a Christmas present...

Thank you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pruitts's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pruitts reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2004, 12:53 PM   #2
VUEnumber1
Advanced Member
VUEnumber1 will become famous soon enough

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: What size of LED for automatic window/cruise control?

They're 3mm LEDs. That's what I used.

I'd avoid using the "super bright" variety, as they'll light up your headliner and he'll have to take it all apart again and put a filter of some sort over the LED. Ask me how I know that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VUEnumber1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VUEnumber1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-15-2004, 02:38 PM   #3
robert_vue
Advanced Member
robert_vue is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L

I agree on not using the super bright ones. Occasionally when sitting and talking with a passenger in the front seat we have to put napkins or a jacket over the center console. As the driver, you get used to them -- I had a bright blue one on the cruise control light too, but your passengers can't always get used to them.

When doing the driver's window, be very careful -- my automatic down stopped working on it after I soldered on the LED.

Robert R.
03 VUE: Oct 15, 2002 - Dec 5, 2004 R.I.P.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to robert_vue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help robert_vue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-15-2004, 04:31 PM   #4
Dante
Master Member
Dante is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2

So, you just have to heat up the legs on the old LED and pull it off, then solder the new one on? Is it really that simple, or is there a trick here? My confidence with soldering and LEDs is growing as I do other little projects, and this one (like SQVue's sweeet setup) is one I'd like to get done by next summer. TIA.

Tupperware cars FTW!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dante's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dante reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-15-2004, 05:09 PM   #5
robert_vue
Advanced Member

2005 VUE 2.2L

I suck at desoldering (I think I need that bulb to suck off the solder), so in the end I just ended up cutting off the LED and soldering the new one on at the board. This worked best for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante
So, you just have to heat up the legs on the old LED and pull it off, then solder the new one on? Is it really that simple, or is there a trick here? My confidence with soldering and LEDs is growing as I do other little projects, and this one (like SQVue's sweeet setup) is one I'd like to get done by next summer. TIA.

Robert R.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help robert_vue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-15-2004, 06:22 PM   #6
pruitts
pruitts is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by VUEnumber1
They're 3mm LEDs. That's what I used.

I'd avoid using the "super bright" variety, as they'll light up your headliner and he'll have to take it all apart again and put a filter of some sort over the LED. Ask me how I know that.
Any idea what store or internet site I purchase these from?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pruitts's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pruitts reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-15-2004, 08:05 PM   #7
VUEnumber1
Advanced Member

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 VUE 3.5L

I just pulled the old one off with the iron melting the solder, then pushed a new one in, also with the solder melted. You could also just cut the old one off like robert did and solder the new one to the legs left behind.

You just have to bend the wires the right way on the driver side to get automatic down switch to work.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help VUEnumber1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-11-2005, 12:33 AM   #8
robert_vue
Advanced Member

2005 VUE 2.2L

I cannot for the life of me remember how to take apart the window controls on the left hand side. I'm actually stuck on removing the rear window child lock control thing. I cannot remember how that thing pops up. I've finished the right hand window side (bright blue), but now need to work on the left hand side.

Arghhh!

Thanks.

Robert R.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-11-2005, 12:55 AM   #9
VUEnumber1
Advanced Member

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 VUE 3.5L

The rocker pulls straight up. Make sure it's not tilted to one side (locked or unlocked) and pull it straight up.

John

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-11-2005, 01:13 PM   #10
robert_vue
Advanced Member

2005 VUE 2.2L

And then, I finally figured it out. It has to come off somehow I figured, and I yanked it off from the side (the direction the rocker goes). I was trying from the other side (perpendicular to the rocker direction) and the plastic just ends up bending like it's going to break. SCARY!

So off topic, those of you that solder onto the PCB, what equipment do you use? I've determined that almost for sure, I am using the WRONG equipment. Also what kind of solder do you use? I think my solder is wrong too. My solder works perfect for joining two wires together, but sucks when it comes to the board.

Anyways, my cruise control LED, and window LEDs are finally complete, and this time I didn't mess up the Auto-Down feature on the driver's side door.

Robert R.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-11-2005, 05:20 PM   #11
evilburl
evilburl is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L
1993 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruitts
My husband wants to replace the LEDs on the automatic window control and the cruise control in his Vue, from orange to blue. If anyone has any information on what the size of the LED is (and any other pertinent information I need), I would gladly appreciate it. I want to try to get him these as a Christmas present...

Thank you.
OMG my wife thought I was crazy to want to do this,,, cool

[COLOR=DarkRed]My SL2 has over 300 000 kl on it and still keeps going and going. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=Blue]My VUE is on its way :)[/COLOR]

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to evilburl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help evilburl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-23-2005, 03:21 PM   #12
evilburl
evilburl is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L
1993 SL2

Quote:
I found the adpmods web store has them. the linky ishere.

[COLOR=DarkRed]My SL2 has over 300 000 kl on it and still keeps going and going. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=Blue]My VUE is on its way :)[/COLOR]

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to evilburl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help evilburl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-25-2005, 09:57 PM   #13
beachkeefes
beachkeefes is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Any Radio Shack store (or radioshack.com) should have them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to beachkeefes's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help beachkeefes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-13-2005, 04:46 PM   #14
TheDude
TheDude is on a distinguished road

Happy Re: What size of LED for automatic window/cruise control?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_vue
And then, I finally figured it out. It has to come off somehow I figured, and I yanked it off from the side (the direction the rocker goes). I was trying from the other side (perpendicular to the rocker direction) and the plastic just ends up bending like it's going to break. SCARY!

So off topic, those of you that solder onto the PCB, what equipment do you use? I've determined that almost for sure, I am using the WRONG equipment. Also what kind of solder do you use? I think my solder is wrong too. My solder works perfect for joining two wires together, but sucks when it comes to the board.

Anyways, my cruise control LED, and window LEDs are finally complete, and this time I didn't mess up the Auto-Down feature on the driver's side door.

Are the switches pretty easy to remove? Does anyone have any procedures (with pics) on how to do this?.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TheDude's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TheDude reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread