SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 06:31 PM   #1
robert_vue
Advanced Member
robert_vue is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default How fast do YOU drive in the rain?

I'm curious, one rain accident later in my VUE, how fast do you drive in the rain? I know it seems like an odd question, but I'm now terrified of driving in the rain from an accident. All signs see, to point to performance of the OEM tires that come with the VUE, the duellers though. When I do drive in the rain, I drive a very very slow 45-50 mph. Watch out for me! I'll be in the slow lane though, so as not to cause too many problems for everyone else. I used to drive (and felt safe) about 60-70 mph, depending on just how heavy the rain was.

I need to know if you have AWD or just FWD (like me) too, and original tires or not.

Thanks for your help!

Robert R.
03 VUE: Oct 15, 2002 - Dec 5, 2004 R.I.P.

Last edited by robert_vue; 01-08-2005 at 06:38 PM.. Reason: How do I delete a duplicate post??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to robert_vue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help robert_vue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2005, 07:20 PM   #2
SaturngirlSc2
SaturngirlSc2 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: How fast do YOU drive in the rain?

Hi,

I have an 04 V6 FWD Vue and it has been raining here in Rainy Seal Beach, Cali for about a week (although it seems longer).

However, with the crappy Duellers, I drive about 45/50 depending on how bad it is. I had to drop off my sister in law on the 29th of December at LAX. The rain was so bad (and it was early morning, but dark out) that I really didn't think I was going to make it back home without getting in an accident.

I didn't, but as soon as I get some extra cash, I am getting rid of these things.. They are dangerous....

Laura

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturngirlSc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturngirlSc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-08-2005, 07:24 PM   #3
robert_vue
Advanced Member

2005 VUE 2.2L

Thanks for your input. I wish I had known about the crappy duellers before I was confidently driving 60mph in the rain. It was a light rain, and had been raining a lot, so I didn't think anything of it. I have about 800 miles on my duellers on my '05, you think I can sell them on ebay, if and when I buy new tires?

Robert R.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help robert_vue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-08-2005, 07:40 PM   #4
sschumann
sschumann is on a distinguished road

Thumbs Up Re: How fast do YOU drive in the rain?

I've had no problems with the oem tires on my 2004 Vue up to 80 mph in the rain on a highway. I've got 15K on them now. 35psi in each

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sschumann's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sschumann reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-08-2005, 08:20 PM   #5
scotted73
Advanced Member
scotted73 is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
2002 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

I drive the speed limit +5mph or I keep up with the flow of traffic. I currently live in the Pacific Northwest---Everett, Washington. I have an '03 AWD V-6 with the original 235/65/16 OEM Duellers sporting 38,000 miles. I haven't had any problems with the OEM tires and they still have a great deal of tread left. The tires do a great job of sticking in turns even at above the posted recommended speed and in wet conditions. But, I am sure to slow down for puddles or conditions that may warrant hydroplaning. The AWD kicks in if I am making a hard turn from a stop on gravel or wet streets.

I drove cross-country in October 2004, from Rhode Island to Washington towing a 1500# trailer. We drove through a lot of different weather and road conditions and never once felt the Duellers slip or feel unstable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dueller01.JPG (59.5 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Dueller02.JPG (41.3 KB, 28 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to scotted73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help scotted73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-08-2005, 10:56 PM   #6
runerx
runerx is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

IMHO the Duelers get plain scary as they wear. I recently put continental contipremier contact 225-65-16 on my FWD and Its night and day different. The duelers when new were better in the snow but for the 5- days of the year that we have significant snow ill live with it.
There have been a number of VUE owners that have had accidents realated to excessive speed in the rain. From what ive heard it is a combination of driving too fast and relatively poor wet traction from the dualers. Not that I can say much cuz I drive way too fast all of the time....
I run my tires at 30 frt - 32 rear got rid of the saggy/soft feel in turns.

DJ

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to runerx's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help runerx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-08-2005, 11:13 PM   #7
bswarm
bswarm is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.4L
2003 ION-1 Sedan

80+ MPH on the 215/70R16 Duelers on a wet I-8 to Mt Laguna, Then drove in the snow on Sunrise Highway without chains. (Your neighborhood robert_vue!)
They are decent OE tires but I'm going to upgrade to 235/70R16 Dueler H/L when I need to. I've got some H/L's on another vehicle and like them a lot.

Front wheel drive, 5 speed, no traction control, no ABS, 10,000 miles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bswarm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bswarm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-08-2005, 11:22 PM   #8
VUEnumber1
Advanced Member
VUEnumber1 will become famous soon enough

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 VUE 3.5L

There are many factors that tell me what speed to drive.

For instance, there are a couple freeways here that have the grooved surface to channel water away. Those roads I feel more confident on.

I also drive in the tracks made by the car in front of me to reduce the amount of water I drive through. That will also reduce the tendency to hydroplane.

If it's been raining for 2 weeks like it has here, I know the oil covering the roads has been washed away and slippery patches are less likely.

I'll drive slowest during or just after the first rain, if there's nobody in front of me on a smooth road surface.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VUEnumber1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VUEnumber1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-09-2005, 01:16 PM   #9
scotsman
scotsman is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XE
2003 VUE 3.0L

Just dumped the Duellers last week. New tires (Kuhmo's) made all the difference!
Towards the end of their usable life, the Duellers were getting worse in the rain. On dry pavement, they seemed to be ok still. They had 48K miles when replaced.

2009 Aura XE
2003 Vue AWD 3.0
2000 SL2 5spd
1996 SL1 Auto
Former Saturns:
1999 SW2 5spd
1997 SL1 5spd (1st Saturn!)
1994 SL2 5spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to scotsman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help scotsman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-09-2005, 04:40 PM   #10
burnout
Master Member
burnout is on a distinguished road

I hope you didn't damage your new VUE!

(We have identical cars )

'13 VW CC 2.0T
'99 Volvo S70 AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to burnout's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help burnout reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-09-2005, 06:42 PM   #11
walt
walt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura about

I drive about 55 in the rain and have had the VUE hydroplane on me with the factory tires.You have to be careful because the VUE will act like a car in some situations.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to walt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help walt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-09-2005, 10:37 PM   #12
MaxSL2
Advanced Member
MaxSL2 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

I keep it around the speed limit in rain and try to avoid standing water at all costs.

My father riding as a passenger even commented to me once that the tires hydroplane really bad when the VUE veered quickly when I hit some standing water at the road's edge. The Dueler HTs also make the poor balance of the front halfshafts very apparent at wet, oil stained stoplights or in slushy snow, where the left wheel chatters/spins like mad and the right wheel does nothing unless copious amounts of clutch slip are used.

The Duelers look good and wear well, but I think I'm trying the Michelin LX4s when I finally am fed up with them. My tire of choice on my SL2 some would consider cheap junk (185/65-15Tiger Paw TRs) but they were WAY more confidence inspiring than these BS tires.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MaxSL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MaxSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-09-2005, 11:36 PM   #13
David Harleyson
David Harleyson is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

I still have good tread depth on my OEM Duelers 235/60-17 so speed and hydroplaning have not been an issue to this point. However, these tires are only a "B" traction and a "B" temperature tire. Not my idea of a quality tire. Unfortunatly we 17" people are VERY limited to what else we can do without changing to 18" wheels. For now it looks like a change to 235/65-17 may be the only hope for a good tire.
Y'all with 16's might try a Yokohama Avid V4s in a 235/60-16. I just put a set of these on my Crown Vic PI and they are FANTASTIC! V speed rated and a 560 treadwear with "AA" traction and a "A" temperature rating. These are not truck tires like the Duelers, but the CVPI weighs 4100 lbs, so you still have plenty of load capacity. My .02
DH

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to David Harleyson's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help David Harleyson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-10-2005, 12:48 AM   #14
burlyvue2
burlyvue2 has a spectacular aura aboutburlyvue2 has a spectacular aura aboutburlyvue2 has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 3.5L
2000 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

In the rain in SoCal I drive the speed of traffic unless it's through Camp Pendleton where some folks just fly 80+ regardless of the weather. Then I am 65 as a maximum. The big thing for me is not tailgating. You have to leave more room as road friction/ adhesion is reduced even if reaction time is the same. There is no way I am gonna crash into anybody by driving to close and losing control in a quick stop situation. BTW my Vue 2003 V6 FWD.

New Pirelli Scorpions have made a huge difference in the wet. WAY better than the Duelers although they were kinda pricey. The Stillen rotors and brake pads also contribute to better performance. I recommend these upgrades.

Hopefully the sun will come back soon and we can get back to polishing the Vues instead of splish splashing through the rain! LOL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to burlyvue2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help burlyvue2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-10-2005, 02:38 AM   #15
robert_vue
Advanced Member

2005 VUE 2.2L

Yes, my neighborhood! I have driven in the snow too on Sunrise highway, on my 2003 VUE when it was new. I was very impressed with the handling, but it seems those duellers are no good with a little bit of wear. Be careful when you get to 35k miles on those duellers!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bswarm
80+ MPH on the 215/70R16 Duelers on a wet I-8 to Mt Laguna, Then drove in the snow on Sunrise Highway without chains. (Your neighborhood robert_vue!)
They are decent OE tires but I'm going to upgrade to 235/70R16 Dueler H/L when I need to. I've got some H/L's on another vehicle and like them a lot.

Front wheel drive, 5 speed, no traction control, no ABS, 10,000 miles.

Robert R.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-10-2005, 02:41 AM   #16
robert_vue
Advanced Member

2005 VUE 2.2L

Honestly, after my accident, I'm too scared. I drive about 50 when it's raining, on the freeway. I'm still bummed, I wasn't doing anything wrong that I know of when my accident happened, meaning it could happen at anytime again to me. It had been raining for several days, so I figured 60 wasn't a bad speed to be going, and the concrete freeway was grooved (parallel to the direction of travel).

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnout
I hope you didn't damage your new VUE!

(We have identical cars )

Robert R.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-10-2005, 11:35 PM   #17
CaliLime
CaliLime is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line

Too fast....
Yesterday I was going 90MPH in the rain with my 04 Vue RedLine. Yes it does have a lower stance and low profile/speed rated OEM tires. And yes it did handle itself quite well. And no I haven't replaced the RDM (if it's not broke why fix it). Which explains how well it handled. But, I probably should avoid driving my RL at that speed in the future under those conditions. Currently it's raining and I'm about to go home for the night, I wonder if I'll be able to follow my own advice? Good thing my RL has that annoying 100MPH speed limiter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CaliLime's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CaliLime reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-11-2005, 12:57 AM   #18
VUEnumber1
Advanced Member
VUEnumber1 will become famous soon enough

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliLime
...But, I probably should avoid driving my RL at that speed in the future under those conditions...
You should avoid driving that fast in almost ALL conditions!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VUEnumber1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VUEnumber1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-12-2005, 12:14 AM   #19
Dante
Master Member
Dante is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by VUEnumber1
You should avoid driving that fast in almost ALL conditions!
LOL key word being *almost*. I can attest, the RL tires stick like mad, even in the rain. There are reports of small dogs and children being thrown from the windows of REDLINE Vues during fast cornering maneuvers (not to be confused with the J-hook maneuver ). Any tire will hydroplane given the right conditions, but I'm pretty pleased with the Turanzas. I'm sure DJ (OhioVueBoy) would agree that the Duelers are "crap" and hydroplane far too easily. If you check out the owner reviews on www.tirerack.com, and compare them to other tires of the same size, you will see that they are by no means above average.

As a rule, in light rain, I drive 5 to 10 MPH less than I would if it were dry and clear (in other words, the posted limit or less). If it just started raining (oil slick roads) or raining heavily, I have been known to drive 5 to 10 (or way more) UNDER the speed limit. The condition of the road and your tires is the largest deciding factor. If you have never hydroplaned your Vue, I suggest finding an empty parking lot and hitting some puddles at high speed while turning. Have fun spinning out! Congrats if you can control it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dante's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dante reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread