SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > How-To Library
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 05:04 PM   #1
swilroy
swilroy is on a distinguished road

Wrench Changing ATF Fluid

I have a 2000 Lw2 V6 3.0L automatic transmission. I was told by my local saturn dealership that the fluid and filter is changed every 50,000 if you have the Saturn car care package. So, my was changed at 50K and then I decied to change it myself at 80K. It's better to change the ATF every 30K..
Go shopping -
Get a very large pan disposible 2 feet by 2 feet, 2 3qaurt Dex 3 transmission fluid, clean rags, a long funnel, stop at your local saturn and pick up a new ATF filter ($22)., wrench w/ 8mm
Make sure the car is warm then Put the car on a lift then move the pan under the AT pan with has 11 8mm bolts around it. Going from side to side lossen the bolts a little at a time. ATF will start comming out, let is drain into the pan. Keep loosing slowly while the fluid is draining..
Finally take all the bolts off and remove the pan with the gasget. Then remove the plastic filter by pulling straight down and drain into the pan.
Pull out the old washer where the old filter connected to.
Clean the pan from the car , get all the black off and clean the gasget. Line up the gasget ontop of the pan and set aside. Next install the new washer that comes with the new filter then install the new filter. Next line up the pan with the gasget and start hand tightening the bolts around the pan.MAKE sure the gasget is set correctly. Finally tighten the rest of the way with your wrench but do not over tighten and slowly tighten while you go around the pan.
Open the hood and find the red knob that says transmission fluid. Remove it and insert your funnel and start slowly pooring your Dex 3 ATF 6 quarts. I add a can of BG ATF to protect my transmission, but you don't have to. Start the car and take it around the block and park somewhere flat over a couple of hours and see if anything is leaking.. Good luck and you just saved $200.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to swilroy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help swilroy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2004, 09:23 AM   #2
Saturn-Eh!
Saturn-Eh! is on a distinguished road

It would be a good idea to check the fluid level with the check plug on the end of the transmission tailstock as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn-Eh!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn-Eh! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread