SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2019, 05:12 PM   #1
changeling616
changeling616 is on a distinguished road

Default new problem coolant 2001 SC2 Coupe

I was out driving today and noticed the low coolant light came on. First, I thought because I replaced the radiator recently, maybe a connection got a little loose.

While driving home, a bunch of steam was coming from under the hood. I was worried - did not want to run out of coolant so much that the car might overheat and I would not make it back.

The temp gauge went up a ways, but a very good distance from the dangerous temperature.

When I got back, I opened the hood.

Coolant seems to be pouring out of a hole in the engine... where maybe a bolt used to be? I don't know engines and coolant systems - will include a photo with a circle around the "hole" I am referring to - the oil dipstick thing is pointing almost right to it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to changeling616's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help changeling616 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
changeling616 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2019, 07:22 PM   #2
trottida
Master Member
trottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud of

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1
Default Re: new problem coolant 2001 SC2 Coupe

That is the bolt hole for the optional block heater. It should not have a bolt in it unless you have a block heater.

1999 SL2 MT (287,130 km @ 10/2019)
2012 Ford Focus SEL HB MT
2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
2001 SL1 MT (438,500 km 11y)
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 08:59 PM   #3
changeling616

Quote:
Originally Posted by trottida View Post
That is the bolt hole for the optional block heater. It should not have a bolt in it unless you have a block heater.
I thought it was coming out there, but not sure.

I will probably add more coolant and let it run and try to observe where it really is coming.

Don't like this new headache problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help changeling616 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-15-2019, 10:46 PM   #4
changeling616

Quote:
Originally Posted by changeling616 View Post
I thought it was coming out there, but not sure.

I will probably add more coolant and let it run and try to observe where it really is coming.

Don't like this new headache problem.
Maybe not "new" after all.

Just moments ago, I put more coolant in, started the engine, and waited for it to get warm enough to pump stuff through the radiator.

The leak is NOT on engine block. The new radiator is leaking. Probably looked like engine block was leaking because the fan starts running and throws coolant on engine.

I now wish I never tried to replace the radiator on my own. I got frustrated so many times that I may have not been very gentle with the new radiator.

Now it's cold out, and I have no indoor place to work on it, so even if I did want to do it, I have no good place do it.

This is frustrating.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-15-2019, 10:56 PM   #5
changeling616

Quote:
Maybe not "new" after all.

Just moments ago, I put more coolant in, started the engine, and waited for it to get warm enough to pump stuff through the radiator.

The leak is NOT on engine block. The new radiator is leaking. Probably looked like engine block was leaking because the fan starts running and throws coolant on engine.

I now wish I never tried to replace the radiator on my own. I got frustrated so many times that I may have not been very gentle with the new radiator.

Now it's cold out, and I have no indoor place to work on it, so even if I did want to do it, I have no good place do it.

This is frustrating.
I used the word "patient", but I had extreme difficulty getting all radiator, A/C condenser, etc., all in that location. It's a very tight fit, and things got banged around in the process.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-16-2019, 09:51 AM   #6
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really nice

1995 SC2

Pull the AC condenser and compressor off the engine. It makes things a lot easier to work on, under the hood. Unless you absolutely need the AC system, to me they are not worth the hassle.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 10:28 AM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Where's the actual leak? Any friends with a garage to work in after you determine what's wrong and have a plan on repairs to minimize time in a garage?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 02:57 AM   #8
TomM96
TomM96 will become famous soon enoughTomM96 will become famous soon enough

The vehicle may need a second 'new' radiator.

It is pretty normal to create about as many problems as one solves, for the first year (or few!) of DIY maintenance, absent some technical training, and a decent shop... not to mention a spare vehicle and a loose schedule.... It is also advisable to reside in a location that features at least one 'FLAPS' (and, ideally an automotive machine shop & dealership) within convenient walking distance.

I had a neighbor who had been employed by Grumman Aircraft for 20+ years as a machinist (he so enjoyed machining that he had a nice Southbend lathe in his garage).
He bought cars New, and maintained them. He advised me (always acquiring well-used cars), that any vehicle, for which a full supply of replacement parts was not available, was 'JUNK' !

One useful technique/talent: figuring out how to proceed in a service task, without disassembling way too much, or too little, surrounding components.
Also/then, assessing the better/worse sequence of steps in the procedure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TomM96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TomM96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 03:37 AM   #9
mattwithcats
mattwithcats has a spectacular aura aboutmattwithcats has a spectacular aura aboutmattwithcats has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

Before you take the car apart again, drop two crushed Bar's Stop Leak tablets in the radiator.

They were supposedly put in at the factory....

https://barsleaks.com/product/radiat...k-tablets-hdc/

They also come as AC Delco product, 12378255
https://www.acdelco.com/auto-parts/v...seal-tabs.html

2002 Silver SL2, manual, 5th gear swap (.605), 80,000 miles, black badges,
205/60R15 "H" rated tires, 5mm spacers rear...
Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30, NAPA 41516...
NGK BKR6E-11 spark plugs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattwithcats's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattwithcats reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattwithcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 12:51 PM   #10
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
What's your location? We can park our cars outside on weekends so you can use the space. Unheated garage, but better than outside

I just have to convince my wife that you aren't an internet weirdo who will murder us - I'll tell her that Saturn people are nice

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 141k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 06:48 PM   #11
hholbein
hholbein will become famous soon enoughhholbein will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2

Do you remember the brand of radiator you put in? Some folks here have found that some replacements were really crappy and failed in short order.

It's harder and harder to find quality replacement parts for our cars -- although Denso I think makes a radiator for our models now....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hholbein's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hholbein reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hholbein is offline   Reply With Quote