SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2019, 01:39 PM   #1
Ccrussell
Ccrussell has a spectacular aura aboutCcrussell has a spectacular aura aboutCcrussell has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL1
Default New SC2

Hello
I am in the process of buying a 99 SC2
Posted in the general section last week to see what you folks thought.
Car has 147 on clock, interior is perfect, paint and body a 10 out of 10.
Transmission will not shift out of first gear , reverse is lazy to get there but eventually will go into gear.
I am thinking year an EBay valve body , fluid change and filter may get me back in service. Will try that first. Here is a curve ball though, what if I were to do a manual swap? This will require a pcm swap also correct?
What happens to the antilock setup? Can it be deleted and replaced with a standard booster and m/cyl?
Guessing a wrecked donor car would yield all the required parts.
Thoughts/advice?
Thanks Russ

Last edited by Ccrussell; 11-08-2019 at 01:41 PM.. Reason: Grammar

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ccrussell's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ccrussell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ccrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2019, 01:53 PM   #2
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2
Default Re: New SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccrussell View Post
Here is a curve ball though, what if I were to do a manual swap? This will require a pcm swap also correct?
Maybe

The auto PCM will run the engine very well. It will not disable cruise if you push in the clutch, though. And some folks have said that they can feel flat spots while driving (when the auto PCM would normally shift up a gear in an auto trans). You can also use an MP2 manual transmission (or just swap 5th gear) with the taller gears for extra MPG and still use cruise control (normally, with a manual trans, you lose cruise because a manual PCM detects wrong RPM for speed and thinks you hit the clutch)

It will however set constant transmission codes because there is not auto trans - wrong ratio code, etc.

here's an example, auto PCM with manual trans
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=162611
Quote:
What happens to the antilock setup? Can it be deleted and replaced with a standard booster and m/cyl?
If the car has ABS now and you are keeping the auto PCM, you can keep the ABS. If you get a PCM from a manual car, if the donor had ABS you can keep it, otherwise you have to convert.

Quote:
Guessing a wrecked donor car would yield all the required parts.
Thoughts/advice?
Thanks Russ
Yep, you will be spending some time at the JY

My thoughts are, I am jealous you got such a nice car for so cheap.

Rustproof your subframe right away. Ditto the other areas (Waiex191 mentioned a few spots in your other thread)

Good luck, sounds like fun.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

Last edited by alordofchaos; 11-08-2019 at 02:07 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 02:02 PM   #3
trottida
Master Member
trottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud of

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

To do it right you would need the PCM and it would need to be from a similarly equipped donor as per your cars options minus automatic transmission of coarse. They say you can use the automatic and it works but if I recall there is some funkyness.

ABS delete is doable but the master cylinder is different and the brake lines are different. Your donor PCM should be minus ABS or you'll get an ABS light. I wouldn't go through the effort.

When I converted my 99 SL2 from auto to manual I used the PCM and the complete engine harness (from the PCM to the UHJB to the engine/trans) The auto trans engine harness has some extra connectors. They can be dealt with but having the manual harness is cleaner. The only thing missing is the connector for the clutch safety switch. You would have to splice that in or go without. I did the later which means the car will start in gear without depressing the clutch.

1999 SL2 MT (287,130 km @ 10/2019)
2012 Ford Focus SEL HB MT
2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
2001 SL1 MT (438,500 km 11y)
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:

Last edited by trottida; 11-08-2019 at 02:12 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 02:06 PM   #4
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

If you fix your auto problems with a 5 speed, buy the PCM along with the transmission. Plus the pedals, shifter, cables, and all that. Congrats!

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 02:57 PM   #5
Ccrussell
Ccrussell has a spectacular aura aboutCcrussell has a spectacular aura aboutCcrussell has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL1

Cool, this should be doable. Hope to have the car
and parts in the driveway asap.
Thanks for all the input. This will be my next reliable commuter i hope
My problem is I don't want to give any of them up.
Always on the lookout for my next great Saturn!
Russ

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Ccrussell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-08-2019, 03:26 PM   #6
billr
Master Member
billr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to all

Worst case on the PCM is $150, that will get you a "rebuilt" one programmed for any stock config that you need. You don't even need to send the core back.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 03:59 PM   #7
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr View Post
Worst case on the PCM is $150, that will get you a "rebuilt" one programmed for any stock config that you need. You don't even need to send the core back.
For $150, I'd be tempted to try one of the Tech II clones and DIY - seep post 49

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...to#post2277918

Just remembered a couple other bits if you are keeping the auto PCM:
  • you don't get an upshift reminder light
  • no rev limiter (speed limiter is still there). Some of the endure/dirt track racers use the auto PCM for this purpose (getting rid of the rev limiter)

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 08:23 AM   #8
Ccrussell

1999 SL1

Hello,
Well I got the new ride back to my house. Nice car great shape, passes the wife approval test. After a thouhrough waxing, it will await it's turn into the garage. Im thinking the input shaft has backed off. The previous owner changed the vb with the sonnax reman unit and a new
VSS. That repair lasted two years.
Trying to locate a manual trans and all the additional equipment that would require. Will hopefully just get the automatic working for now.
Will post pictures ASAP.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-18-2019, 06:32 PM   #9
billr
Master Member
billr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to all

Can you find out who the vendor of the VB is? Some (most?) will say it has "Sonnax upgrade" when it only has one of the two upgrades required to ensure success. I think the VB is still a distinct possibility for part of your problems, at least.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:43 AM   #10
Ccrussell

1999 SL1

Hello,
I guess this trans is getting opened up. I will look at the valve body when I get there, see if I can verify the rebuilder.
Can you recommend a known reputable vendor?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-20-2019, 10:57 AM   #11
Mark_b
Mark_b is a jewel in the roughMark_b is a jewel in the roughMark_b is a jewel in the rough

1996 SC2
1999 SC2

These guys are very good for the VB
https://www.centralvalvebodies.com/home.html

If you need to tighten the input nut.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...28123&_sacat=0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mark_b's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mark_b reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mark_b is offline   Reply With Quote