SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2019, 10:04 PM   #1
serenitythen
serenitythen has a spectacular aura aboutserenitythen has a spectacular aura aboutserenitythen has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
Default Slow coolant leak turned major!

I'm writing this from the side of the freeway. I'm letting my 97 Saturn SL2 with 210,000 miles cool down and traffic to lighten up before attempting to add more coolant/water and drive the last 8 miles home.

I've been slowly losing coolant for a few years. It's wet on the engine block near the upper coolant hose, ects, and the transmission underneath. I've added coolant every few months. I figured it's a outer head gasket leak.
The ects is brass and the upper radiator hose is fairly new.

Well tonight the leak got a lot bigger! Now I noticed coolant on the bottom the battery tray too. The bottom side of the upper radiator feels dry so coolant isn't riding down the hose into the battery from that.
Will a leaky head gasket spray or piss some distance??

Any other things to look at? Is there a coolant hose that runs in that area that feeds thru the throttle body?

Now, I can top off the coolant reservoir, drive only 4 miles and the coolant light is already flashing on my dash. That's how fast it's losing coolant. I can't see where it's leaking, pissing, spraying from??

Any tips on what to look for appreciated

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to serenitythen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help serenitythen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
serenitythen is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2019, 10:25 PM   #2
billr
Master Member
billr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to all

Default Re: Slow coolant leak turned major!

It has been hours now since your post, I hope you are off the road by now.

Yes, fluids under pressure can spray all over, in unpredictable patterns.

Did you loosen/remove the reservoir cap to minimize pressure building in the coolant system?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 10:43 PM   #3
Zeebins
Advanced Member
Zeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to behold

1997 SL2
Default Re: Slow coolant leak turned major!

Has the radiator ever been replaced?

97 SL2, auto, 116K miles