SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2012, 09:18 PM   #21
IB Stylin
IB Stylin is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE
Default Re: Ignition switch problems

Just bought my Astra last Saturday and am trying not to dispair...I actually have to jiggle the steering wheel and turn key at the same time. My old Honda CRV had this kind of thing, too, but it wasn't as extreme as this!
Now I have to go back to the dealer and have them show me how to open the hood. I'm not stupid - I can follow an owner's manual as well as anyone, but in thirty years of owning cars, this is the one that's got me completely baffled. Good thing it's pretty...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to IB Stylin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help IB Stylin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
IB Stylin is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2012, 04:53 PM   #22
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! has a spectacular aura aboutAstra La Vista! has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB Stylin View Post
Now I have to go back to the dealer and have them show me how to open the hood. I'm not stupid - I can follow an owner's manual as well as anyone, but in thirty years of owning cars, this is the one that's got me completely baffled. Good thing it's pretty...
The hood release is located below the dash on the bottom of the driver's A-pillar. It a narrow vertical handle that hinges at the top and is unmarked. The safety release under the hood is located to the left of center (ie: closer to the driver's side) and is bolted to the hood itself. You pull up to release.

"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astra La Vista!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astra La Vista! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astra La Vista! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 06:04 PM   #23
TDA
TDA is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

Bumping up this old thread as I am experiencing this problem with mine too.

It is suggested that if your wheels are turned when you park it helps put pressure on the steering lock making it harder to turn the key and unlock the wheel.

Well, when I park at home, my wheels are perfectly straight due to how I park and how my space is. And, it still happens. It seems to happen randomly no matter how I have my wheels turned. And it really sucks.

The whole turning or jiggling of the wheel does seem to work but does not seem 100% consistent either. There is a noticeable click/release when it does turn that is not present when things work normally.

If anyone has found an actual cause/solution it would be appreciated.
Trying to decide if I want to try replacing my lock cylinder to see if that makes a difference.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TDA's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TDA reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:20 AM   #24
maschinenbauer
maschinenbauer will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Mine has never not let me start the car, but I have noticed it is harder to unlock than most cars.

Has anyone else with a manual noticed that the neutral safety switch often just doesn't work? I can normally get in my car, put the shifter in neutral, and start the car without the clutch. Normally in the US, you have to press the clutch to start a manual car. And sometimes it does require me to use the clutch to start, but there is no rhyme or reason to it. Just another quirk I've noticed.

'08 Astra XE 5-speed
'72 Chevrolet El Camino
'31 Ford Model A pickup

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to maschinenbauer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help maschinenbauer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
maschinenbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:20 PM   #25
nicolas_p
nicolas_p has a spectacular aura aboutnicolas_p has a spectacular aura about

2009 Astra XR
2008 Astra XE

TDA:
-Even if your wheels are straight you may be leaning on the steering wheel as you entering or exiting the car. The wheel locks as soon as the key is removed just nudging it is enough to make it lock the ignition up.

maschinenbauer:
- The astra always requires the clutch pedal to be depressed during start up, you could bypass this if you wanted to by taping the tiny button switch located behind the clutch pedal. That little switch may be worn out and not releasing properly letting you start the car without pressing in the clutch

09 Vauxhall Astra XR3/STD
18" Team Dynamic MonzaR rims
Eibach Sportline, Whiteline BHR75Z swaybar and EBC Rotors
CD30 Mp3, Insignia jets, vxR surround, sharkfin antenna, Spoiler, Tint

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nicolas_p's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nicolas_p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nicolas_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:29 AM   #26
maschinenbauer
maschinenbauer will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Sticky clutch switch sounds like a good explanation. I prefer starting without the clutch anyway, except for those mornings when I forget to take it out of gear and it lurches forward a bit

It's supposedly better for the thrust bearings in the engine, since the clutch puts an axial load on the crank when the engine is cold and less lubricated. Probably doesn't make much of a difference though.

'08 Astra XE 5-speed
'72 Chevrolet El Camino
'31 Ford Model A pickup

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to maschinenbauer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help maschinenbauer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
maschinenbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 02:21 PM   #27
emg77
Advanced Member
emg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by maschinenbauer View Post
Mine has never not let me start the car, but I have noticed it is harder to unlock than most cars.

Has anyone else with a manual noticed that the neutral safety switch often just doesn't work? I can normally get in my car, put the shifter in neutral, and start the car without the clutch. Normally in the US, you have to press the clutch to start a manual car. And sometimes it does require me to use the clutch to start, but there is no rhyme or reason to it. Just another quirk I've noticed.
My Neutral Safety Switch has started to have some issues. I bought a new one (they are about $15), but I can't figure out how to replace it, but while I was down there, I noticed I could just bend the bracket a bit back toward the driver and it worked again. That's done the trick for a while now, but occasionally, it now wants to be slightly less than fully depressed.

For those with the sticky key, I had that last year. I just keep some powered graphite in the car, and spray it in the ignition occasionally, and that seems to keep the tumbler's lubricated.

Drives: 2014 Volt, 2017 Acadia
Past Cars: 08 Astra, 15 Acadia, 12 Enclave, 09 Traverse, 05 Vue, 04 Grand Prix, 00 Alero, 97 LeSabre, 72 Cutlass S

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to emg77's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help emg77 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
emg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 10:46 PM   #28
velocast
velocast has a spectacular aura aboutvelocast has a spectacular aura aboutvelocast has a spectacular aura about

-If the barrel is not turning, may be due to faulty pins or damaged lock cylinder. So, inspect the barrel, and the ignition switch.

-If the barrel turns all the way and there is not starter response, the ignition switch may need to be replaced. Before doing that check battery and starter to see if they are working properly.

To replace my ignition switch it took me almost 4 hours working with peace on mind. Right after removing the steering wheel, the most scare thing a saw was the electronic module that houses the signal and wipers. It turn out so easy when the 3 screws are removed. Then entire electronic module will come out leaving the ignition switch at your mercy.

Done deal, now my Astra is running like always does: NEW

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to velocast's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help velocast reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
velocast is offline   Reply With Quote