SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2019, 11:48 PM   #1
dblynch90
dblynch90 is on a distinguished road

Default Change Gear Ratio

Hi Everyone,

I have a 99 SC2 Auto that i am using for 1/4mile short track racing. The 2nd gear ratio is not ideal for the size track i am running on. I know if i swap an SL1 manual transmission (MP3) into the car i will get the ratio i want, but i was wondering if anyone has messed around with the gears in the auto to get the better ratio without doing a full swap. Thanks in advance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dblynch90's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dblynch90 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dblynch90 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2019, 01:38 AM   #2
SlushWagon
SlushWagon is on a distinguished road

1994 SW2
Default Re: Change Gear Ratio

Sl1's had the mp2 just so you know. But anyway you could swap your current mp7 with a older unit like in my 94, it has a more aggressive final drive then yours or change overall wheel diameter to get closer to the range you want.
It would be best to swap over to the mp3 if you don't want to try and reinvent the wheel.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SlushWagon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SlushWagon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SlushWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:40 AM   #3
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

I have never seen where anyone has messed much with the autos, usually they just swap.

Below lists the various ratios for all of the transmissions, courtesy of Low Saturn.

http://www.differentracing.com/tech_...gearratio.html

Alordofchaos is worthy and hides in shadows only to hone his S Series knowledge ninja skills. Swift, silent, trustworthy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 01:42 PM   #4
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

You can't change the gear ratio in the automatics without putting a custom transmission controller on it as well. The stock PCM will freak out and at best only give you 1st gear.

You get around this limitation with a manual transmission because YOU become the "custom transmission controller."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 05:52 PM   #5
dblynch90
dblynch90 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
You can't change the gear ratio in the automatics without putting a custom transmission controller on it as well. The stock PCM will freak out and at best only give you 1st gear.

You get around this limitation with a manual transmission because YOU become the "custom transmission controller."
One question in regards to that - does it matter if i always have the car in second gear? The car doesn't really have to do any shifting as long as i can get it out of park and into 2nd. Either way i will still probably end up just doing a tranny swap, just has been hard to find a junk car with an MP2 or MP3.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dblynch90's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dblynch90 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dblynch90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 09:26 PM   #6
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really nice

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblynch90 View Post
One question in regards to that - does it matter if i always have the car in second gear? The car doesn't really have to do any shifting as long as i can get it out of park and into 2nd. Either way i will still probably end up just doing a tranny swap, just has been hard to find a junk car with an MP2 or MP3.
Are you looking to make this car run the -mile WITHOUT shifting? DOHCs sacrifice their low-rpm torque pretty well, with the stock camshafts. Peak torque doesn't occur until 4,800rpm and peak HP on 1999-2002 DOHCs occurs at 5,600rpm.

The issue isn't necessarily just second gear, but the gear ratios between each gear, which affects how many rpms drop when the shift occurs.

The MP3 manual swap is actually the best performance choice, as the gears are shorter and way more aggressive in both 1st & 2nd gear. At WOT, when shifting from 6,000rpms, these gears will put you right around where your peak torque occurs at 4,800rpms.

Regardless of automatic or manual, swapping any of the gears, individually(except 5th gear on the MP2/MP3 manuals), requires the transmission to be tore apart and rebuilt. Many of the internal parts(namely the input shaft nut, which is torque-to-yield), are discontinued by GM.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:57 AM   #7
AlexofNazareth
Master Member
AlexofNazareth will become famous soon enough

2002 SL1
2006 VUE Red Line

He's talking about circle track racing you dunce.

dblynch, how fast are you expecting to go on the straights?

'02 SL1 [w/ a snail-shaped muffler]
'06 Vue RL
Saturn Night is Special ED.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AlexofNazareth's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AlexofNazareth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AlexofNazareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 09:40 AM   #8
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really nice

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexofNazareth View Post
He's talking about circle track racing you dunce.

dblynch, how fast are you expecting to go on the straights?
I love the maturity of your signature, just like the rest of the 6th Sphere crowd.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 01:34 AM   #9
Larry O
Larry O is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblynch90 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I have a 99 SC2 Auto that i am using for 1/4mile short track racing. The 2nd gear ratio is not ideal for the size track i am running on. I know if i swap an SL1 manual transmission (MP3) into the car i will get the ratio i want, but i was wondering if anyone has messed around with the gears in the auto to get the better ratio without doing a full swap. Thanks in advance.
Do yourself a favor and just go with the mp3.
I have been racing saturns for a few years now with s good bit of success. My wife finished 2nd in pts last year still learning how to drive. I got 4 feature wins in only 8 tries last year against ecotec cavis and a few hondas.
1st gear for moving around the pits. All starts and restarts I use 2nd gear,wind her out just short of the flagstand,then shift to 3rd and stay there until a caution comes or I need to stop.
Never been passed on a start yet.
Biggest problem Ive had lately is some lf wheel spin getting off the corner.
Going to try a locked(welded from a trans shop) this year.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Larry O's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Larry O reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Larry O is offline   Reply With Quote