SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-26-2016, 10:50 AM   #1
blentz
blentz is a jewel in the roughblentz is a jewel in the roughblentz is a jewel in the rough

Default can't rid myself of P0401

I have a 2001 SC2 with 187k miles on it. Recently I've been having issues with a recurring P0401 code for insufficient EGR flow. So far, I've tried:

- Removing the EGR valve and running the car, the idle went up to 3.5KRPM and was very loud, seemingly both passages are clear
- I've run compressed air through the EGR to intake port with the throttle body removed, flow seemed good to me, it doesn't appear this passage is blocked at all
- I've tried snaking a wire through both ports without much luck, I read somewhere online about a GM service procedure with a speedometer cable attached to a drill to help remove any build up
- The EGR valve has been replaced; it's a Delphi EG10176 that I got from Amazon for about $70. I believe it's the same as the OEM one I removed
- I have removed the MAP sensor and made sure it and it's port was not full of crud

Each time I clear the code, it comes back after a half dozen drive cycles. I have no driveability or noticeable gas mileage issues. No hesitation or stumbling. No other DTCs are set, only P0401.

I live in New Hampshire and we have yearly OBD smog testing. If I cannot get this resolved I fear it will impact the roadworthiness of the car. It's ridiculous to think I would have to take the car off the road because I can't get MAP sensor to read the correct change in intake pressure.

Should I try putting a new MAP sensor in it? The consensus on here seems to be that the MAP sensors seem to never go bad in these cars. Should I try a third EGR valve assuming the replacement I got is defective (but isn't setting any of the codes for the EGR position sensor?)

I can't think of any other diagnostic procedures to perform and I'm at the point where I'm considering to continue to throw parts at the car and hope something sticks.

I appreciate any and all suggestions you folks can provide.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blentz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blentz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blentz is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links