SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2013, 01:10 PM   #1
HV Fam Wagon
HV Fam Wagon is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
2004 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default P0300 and rough idle

Last month the heater hose leaked and sprayed all around. I replaced the hose. The wagon runs fine afterwards.
A few days ago, I hose everywhere under the hood to wash off the antifreeze. Yesterday, when I drove the car, it idles at around 500 rpm; backing out was very rough. At higher speed, 40 mph or above, it seems OK.
When I drove back home, the "Service Engine Soon" light comes on and stays on. It seems it would die stopping in front of traffic light.
I looked at the air filter this morning, it's a little wet. Nothing else is out of the ordinary. Hope I didn't break anything.
This is LW2 year 2000 wagon with 160K miles.
Any help, suggestion, advice is welcomed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HV Fam Wagon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HV Fam Wagon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
HV Fam Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2013, 01:51 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: P0300 and rough idle

If you suspect water causing this then the easiest initial remedy might be using either low pressure air or the blower exhaust from your large vacuum cleaner, if you have one. Low air pressure can blow out water remaining in all the collection areas that doesn't need high pressure air to blow dry things. It may also be coincidence that this rough idle occurred after engine washing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:24 PM   #3
Partymmudasti
Advanced Member
Partymmudasti is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

Sounds like you contaminated the Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF) with h2o. Heed fdryers advice and blow it out with some air. MAF's arent cheap ($50-$100 IIRC).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Partymmudasti's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Partymmudasti reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Partymmudasti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:50 AM   #4
HV Fam Wagon

2000 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
2004 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Thanks.
I don't have a air gun. I'll try it with a hair dryer tomorrow. Thanks fdryer, Partymmudasti.
I think I read it somewhere splashing water under the hood won't hurt anything. I guess some parts, like sensors, may be damaged.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help HV Fam Wagon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-17-2013, 08:12 AM   #5
midway
midway is a jewel in the roughmidway is a jewel in the roughmidway is a jewel in the rough

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I can say that washing the engine area down can cause strange things to happen, the last time I washed mine after repairs, I made a short drive to check things out and it did all kinds of stupid stuff. Let it set for awhile and all was good, engine heat dried it all out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to midway's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help midway reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
midway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:38 AM   #6
HV Fam Wagon

2000 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
2004 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Yea. That's what the Autozone guy said yesterday. It seems I have to take off the plenum and dry the banks of ignition coils. I don't know how true it is. I'll post the result when I find out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-01-2013, 11:43 PM   #7
HV Fam Wagon

2000 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
2004 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Last month, I opened up the intake manifold and removed the ignition packs over the spark plugs. The #5 and #6 spark plug well had water in them. Dry them up; spray them with CRC "Wire Dryer", and cleaned the MAF sensor with CRC "Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner". The wagon ran much better. But it is running rough at idle, in reverse, and when accelerating from stop.
I don't know whether to change the plugs or change the ignition coil packs; these are expansive. The plugs has been there for 65K miles.
Anyone has any thoughts? ideas? suggestions?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-02-2013, 12:21 AM   #8
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

With absolutely no SES indicator at anytime to scan for error codes, this may require advanced troubleshooting using a reader with freeze frame capability. At the least, a reader to monitor live sensors. I'm interested in the maf sensor output at idle (baseline) and while accelerating. This will require two people as the passenger will have to read and record observations while you drive or vice versa. If you can, record and post idle rpm data.

Replacing parts like the ignition coil pack or maf sensor without any clear indication by way of error codes is just throwing parts at the car. A reader with live sensor display is needed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-02-2013, 09:58 PM   #9
HV Fam Wagon

2000 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
2004 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Thanks fdryer.
No Code, no light on the dashboard.
I don't have freeze frame reader. Is there any other way of diagnosing? Or any way to test the ignition coil pack? The spring inside the ignition coil is rusty though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-02-2013, 11:55 PM   #10
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I noticed you have two L300's......................this makes it possible to swap ignition coil packs if you feel like wrenching a little. As far as the coil springs being corroded, either order replacements or wire brush corrosion off and coat with dielectric grease, regular grease or oil. Since these springs are basically transferring high voltage from the coil pack to the spark plug, they should be fine with some wire brushing. I'm guessing some coolant or water dribbled down and soaked them. Heat boils water into steam and mixed with air can create help oxidation and accelerate corrosion. Dielectric grease prevents corrosion. You can swap them around too, from car to car.

Our ignition coil packs don't lend themselves to spark testing unless you're willing to have a pack laid out and connected to wiring, plugs connected and bases grounded to the engine block, and have someone turn the engine over as you watch for spark jumping each plug gap.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-03-2013, 08:04 AM   #11
HV Fam Wagon

2000 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
2004 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Thanks fdryer. It makes a lot of sense; and inexpensive. I'll try that when I have a chance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!