SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2011, 06:20 PM   #1
GmG
Advanced Member
GmG is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
1992 SC
Default stripped and broken bolts on rear brakes, what now?

Trying to get the caliper bracket off, I stripped both bolt heads, as well as snapped off one caliper pin in the bracket. How do I get the hub off (I'm guessing it's the hub, right?) to get these bolts out? Is it straightforward disassembly of what I see, or is there something more to it? If all else fails, am I better off drilling these out, or just buying a used/new hub?

George
92 SCm 138k
98 SC2m 131k

"You shouldn't leave things in the fridge. That is the lesson."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GmG's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GmG reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GmG is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2011, 08:02 PM   #2
ShawnV
Master Member
ShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the rough

2000 SW2
Default Re: stripped and broken bolts on rear brakes, what now?

I would suggest obtaining a bolt-out kit:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web..._T|GRP2016____

http://www.harborfreight.com/9-piece...ets-67894.html

Once you get the bolts out you should be able to get the pin out. I think you're referring to the rotor when you say hub. You'll should be able to get a new pin at the auto parts store.

What socket were you using to remove the bolts? I recommend only 6 point sockets when working on your saturn. Also, I like craftsman or better quality. HF and auto parts store sockets have thicker walls, don't fit as well, and break.

shawn

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ShawnV's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ShawnV reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ShawnV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:25 PM   #3
GmG
Advanced Member

1998 SC2
1992 SC

Thanks for the reply. I didn't have a craftsman 10mm so I used one from the parts store, which split and rounded the bolt head. The part that I'm talking about is what the caliper bracket bolts to, and also is attached to the strut, sway bar, etc.

Edit: I've always had problems getting access to that upper caliper bolt. It usually involves a combination of extensions and adapters to get around the bottom of the strut, which I can't imagine helps things in the not-rounding-off-bolts department. Does anyone have a hot tip for that? Could I grind off the extra material?

George
92 SCm 138k
98 SC2m 131k

Last edited by GmG; 08-16-2011 at 08:38 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GmG's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GmG reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-16-2011, 09:15 PM   #4
GmG
Advanced Member

1998 SC2
1992 SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmG View Post
Edit: I've always had problems getting access to that upper caliper bolt. It usually involves a combination of extensions and adapters to get around the bottom of the strut, which I can't imagine helps things in the not-rounding-off-bolts department. Does anyone have a hot tip for that? Could I grind off the extra material?
I meant to say upper caliper bracket bolt, too late to edit again.

George
92 SCm 138k
98 SC2m 131k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GmG's Reputation
Old 08-16-2011, 09:31 PM   #5
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Caliper pins slide in the bracket, the bracket's bolted to the rear knuckle (or whatever the rear wheel equivalent is called).
It might be easier to get the broken bolts out with that removed, but the long bolt through the lateral links & the knuckle has never come out as straight as it should be for me.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:02 AM   #6
ShawnV
Master Member
ShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the rough

2000 SW2

I'm not as familiar with the rear discs, but what about a 6 point combination wrench? I use an 18mm combination wrench and a 2 or 3 lb BFH to loosen the caliper bolts on the front brakes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ShawnV's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ShawnV reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ShawnV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 12:18 PM   #7
johnny95sl2
johnny95sl2 will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2
1995 SC2

Torch, heat till red hot and remove. They locite those at the factory.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to johnny95sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help johnny95sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
johnny95sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:30 PM   #8
GmG
Advanced Member

1998 SC2
1992 SC

Thanks for the replies! The Irwin bolt out, with some heat and a 2' cheater pipe worked like a charm, but it didn't give up easy. I was still using the cheater until it was about halfway out. Does anyone have a preferred way to get the bolt out of the caliper bracket by the strut mount? Now I just have to get the seized pin drilled out of the bracket and get some replacement bracket bolts. Maybe it's a longshot, but I might as well soak it with blaster overnight to see if there is any way it will come out. They get $35 for a rear bracket around here, so I'm hoping to save the old one.

These were out a couple years ago, but that's what winter does steel around here The BFH was how I got one of the caliper pins free, but there isn't much you can do when you crack a socket and round off a bolt. I did look it up, and the thing the caliper bracket bolts to is called the 'knuckle,' even in the rear.

George
92 SCm 138k
98 SC2m 131k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GmG's Reputation
Old 08-17-2011, 11:19 PM   #9
mattwithcats
mattwithcats has a spectacular aura aboutmattwithcats has a spectacular aura aboutmattwithcats has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

Remember when using an easy out (bolt remover drill bit) that its a reverse twist, so put your drill in reverse.
Also use flare nut wrenches on the tough bolts, less chance of stripping.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattwithcats's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattwithcats reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattwithcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 07:00 PM   #10
GmG
Advanced Member

1998 SC2
1992 SC

Well, the easy out failed, so I ended up with a new caliper bracket for 35 bucks. At least the caliper was ok. I had tried a flare wrench on it, but was afraid it was starting to strip. The socket definitely seemed tighter. When I do the other side, I'm just going to use heat right off the bat, so I hopefully don't have to replace all 4 fasteners.

George
92 SCm 138k
98 SC2m 131k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GmG's Reputation
Old 08-21-2011, 01:53 PM   #11
TomM96
TomM96 will become famous soon enoughTomM96 will become famous soon enough

Heat ,"off the bat" will soften the loktite (initially) and soften the steel too (if you continue to 'red' heat).

Suggest use some more loktite when installing (or just put silicone RTV on the threads) ... if roadsalt causes corrosion issues.

"Impact" rated sockets with 6 points pretty much never fail. If you have a local tool jobber the sockets usually cost $8-12 ... and last forever.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TomM96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TomM96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote