SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2010, 11:34 AM   #1
Astra08
Astra08 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Brake questions..

Just wondering if anyone can recommend a good set of ceramic pads...the dust from mine is driving me nuts. Also, curious about aftermarket rotors and what kind of luck people have had with them. Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astra08's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astra08 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astra08 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2010, 11:41 AM   #2
Nightwalker
Nightwalker is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2005 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: Brake questions..

I too would be interested in this. I've been wanting to look into new pads and rotors for a while now. Although I don't know how broad the choices will be.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nightwalker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nightwalker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:16 PM   #3
Lunchbox1984
Lunchbox1984 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

better put me down on that as well.

Bertha [2008 F250 S.D.] 4dr|6.4ltr Diesel 350HP|4x2|6ft bed.
RED [2008 Sat. Astra XR] 2dr|1.8ltr Ecotec 140hp (will be missed)
Oggly [1984 Isuzu Trooper II] 2dr|2.0Ltr G200 89HP|White|4sp manual

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Lunchbox1984's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Lunchbox1984 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Lunchbox1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:21 AM   #4
MGGDTW
MGGDTW is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I seem to only get mad dust from my rear brake pads and not the front. Are they different pads?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MGGDTW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MGGDTW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MGGDTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:10 PM   #5
vegetaarmy
vegetaarmy is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I was also thinking about new pads and rotors. I looked at www.saturnparts.com for f/r pads and rotors and was shocked at the price. They wanted $800 just for the rotors. There are f/r cross drilled and slotted rotors w/ pads on ebay for under $250. I may go this route.

-Jess

Astra XR 5dr (Traded for 2014.5 Focus ST)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vegetaarmy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vegetaarmy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vegetaarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:50 PM   #6
Astra08
Astra08 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGGDTW View Post
I seem to only get mad dust from my rear brake pads and not the front. Are they different pads?
Odd, that is the same issue for me...big difference too. Rockauto has several to choose from, the Bendix ones look good for $$, but they list front only?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astra08's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astra08 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astra08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:34 PM   #7
Nightwalker

2008 Astra XR
2005 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegetaarmy View Post
I was also thinking about new pads and rotors. I looked at www.saturnparts.com for f/r pads and rotors and was shocked at the price. They wanted $800 just for the rotors. There are f/r cross drilled and slotted rotors w/ pads on ebay for under $250. I may go this route.

-Jess
The US law says that a company has to supply replacement parts for a car for a minimum of 10 years after its release. Meaning GM has to supply parts until 2018.

But since GM is a douche bag, they decided to gouge prices for those wanting Astra parts. I mean come on, $600 for an alternator?!

My audio system thread, how to replace speakers: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137456

2008 Astra 3 door XR, 5-speed MT Black Sapphire, custom audio system

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Nightwalker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-06-2010, 08:06 PM   #8
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! has a spectacular aura aboutAstra La Vista! has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGGDTW View Post
I'm currently experiencing the same thing. Up until about 20,000 kms, I was getting reddish-brown dusting from both fronts and rears, but now it is only rears. I believe that this has to do with how the brake pads wear -- they produce higher amounts of dust in the beginning when new but produce less once they've been broken in. One reason why the rears are still dusting might be that the car's weight distribution is 65/35 when sitting still, and even more skewed when more weight shifts forward during braking, and the rears most likely aren't wearing as fast.

Or, the fronts are ceramic and the rears are metallic. No way of knowing for sure, since even a GM parts counter guy won't be able to tell from their database. FWIW, Raybestos lists the fronts as ceramic (PGD1361C) and the rears as metallic (PGD1362M). While I'm at it, front rotors are 980057, rears are 580665R, and a rear brake hardware kit is H18014A.

"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astra La Vista!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astra La Vista! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astra La Vista! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 12:57 AM   #9
vegetaarmy
vegetaarmy is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwalker View Post
The US law says that a company has to supply replacement parts for a car for a minimum of 10 years after its release. Meaning GM has to supply parts until 2018.

But since GM is a douche bag, they decided to gouge prices for those wanting Astra parts. I mean come on, $600 for an alternator?!
And their excuse for the high price would be "we have to charge this much, all the parts come from Europe ..." If it comes down to it, I can get a lot of parts off of ebay or Rockauto.com. I only have 1,000 miles till the bumper to bumper warranty expires. So far no problems, hopefully none in the next few years.

-Jess

Astra XR 5dr (Traded for 2014.5 Focus ST)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vegetaarmy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vegetaarmy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vegetaarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:50 AM   #10
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! has a spectacular aura aboutAstra La Vista! has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

$600 for an OEM alternator wouldn't be out of the question. Why do you think the aftermarket industry exists? GM always knew that these parts would have to be shipped in from Europe, so the costs would have been set w-a-y back in 2008, not suddenly increased because Saturn no longer exists today.

The frustrating part will be the delay in ordering such parts. Because OEM parts have to travel through the GM infrastructure -- populated by GM unions -- parts cannot be Fed-Ex'd overnight to get them faster. They have to go through the normal supply route.

"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astra La Vista!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astra La Vista! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astra La Vista! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:51 AM   #11
Nightwalker

2008 Astra XR
2005 ION-2 Sedan

I'm hoping to find a source for Opel Astra-h aftermarket parts. Hopefully stuff will be cheaper that way.
As a matter of fact, most parts that I've ordered from my dealership have come in labeled "Opel Astra H".

REWARD EXCELLENCE!