SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2010, 06:20 PM   #1
sbr65nj
sbr65nj is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
1997 SL2
Default Engine mount bolts snapped much oil!!

Well same story that I have read in other posts. My 2000 SL2 has the two bolts that attach to the engine snapped clean off. There is alot of oil in that part of the engine as well. I noticed that some recommend a left handed cobalt drill set i just ordered a set and lets see if that assists the removal. I am ordering a new OEM mount (top and mounts by the front strut ) and studs. Lets see what happens..

The oil is pooled near the top of the engine. Where would be my first place to check where the oil is coming from? It sort of looks like the valve cover cover gasket area, but it is hard to tell.. Any advice? please help!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sbr65nj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sbr65nj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sbr65nj is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2010, 06:48 PM   #2
sbr65nj

2000 SL2
1997 SL2
Default Re: Engine mount bolts snapped much oil!!

Here are some pics of the affected area. If you will notice bolts (studs) are snapped clean off!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00071-20100720-1840.jpg (164.1 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00072-20100720-1841.jpg (124.4 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00073-20100720-1841.jpg (103.8 KB, 97 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help sbr65nj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-20-2010, 07:38 PM   #3
caveeagle
caveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of light

2005 VUE 2.2L
2001 SC2

I only see one bolt (stud) missing from the top center of the motor mount.

There is a lot going on there. The three studs are attached to the top of the timing chain cover. That is also right where your cam cover seals to the head. Several opportunites for oil to get out.

I would suspect the other three motor mount could be work out to put that much strain on those studs.

What happened?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to caveeagle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help caveeagle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
caveeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:02 PM   #4
sbr65nj

2000 SL2
1997 SL2

all three bolts have snapped. The center one is missing altogether...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-20-2010, 09:23 PM   #5
caveeagle
caveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of light

2005 VUE 2.2L
2001 SC2

Were you drag racing?

In any case, I bet your 'dog bones' are probably shot. You may have cracked the timing chain cover. I would check it all very closely before you bolt it back together.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help caveeagle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-20-2010, 09:32 PM   #6
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

When placing the cam cover gasket on, you're supposed to put a dab of RTV on both sides where the timing cover meets the block. I'm guessing the last person who worked on it did not do that.

edit: I take that back. You have a hole in your cam cover, right to the left of the bolt that is holding it on behind the top mount. You can see it clearly in the last picture - circled in the attachment. Need to hit the junkyard for a new cover

place a block of wood under the oil pan and jack it up just enough to take the weight off the mount. Remove the two bolts that hold the mount to the fender and pull the mount off.

You might be lucky and have enough of the stud sticking out to remove them with pliers. The studs are only supposed to be in there at 10-12 ft/lbs of torque
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled.JPG (37.8 KB, 82 views)

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

Last edited by alordofchaos; 07-20-2010 at 09:46 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:39 PM   #7
sbr65nj

2000 SL2
1997 SL2

You were absolutely right!!! Nice big crack over there. I guess tomorrow I get on the phone with some junk yards and see what I can find. Crack is there clear as day!!! Boy I feel stupid...

Last edited by sbr65nj; 07-20-2010 at 09:48 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-20-2010, 09:42 PM   #8
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Heh, you replied while I was editing my post.

You have a hole in your cam cover - take a look at the attachment I added in the post above - it's circled in red

Probably from the top mount hitting the cover

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-20-2010, 11:26 PM   #9
sbr65nj

2000 SL2
1997 SL2

found some valve covers on Ebay. Hopefully the better reputed sellers will supply me with a non-bent or warped specimen. Will let you all know how it turns out...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-21-2010, 08:10 AM   #10
DonP
Master Member
DonP will become famous soon enoughDonP will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

There are several thraeds on snapped chain cover mount studs. In my case, the problem was using an low cost after market mount (the unsatisfactory frown design) that failed taking two studs with it, and bending the third.

Can't tell yo mount type, but I woudl suspect it is a frown design, and shoul be repaled when you put in the new studs. Also, check your other moutns.

Using a dremmel tool sanding disc, I cut a slot in the top of the snapped studs and was able to back them out with a flat blade screwdrive.

Last edited by DonP; 07-21-2010 at 08:19 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DonP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DonP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:18 PM   #11
sbr65nj

2000 SL2
1997 SL2

I was able to remove the stud stubs from the engine block with a vise grip. All three are out. Here is a picture of the valve cover. As much as you fine folks may suspect I did not shoot my car!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00075-20100721-1331.jpg (148.7 KB, 68 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-21-2010, 11:28 PM   #12
caveeagle

2005 VUE 2.2L
2001 SC2

At least a cam cover should be easier to replace than the timing cover.

Keeping in mind that those studs are bolted in to the timing cover. ..not the block.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-21-2010, 11:46 PM   #13
off-track
Master Member
off-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Is it just the pic?? Why does you cam cover look munged sbr65nj?

1997 - SL2, barebones, 161k, Auto - Rebuild complete and.. burnt a valve 20k later Arrgh!
Purchased 114k 10/07
Added OEM CC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to off-track's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help off-track reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
off-track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:23 AM   #14
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by off-track View Post
Is it just the pic?? Why does you cam cover look munged sbr65nj?
When the engine mount studs broke, the engine shook/moved severely and the mount, still firmly moored on the frame side, slammed into the cam cover, cracking and denting it. It may well have rubbed that hole in the cover as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:23 AM   #15
alordofchaos

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

The original location for the TSB showing the mount replacment seems to be unavailable so I added it here
http://alordofchaos.com/Saturn_S_Series.aspx

Note the torque values are pretty low - you don't want to strip anything out.

You'll want to clean that oil out before putting in the new studs. I had two loosen (and I think one snapped, but I forget now). I added some thread locker as suggested in the TSB and they seem to be OK now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-22-2010, 02:20 PM   #16
sbr65nj

2000 SL2
1997 SL2

FYI all. The engine mount is still intact!!,and it is not an aftermarket unit. I mounted it into my 97 SL2 (2nd car) to see and it was still aligned and was not collapsed and it worked like new. As it is an OEM unit it as not the smiley faced design! I am replacing the two dogbone strut mounts and Transmission mount. I was able to find a used valve cover (VC)from a reputable vendor on EBay for about $45 delivered and. A new VC gasket has been ordered. So with a little elbow grease and a little luck car should be back on the road early next week.

One symptom that now in retrospect I had been wondering about was that in reverse the car made a lot of noise. In forward gears it was fine. Probably the engine bouncing around while in reverse due to the lack of an attached engine mount.

Good female friend of mine told me that she will be disappointed about the aftermath of repair. She had remarked previously that she liked the vibrations. Oh well can't please them all. IMHO much better to have engine properly mounted with intact valve cover...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-22-2010, 04:47 PM   #17
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbr65nj View Post
Good female friend of mine told me that she will be disappointed about the aftermath of repair. She had remarked previously that she liked the vibrations. Oh well can't please them all.
At the risk of straying WAAAY off-topic (not to mention off-color), I reckon you'll find a "workaround" for this situation as well.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:54 AM   #18
sbr65nj

2000 SL2
1997 SL2

All the parts won't be in till beginning of next week. Sooo it will remain where it is leaking oil and on its wood blocks supporting the engine. Hopefully neighbors wont give me dirty looks. Will get back with you all then.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-13-2010, 12:50 PM   #19
sbr65nj

2000 SL2
1997 SL2
Cool Re: Engine mount bolts snapped much oil!!

End of story...

1) The EBay part fit perfectly. was about $45 or so with shipping. Seller even cleaned it somewhat before shipping.
2) replaced all engine mounts except the top mount which is OEM and only two years old. Runs really quietly now.
3) While I was in there I replaced the Intake Manifold Gasket. Was causing the severe engine vibration that may well have caused or exacerbated the problem.

Car drives like new, not bad for a 14K car that has 153K of mileage.

Stuart

REWARD EXCELLENCE!