SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2010, 11:46 AM   #1
NGKTECH
NGKTECH will become famous soon enough

2007 SKY
1993 SC2
Default Rustoleum paint job project on 01 SC-2

I wanted to show the results of my paint project on my 01 coupe I'm going to be painting.

I bought the car a couple months back for $1100 bucks with only 70k miles on the clock, but it needed a new front bumper, had a cracked drivers fender, and had scratches and scrapes everywhere.

So I figured what the hell and I'd try the Rustoleum paint job on it because if nothing else it's a good story.

I won't be rolling the paint on though I will be spraying it. I was going to spray it though my regular HVLP top feed gun but while at Lowes my friend convinced me it would be funnier to spray it through a Wagner HVLP power painter, so i picked one up (I needed it to spray my deck anyway).

The car is all ready to be painted and last night I actually painted the door handles to test out the paint and equipment. The handles turned out great and the gun seemed to do a decent job. Last night I reduced the paint with the recommended Acetone to about 30% which gave me the right voscosity to spray an enamel paint.

When painting the actual car tomorrow I will be using an automotive reducer instead of Acetone for quicker dry times and better gloss and I will also be using an automotive enamel hardener in the paint to help as well. From what I have seen online this should turn out well and once the paint cures after a week or two I will then be wetsanding and then buffing/polishing to really bring the shine out.

Heres a price breakdown of supplies

Rustoleum gloss black-1 gallon $28
Automotive reducer - $16
Acetone - $7
Hardener - $15
Wagner Power painter - $60
Sand paper - $15
Bondo - $8
5 minute epoxy - $5
mix cups - $3
Auto tape x 2 - $8
wax & grease remover - $8
tack rags - $2

Not including the power painter thats only about $115 in paint and materials and I will have enough paint and reducer leftover to do a second car.

07' Saturn Sky 2.4L (T3/T4 turbo, 60's, HP tuners)
13' Ram 1500 HEMI
02' Saab Viggen (one of 71)
93' SC-2 project car (summer drag toy)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NGKTECH's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NGKTECH reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NGKTECH is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2010, 12:02 PM   #2
cloud819
Master Member
cloud819 will become famous soon enough

2001 SC2
Default Re: Rustoleum paint job project on 01 SC-2

Interested in seeing this project happen, thanks for posting.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cloud819's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cloud819 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cloud819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:41 PM   #3
themrfreeze
themrfreeze is on a distinguished road

Richpin just put up a video on YouTube of him painting his dad's Tercel with oil-based Rustoleum. If nothing else, it's interesting!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to themrfreeze's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help themrfreeze reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
themrfreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:43 PM   #4
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

The pictures aren't loading for me...

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:48 PM   #5
Mustang4fn
Mustang4fn is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2

FYI

http://www.rickwrench.com/index79mas...llarpaint.html

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mustang4fn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mustang4fn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mustang4fn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:22 PM   #6
NGKTECH

2007 SKY
1993 SC2

I've done a lot of research on this and it seems if you srapy it on like I am and use a quality automotive reducer and hardener it will turn out decent.

I just painted the rear trunk piece where the license plate goes and the first coat looks great, great shine, little orange peel, and full coverage after only the first coat. Ill be applying one more coat in about 30 more minutes and see how it turns out. Hopefully it will be fully dry by tomorrow morning. The door handles I painted yesterday (without hardener) were not wet but were still lightly tacky today on lunch.

I cant wait to get the entire car painted tomorrow, I just hope I dont have any runs so I can have it all knocked out tomorrow and get on to painting my wheels friday and then assemble the car Saturday afternoon and start driving it on Monday

13' Ram 1500 HEMI

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help NGKTECH reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-21-2010, 09:02 PM   #7
Bill Murray
Master Member
Bill Murray will become famous soon enough

1997 SC1
1997 SC1

Interesting plan.
For those less ambitious, I got my S Coupe repainted at MAACO on sale for 300 bucks (white plus clearcoat - the original color is white but one side and the trunk were replacement panels in dark green after a brush with the freeway center cable barrier) and the job exceeded my expectations.

After a year, it still looks quite good.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bill Murray's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bill Murray reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bill Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 04:03 AM   #8
samjack56
samjack56 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murray View Post
Interesting plan.
For those less ambitious, I got my S Coupe repainted at MAACO on sale for 300 bucks (white plus clearcoat - the original color is white but one side and the trunk were replacement panels in dark green after a brush with the freeway center cable barrier) and the job exceeded my expectations.

After a year, it still looks quite good.
I was considering a maaco paint job but decided I'd like to do it myself since I'd learn something, it would be cheaper, and much more rewarding. I'm interested to see how the rustoleum holds up with your Saturn.. I may consider it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to samjack56's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help samjack56 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
samjack56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 01:47 PM   #9
sleepersatty99
sleepersatty99 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

all i see are RED X's. I would like to see this.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sleepersatty99's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sleepersatty99 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sleepersatty99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:33 AM   #10
NGKTECH

2007 SKY
1993 SC2

I got the car painted on Thursday. I had some viscosity issues with the paint and the wagner sprayer. The directions with the wagner recommended a pretty thick viscosity (25-40 seconds with their voscisity cup) and it caused a ton of orange peel on the first couple coats, no matter what I did I couldnt get the paint to go on wet at all and it was looking terrible after the first two coats (tons of orange peel).

So on the third coat I decided to thin the paint and follow a ratio I found online that was 8 parts paint to 4 parts reducer and 1 part hardener.

This ratio was fantastic! I was able to apply the paint very wet without any runs very easily. The wagner power painter works very very well with the right paint viscosity.

So to conclude I was dissapointed that the car turned out with a terrible orange peel finish (which was no fault of the gun or the paint but user error/inexperience), but next week after the paint is fully cured I'll do a full wetsand, buff/polish and the orange peel should be gone. I used an entire gallon of paint on the car so I should have plenty of material to work with as far as sanding polishing goes.

13' Ram 1500 HEMI

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-24-2010, 10:57 AM   #11
NGKTECH

2007 SKY
1993 SC2

Pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front.jpg (40.4 KB, 556 views)
File Type: jpg outside view.jpg (75.2 KB, 511 views)
File Type: jpg rear end.jpg (49.5 KB, 465 views)
File Type: jpg close up front.jpg (38.5 KB, 500 views)
File Type: jpg rear left.jpg (47.1 KB, 495 views)

13' Ram 1500 HEMI

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-24-2010, 03:52 PM   #12
02SC2drvr
02SC2drvr is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
Thumbs Up Re: Rustoleum paint job project on 01 SC-2

wow nice work for 50 bucks or so! I was planning on doing the same myself to my 02sc2 and throw 2 colors in it for the 'tuner' look. would you reccommend the rustoleum paint? I was just gonna 'Dupli-color' mine.

BTW.. sand that paintjob down with 2000grit paper and buff and wax that and it'll f-ing shine! good job!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 02SC2drvr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 02SC2drvr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
02SC2drvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 04:00 PM   #13
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

looks like a world of orange peel to me...

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 04:04 PM   #14
Mustang4fn
Mustang4fn is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2

Looking forward to seeing how the wet sanding turns out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mustang4fn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mustang4fn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mustang4fn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:30 PM   #15
almoore
almoore is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L
Thumbs Up Re: Rustoleum paint job project on 01 SC-2

The car looks good.I am sure when you get done with the wet sand and buff job,it will look great.
But I really got to give you credit ,for doing it yourself and taking the time to share your story.You are "DA Man"!

"No good deed goes unpunished"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to almoore's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help almoore reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
almoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:44 PM   #16
NGKTECH

2007 SKY
1993 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02SC2drvr View Post
wow nice work for 50 bucks or so! I was planning on doing the same myself to my 02sc2 and throw 2 colors in it for the 'tuner' look. would you reccommend the rustoleum paint? I was just gonna 'Dupli-color' mine.

BTW.. sand that paintjob down with 2000grit paper and buff and wax that and it'll f-ing shine! good job!

Ive never painted with rustoleum before but I would recommend it as long as you use the automotive reducer and hardener. Without the hardener Ive read it takes forever for the stuff to dry and cure. I cant say anything about the durability but i doubt ill own the car longer than 2-3 years and i imagine it will last at least that long, especially since this car likely wont be seeing winters here.

13' Ram 1500 HEMI

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-24-2010, 08:48 PM   #17
NGKTECH

2007 SKY
1993 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueGuy View Post
looks like a world of orange peel to me...
Again as noted earlier there is a metric-**** ton of orange peel. However, to clarify it is not in any way because of the paint or even the paint gun, it was because I didn't reduce the paint enough.

The best combo to spray it wet without running is

8 part paint, 4 part reducer, and 1 part hardener

13' Ram 1500 HEMI

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-24-2010, 09:35 PM   #18
sousa632
sousa632 is on a distinguished road

1995 SW2
Cool Re: Rustoleum paint job project on 01 SC-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGKTECH View Post
Ive never painted with rustoleum before but I would recommend it as long as you use the automotive reducer and hardener. Without the hardener Ive read it takes forever for the stuff to dry and cure. I cant say anything about the durability but i doubt ill own the car longer than 2-3 years and i imagine it will last at least that long, especially since this car likely wont be seeing winters here.
Not really. I did it on a bumper and a fender on a corsica that I had and it came out pretty well, and didnt take all that much time to cure. I was able to get about 3 coats on per day. I was rolling/brushing so I was trying to keep on top of the orange peel. I think I put on like 7 coats wetsanding betweek every 3rd. The last coat wasnt sanded and it looked almost like glass.

If I needed a paint job on the REAL cheap this is a viable option.

here's how my front bumper ended up.....

Started with this....

ended with this

John
96 Tbird 4.6L, 95 Saturn SW2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sousa632's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sousa632 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sousa632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:09 PM   #19
02SC2drvr
02SC2drvr is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGKTECH View Post
Cool man thanks for the heads up! i hope yours turns out.. you'll def have to throw pics up when its all buffed and waxed and whatnot!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 02SC2drvr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 02SC2drvr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
02SC2drvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:39 AM   #20
NGKTECH

2007 SKY
1993 SC2

Update*

I started sanding the car last Saturday and have been slowly working on it over this week. Its all sanded down with a combo of 1500 and 1000 grit...finally.

Tomorrow morning I should be able to spend a few hours on it going back over it with 1500 and 2000 grit, and then be able to start with my rotary and 2 different rubbing compounds, and then if I have time a black polishing compound.

This color sanding has been a **** load of hard work so I hope it pays off and looks decent.

Ill try and get pics tomorrow after I finish

13' Ram 1500 HEMI

REWARD EXCELLENCE!