SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2010, 08:28 PM   #1
Bill Murray
Master Member
Bill Murray will become famous soon enough

1997 SC1
1997 SC1
Default Ecotec 1.4 (Cruze turbo) swap potential?

I think we've decided the 2.0/2.2/2.4 Ecotec is too big (especially height wise) for a clean swap into the S Coupe.

The 1.4 Ecotec turbo in the Chevy Cruze will be rated at 138 hp / 148 tq and come with six speed transmissions both manual and auto. It sounds like a nice match and at 40 mpg in the 500lb heavier Cruze would be a real gas mizer in the Saturn.

Obviously it will be a few years before these are out there (and wrecked) in enough volume to produce a good supply of donor cars. But if anybody has any comments on this potential swap I'd like to hear them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bill Murray's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bill Murray reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bill Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2010, 11:16 PM   #2
cloud819
Master Member
cloud819 will become famous soon enough

2001 SC2
Default Re: Ecotec 1.4 (Cruze turbo) swap potential?

I'd think they'd be just as large, the 1.4 could be even taller as that engine will be direct injection.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cloud819's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cloud819 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cloud819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 11:57 PM   #3
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

pretty sure the problem with the 2.2L, etc ecotecs isn't really the height, you can always do a custom hood easily enough. The problem is all the custom parts and electronics to make it work in general, which isn't going to be substantially different with any other engine.

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:49 PM   #4
quiksc2
Master Member
quiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I've seen the engines fit in the bays, it was getting everything hooked up that drained bank accounts...

If I wanted ride quality, I would drive a Cadillac. If I wanted to be a sheep, I would drive something that says Vtec on the side of it...
DCS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to quiksc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help quiksc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
quiksc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:15 AM   #5
cfg83
Advanced Member
cfg83 is on a distinguished road

Bill -

This engine is currently made for Opels. I don't know where to look offhand, but I think you could do lots of homework on European websites and forums.

Before GM's crash they had a great engine website that displayed all the Ecotec variants. I can't find it anymore, but I did find this :

http://www.ecotecforum.com/
http://www.ecotecforum.com/forums/archive/index.php

CarloSW2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cfg83's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cfg83 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 05:59 PM   #6
Leafy
Leafy is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

that 1.4 ecotec is not a real ecotec its just the name that GM has given all of its I4's now. Real ecotecs are designed off the same basic block (the one that started its american life as the L61, aka the 2.2 ecotec).

1994 SL2 HCE auto 113 hp 113 lbft (wheel) backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier SS
For Sale: FlyWheel, Shifter assembly, Clutch Hydros, 1st gen 5 spd PCM. PM me for prices.

WPI class of '12 ME

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Leafy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Leafy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:53 PM   #7
westwind999
westwind999 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2
1999 SW1

From what I have read the 1.4 is based on the euro 1.0/1.2 motors so it should be small enough to fit. Getting it all to work might be a challenge.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to westwind999's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help westwind999 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
westwind999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 04:02 PM   #8
cfg83
Advanced Member
cfg83 is on a distinguished road

Leafy -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
that 1.4 ecotec is not a real ecotec its just the name that GM has given all of its I4's now. Real ecotecs are designed off the same basic block (the one that started its american life as the L61, aka the 2.2 ecotec).
Thanks for that information. I thought they were very close to being the same and/or shared a high % of parts.

CarloSW2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cfg83's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cfg83 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 04:18 PM   #9
azrocketman
azrocketman is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murray View Post
I think we've decided the 2.0/2.2/2.4 Ecotec is too big (especially height wise) for a clean swap into the S Coupe.

The 1.4 Ecotec turbo in the Chevy Cruze will be rated at 138 hp / 148 tq and come with six speed transmissions both manual and auto. It sounds like a nice match and at 40 mpg in the 500lb heavier Cruze would be a real gas mizer in the Saturn.

Obviously it will be a few years before these are out there (and wrecked) in enough volume to produce a good supply of donor cars. But if anybody has any comments on this potential swap I'd like to hear them.
Nothing beats cubic inches except cubic dollars for making power. I consider it a step backwards to go to a smaller displacement, forced induction motor versus a more efficient (more HP/liter) and/or larger displacement motor for generating more power (138 HP from the high tech motor versus 124 HP from the lower tech Saturn DOHC motor, an 11% gain. No big gain for the headaches involved). Besides, you can always add forced induction to the larger motor.

If you consider the mechanical and electrical interface issues of using a non-Saturn drivetrain in an S-series Saturn why limit yourself to GM sourced poweretrains?

Steve

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to azrocketman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help azrocketman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
azrocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:38 PM   #10
Bill Murray
Master Member
Bill Murray will become famous soon enough

1997 SC1
1997 SC1

I would say the objectives are more power/torque + less mass (fun to drive), and better fuel economy. A combination of virtuous attributes.

I find the Cruze interesting because it will be produced in large volumes, available cheap on the salvage market (in a few years), comes with modern six speed transmissions, and probably will have decent support in the aftermarket.

It might be more fun to duplicate the Chevy LS into BMW swap, but I've got this wonderful 97 SC I've owned for 14 yrs that just sort of begs for an upgrade someday.

Appreciate all the inputs. Keep em coming.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bill Murray's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bill Murray reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bill Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:16 AM   #11
d3ad1ysp0rk
Advanced Member
d3ad1ysp0rk will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrocketman View Post
Nothing beats cubic inches except cubic dollars for making power.

Steve
That's a load of generalized crap.

T3/T4, built motor, coilovers, rear disc, audio setup, etc.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to d3ad1ysp0rk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help d3ad1ysp0rk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
d3ad1ysp0rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:31 AM   #12
azrocketman
azrocketman is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3ad1ysp0rk View Post
That's a load of generalized crap.
"Nothing beats cubic inches except cubic dollars for making power."

Sure, it's a generalized statement, but if you compare the exceptions to the population at large it's true.

Steve

1986 Corvette Convertible 5.7 liter L98/700R4 stock (and it will give an extensively modified Saturn a run for less money)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to azrocketman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help azrocketman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
azrocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 01:07 PM   #13
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murray View Post
I've got this wonderful 97 SC I've owned for 14 yrs that just sort of begs for an upgrade someday.

Appreciate all the inputs. Keep em coming.
Have you seen the thread where someone has put a 2.0 TDI (IIRC) into their S-series? Running well from last report.

Edit: here it is
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...ghlight=diesel

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:41 AM   #14
d3ad1ysp0rk
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrocketman View Post
"Nothing beats cubic inches except cubic dollars for making power."

Sure, it's a generalized statement, but if you compare the exceptions to the population at large it's true.

Steve

1986 Corvette Convertible 5.7 liter L98/700R4 stock (and it will give an extensively modified Saturn a run for less money)
Factory stock turbochargers are always undersized in order to cater to the masses who want torque at 1500 when they forget to downshift. A properly sized turbo at even low boost will make up the difference of a much larger motor.

How far are you willing to prove displacement is better at the expense of weight, engine bay room, engine cost, and gas mileage?

If it takes a 5L NA engine to make the same power as a 2.5L turbo, is that okay?

Turbo's are simply more efficient then trying to shove more engine in a car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help d3ad1ysp0rk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-23-2010, 11:02 AM   #15
Leafy

1994 SL2

yeah but that 400 hp in a 5L v8 na motor is a lot safer and more reliable than the same from a 2.5L I4 turbo motor. Think about the ideal case with no losses and junk, in the v8, each con rod only has to withstand 50 hp while while in the I4 each con rod has to withstand 100 hp. Thats a pretty big jump. not to mention the I4 is going to have higher cylinder pressures (more HG failures) and higher rpms.

2002 Chevy Cavalier SS
For Sale: FlyWheel, Shifter assembly, Clutch Hydros, 1st gen 5 spd PCM. PM me for prices.

WPI class of '12 ME

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Leafy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-23-2010, 11:13 AM   #16
d3ad1ysp0rk
Advanced Member

We're at a point where a properly built 2.5L motor can easily withstand 400hp for 200k miles. Look at the 2jz; originally built in 1991, 3 liters, with NO engine upgrades can withstand over FIVE HUNDRED WHP for the life of the car.

For a drag car, large displacement F/I is amazing, for my daily, I'd be happy with a couple liters and a decent sized turbo. I enjoy making over 300whp and getting 30+ mpg, while having the car weigh close to stock.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-23-2010, 11:15 AM   #17
Leafy

1994 SL2

yes but that supra motor was a lot more expensive to produce to get that safety margin.

2002 Chevy Cavalier SS

WPI class of '12 ME

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-23-2010, 11:41 AM   #18
d3ad1ysp0rk
Advanced Member

True, with 20 year old technology.

The economy engines can support it, boost is now a very reliable option, and it is far more efficient then just increasing the displacement.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-23-2010, 12:00 PM   #19
spencerforhire
Advanced Member
spencerforhire will become famous soon enough

2001 SC1
2000 SW2

On the street, big torque is what you want, and at the lowest possible RPM. Someone compared a 400hp 5 liter V8 to a turbocharged 2.5 liter 4 cylinder, and brought up reliability with respect to connecting rod loads and cylinder pressure. The V8's biggest advantage is actually torque; probably in excess of 250 foot-pounds from 2000 RPM and up. And the turbo 4? lucky to produce 250 at 4000 or 5000 rpm. That's NOT where you want the power!

01 SW2-#1 son's
01 SC2-#2 son's
00 SW2-wife's
00 SL2-daughter's
99 SW2-mine
00 SL1-spare
98 SC1-parts
+ 25 scrapped

Visit www.spencerforhire.ca to see what I do other than fix Saturns

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerforhire's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerforhire reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spencerforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 12:03 PM   #20
Leafy

1994 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerforhire View Post
On the street, big torque is what you want, and at the lowest possible RPM. Someone compared a 400hp 5 liter V8 to a turbocharged 2.5 liter 4 cylinder, and brought up reliability with respect to connecting rod loads and cylinder pressure. The V8's biggest advantage is torque; probably in excess of 250 foot-pounds from 2000 RPM and up. And the turbo 4? lucky to produce 250 at 4000 or 5000 rpm. That's NOT where you want the power!
well thats where you want the power if you're racing. You want low end power for a street car and high rpm power for racing. I mean look at it this way when you're racing you only hit the low rpm band once, and thats in 1st gear, off the line, with the tires spinning. This is why I can beat my friends 08 civic si with my cavalier. Yeah i have more torque in a lighter car but all my torque is on the low end, it peaks at 4 k and drops sharply after that.

2002 Chevy Cavalier SS

WPI class of '12 ME

REWARD EXCELLENCE!