SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2010, 09:31 PM   #1
05SaturnRL
05SaturnRL is on a distinguished road

Default Thinking about getting a 05-07 V6 Vue

Well I am looking to get a different daily driver vehicle with somewhat decent MPGs, and the V6 VUE is something I am considering. I need something that has plenty of room to throw junk in the back, and could possibly tow if needed. Do you all think I could get a set of wheels and tires in the back of one with room to spare? What is the most weight that you all have towed with your VUEs?

Is there anything I should should look for on these model VUEs, any problem areas that they are known to have? I have heard before in the past that some have had trouble with the AWD models. I also think that there is a reccomendation for the timing belt at 100K, is there any kind of other maintenace that needs to be done sooner on the 3.5 V6s?

I found a few 06s with around 50K miles on them that I am probably going to look at. I am sure you Vue owners know more on what they are worth, what do you all think is fair asking price on these from a Saturn dealership?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 05SaturnRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 05SaturnRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
05SaturnRL is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2010, 10:07 PM   #2
lafessler
lafessler is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Thinking about getting a 05-07 V6 Vue

I had an 06 Vue V6 AWD and it wasn't that good on gas, maybe 20 mpg tops on the highway about 16 around town. I had alot of problems with the ignition cylinder(replaced 4 times) and strut mounts(replaced 3 and could be replace again before I hit a deer)
Had 88,000 miles and pretty much had most of the front end suspension replaced, sway bar, ball joints, wheel bearings(replaced twice under warranty), CV boot.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lafessler's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lafessler reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lafessler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:20 PM   #3
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05SaturnRL View Post
Do you all think I could get a set of wheels and tires in the back of one with room to spare? What is the most weight that you all have towed with your VUEs?
See my attached pic of me hauling my OEM VUE wheels and tires to the tire store to get new tires mounted. Not a whole lot of room to spare, but there is some. The new tires are stacked behind the driver seat in the back seat. My daughter was in her car seat on the passenger side.

Scratch that, just check out my original thread:
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=100134

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:21 AM   #4
05SaturnRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom92SCm View Post
See my attached pic of me hauling my OEM VUE wheels and tires to the tire store to get new tires mounted. Not a whole lot of room to spare, but there is some. The new tires are stacked behind the driver seat in the back seat. My daughter was in her car seat on the passenger side.

Scratch that, just check out my original thread:
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=100134
That will be plenty of room left for me then if I can fit four no problem, I can always toos stuff on the rear seat. The rear seat on the Vue folds down anyways, right?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 05SaturnRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-13-2010, 11:56 AM   #5
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

Yep. And the passenger front seat folds flat as well. You can carry 8 foot 2x4s home from the lumbar yard with the tail gate closed.

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:00 PM   #6
05SaturnRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom92SCm View Post
Yep. And the passenger front seat folds flat as well. You can carry 8 foot 2x4s home from the lumbar yard with the tail gate closed.
Nice, that will come in handy when going to Home Depot and buying all kinds of junk for the house.

I'll probably be going to day to look at some, so we will see

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-13-2010, 03:08 PM   #7
stbvue
stbvue is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafessler View Post
I had an 06 Vue V6 AWD and it wasn't that good on gas, maybe 20 mpg tops on the highway about 16 around town. I had alot of problems with the ignition cylinder(replaced 4 times) and strut mounts(replaced 3 and could be replace again before I hit a deer)
Had 88,000 miles and pretty much had most of the front end suspension replaced, sway bar, ball joints, wheel bearings(replaced twice under warranty), CV boot.
WoW that seems like alot of work for an 06...Replaced struts 3 times. Where do you live down in the Grand Canyon....LoL

I dont mind things that go bump in the night as long as they arent in my VUE!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to stbvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help stbvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
stbvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 04:49 PM   #8
lafessler
lafessler is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by stbvue View Post
WoW that seems like alot of work for an 06...Replaced struts 3 times. Where do you live down in the Grand Canyon....LoL
Nope, NY state. The funny thing is my husband and I are real fanatics about our vehicles...I think "mine" was just a lemon.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lafessler's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lafessler reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lafessler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 04:56 PM   #9
chillin05VUE
chillin05VUE is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafessler View Post
Nope, NY state. The funny thing is my husband and I are real fanatics about our vehicles...I think "mine" was just a lemon.
Your VUE must have been made on a Monday or Friday.........lol

"Remember, if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

2005 VUE V6 AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chillin05VUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chillin05VUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chillin05VUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 01:30 AM   #10
XRL
Master Member
XRL will become famous soon enoughXRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line

Well, you can fit all 4 tires for a Redline in the back without much problem. See my tire pics for proof

I get 23 mpg consistently at nearly 100k miles, with super grippy Nitto INVOs. I used to get ~25-27 mixed with my much worn tires.

I think the Vue is rated for 3500 pounds towing. I've never towed anything with mine. I think one of the biggest issues with towing in the Vue is the braking, it's barely adequate without any extra trailer behind it IMO. Definitely get a transmission cooler if you plan on towing with one though.

One thing I'd recommend looking at would be the Honda Element. I know, they're ugly and drive like crap, but that's the most practical vehicle in the known universe. The rear seats fold down, or up, or come out and there's tons of room in the back of them. eould make a great work vehicle (and the SC is pretty sharp looking IMO). Don't know if you can tow or whatnot with them though, they're seriously underpowered, though they use a K-series engine so there's options for more power.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 01:35 PM   #11
05SaturnRL

Well I looked at a couple in that had miles. The Vue seems pretty good for something to drive around daily, there's decent room it, and it seems to have good power with a smooth ride. The dealer has a few 06 V6s in the 50K mile range, asking $12,500 for them, and they all have new OE Bridgestones on them. That seems to be the dealer bluebook price accoding to KBB. I'll probably look at some other next week before deciding what to get. I'd like to score one off a private owner could I know I could get it for a better price, but practically everyone trades in anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRL View Post
One thing I'd recommend looking at would be the Honda Element. I know, they're ugly and drive like crap, but that's the most practical vehicle in the known universe. The rear seats fold down, or up, or come out and there's tons of room in the back of them. eould make a great work vehicle (and the SC is pretty sharp looking IMO). Don't know if you can tow or whatnot with them though, they're seriously underpowered, though they use a K-series engine so there's options for more power.
No way, not a chance. I think I'd rather have a minivan first before one of those, the back seats on those fold down and come out too. I just don't care for small box sized vehicles. I need something that has decent power already, since I have no intention of wanting to do anything to this vehicle. I thought about something like a Colorado, Canyon, or a Ranger, but the Vue probably has close to as much room in the back with the seats folded down than these. Plus I could buy a new Colorado and Canyon in a crew cab, with more interior room, for cheaper right now than what used ones go for. Kind of wanting to avoid that. Right now I think I am going to lean more towards the Vue, they seems pretty reliable, and I know that the resale value sucks on them, easier to find cheaper

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-14-2010, 02:36 PM   #12
stbvue

2005 VUE 3.5L

You'd be surprised how much room the vue has. Every one that gets into ours says they cant believe how roomy it is for its size. Thats why i like to drive it on long trips, my legs dont get cramped, for me its seated just right. I hate to drive low clearance cars, they dont have the leg room.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help stbvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-14-2010, 03:48 PM   #13
chillin05VUE
chillin05VUE is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

We used mine to move. Folded down the rear and passenger seats and loaded it up with whatever would fit. I even use it to transport my mountain bike. Fold down the rear seats and a little wiggling and it's in with the hatch closed.

"Remember, if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

2005 VUE V6 AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chillin05VUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chillin05VUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chillin05VUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:36 PM   #14
XRL
Master Member
XRL will become famous soon enoughXRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillin05VUE View Post
We used mine to move. Folded down the rear and passenger seats and loaded it up with whatever would fit. I even use it to transport my mountain bike. Fold down the rear seats and a little wiggling and it's in with the hatch closed.
Same here. I've used mine as a makeshift tent and slept in the back of it. It's quite spacious, and makes a pretty nice bed with a little foam thing. I'm pretty tall too, like 6'2-3".

I'm not a huge fan of the Elements either, but they're useful. Figured I'd throw it out there though. I think if I was in the market for a truck, I'd either pick up a cheap used Ranger or S10 Extreme, or try to find an S-Runner or X-Runner. I wouldn't buy a Colorado personally, I don't like them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:52 AM   #15
mrtube
Advanced Member
mrtube is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

The wife usually sees 19-20MPG city and 24-25mpg highway with our 06 AWD vue.

The only dislike I have with the vehicle is the honda transmission. Other then that it will be hard to find an SUV that is near as fast and has the same gas mileage.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mrtube's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mrtube reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mrtube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:18 PM   #16
05SaturnRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtube View Post
The wife usually sees 19-20MPG city and 24-25mpg highway with our 06 AWD vue.

The only dislike I have with the vehicle is the honda transmission. Other then that it will be hard to find an SUV that is near as fast and has the same gas mileage.
Why is that, is the honda trans weak in the Vue?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-16-2010, 10:31 PM   #17
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05SaturnRL View Post
Why is that, is the honda trans weak in the Vue?
Not all of us think it is weak ... I only have 43,000 miles on mine but have had no problems so far.

I'd guess well over 150,000 3.5 Vues have been delivered with the Honda transmission and you can find several complaints on this forum.

Many have changed the transmission fluid earlier than GM recommended based on reports of RPM fluctuations.

It has to do with group paranoia as I've also changed mine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 02:20 PM   #18
SoCalVue
SoCalVue is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

I've owned my '04 V6 FWD Vue since new. In the last 5+ years, it's been flawless mechanically. No issues whatsoever. I routinely get 19-20 mpg around town & 25-27 mpg on the freeway (@ 80 mph). No complaints or issues with the engine or trans. I had the issue with the window trim rattling, but a few strips of foam insulation stopped that. I'm almost ready for a new ride, but just can't bring myself to part with the Vue... has been one of my favorite vehicles to-date. Wind noise is noticeable on the freeway (on windy days), but the engine is quiet & the ride is smooth. I LOVE the power and economy of the Honda V6, & the trans shifts smoothly. I like the seating position... and like others, have many comments from others about how roomy it is inside. The paint has held up very well... only downside is the plastic bumpers that turn gray & show the flow lines if they're not treated frequently.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SoCalVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SoCalVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SoCalVue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 03:29 PM   #19
stbvue

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalVue View Post
I've owned my '04 V6 FWD Vue since new. In the last 5+ years, it's been flawless mechanically. No issues whatsoever. I routinely get 19-20 mpg around town & 25-27 mpg on the freeway (@ 80 mph). No complaints or issues with the engine or trans. I had the issue with the window trim rattling, but a few strips of foam insulation stopped that. I'm almost ready for a new ride, but just can't bring myself to part with the Vue... has been one of my favorite vehicles to-date. Wind noise is noticeable on the freeway (on windy days), but the engine is quiet & the ride is smooth. I LOVE the power and economy of the Honda V6, & the trans shifts smoothly. I like the seating position... and like others, have many comments from others about how roomy it is inside. The paint has held up very well... only downside is the plastic bumpers that turn gray & show the flow lines if they're not treated frequently.
U noticed that to about the bumpers?. I used 303 spray on mine and the whole trim turned white. I had to go back over it with armorall which im not a big fan of for the outside of the car anyhow. Lots of people on here say to use the 303 spray, im not sure about that stuff. I used it on my colorados bed cover and it did the same thing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-19-2010, 10:10 AM   #20
mmckown
mmckown is on a distinguished road

The only worrisome problem I have had with my '04 in 105K was the surging tranny issue at 85K. I took it to a Honda dealership and they recommended a tranny flush and fill, which replaces 100% of the tranny fluid. Problem solved.

Oh, and I had a seat heater element die at 60K. Brake pads at 45K and rotor/pads at 80K. Drivers side overhead map lite died last month, will be hitting the junkyards when it get warmer for a replacement. Need struts now, and am looking at the 100K service later this month.

Overall I am very satisfied with the Vue. It's paid off and with about $1200 worth of maitenance over the next couple of months I hope to keep it going to the 150K mark and beyond...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mmckown's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mmckown reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mmckown is offline   Reply With Quote