SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2009, 11:31 PM   #1
TIMSPEED
Advanced Member
TIMSPEED is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
1998 SW2
Default 98 SW2: Wipers won't stop!

So I pulled the fuse on them to get them to stop...
But other than that, they just continually run, and when they happen to stop for a MINUTE, I notice they're not returning to base position...they'll go down to base, then pop up a bit, then just start wiping again.
It's not the wiper switch on the stalk, because if I turn them to HIGH, they actually run HIGH, and if I turn them to LOW, they run LOW, but the "Delay" feature is basically set to Fastest, and if I just turn them OFF, they stay "Delay", also, the "wash" function still works as usual...
Any ideas?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TIMSPEED's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TIMSPEED reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TIMSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2009, 01:29 AM   #2
original007
original007 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 98 SW2: Wipers won't stop!

most likely the motor is bad.park switch and delay controls are internal

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to original007's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help original007 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
original007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 10:19 AM   #3
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

My dad has a 1998 SW2, his wipers would occasionally, randomly cycle (once) on their own…, and the rear washer did not work.

The fix was to purchase and install a new Lever Combination Switch on the steering column.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 10:28 AM   #4
l69norm
l69norm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMSPEED View Post
But other than that, they just continually run, and when they happen to stop for a MINUTE, I notice they're not returning to base position...they'll go down to base, then pop up a bit, then just start wiping again.
It's not the wiper switch on the stalk, because if I turn them to HIGH, they actually run HIGH, and if I turn them to LOW, they run LOW, but the "Delay" feature is basically set to Fastest, and if I just turn them OFF, they stay "Delay", also, the "wash" function still works as usual...
Any ideas?
Quote:
Originally Posted by original007 View Post
most likely the motor is ....
+1, bad wiper motor. Mine did exactly the same thing. It gets worse as time goes on (eventually they won't work at all). All the smart controller guts is built into the motor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to l69norm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help l69norm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
l69norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 12:03 PM   #5
SBXLI93
SBXLI93 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
2003 ION-3 Sedan

Probably in your multi- function switch on the steering column. It is a generic GM thing. My 1997 Sunfire low lights didnot work then the lever actually broke. My 1999 SL2 developed a brake light problem, 287 dollars later problem fixed. No power to rear lights, switch was wore out. Since the wipers are controlled thru switch on steering column, stand to reason that the multi- function switch is bad.

1999 SL2 748k miles
engine and tranny rebuilt
36.5 mpg
Now I am ready to go for another 500,000!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SBXLI93's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SBXLI93 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SBXLI93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 12:06 PM   #6
livingproofofit
livingproofofit is on a distinguished road

hhahaahha

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to livingproofofit's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help livingproofofit reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
livingproofofit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 03:33 PM   #7
TIMSPEED
Advanced Member
TIMSPEED is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
1998 SW2

But the headlights and rear wiper all work perfectly...
I'm going to take off the cowl today and clean the connector contacts on the wiper motor, and see if it doesn't make a difference...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TIMSPEED's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TIMSPEED reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TIMSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:09 PM   #8
sbr65nj
sbr65nj is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
1997 SL2

I am having a similar problem with my 2000 SL2. Everything electrical works except that the windshield wipers will not turn off eight away. What I have been doing that seems to work well for now is to pull the switch down into the "mist" position and then it stops OK. Experience as a tech "Computers and Electronics" tells me that it is a dirty connection. If the entire system was bad more things would be malfunctioning. I am curious if your solution to your issue solves your problem.

Stuart

2000 SL2 145,000 Miles
1997 SL2 125,000 Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sbr65nj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sbr65nj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sbr65nj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:17 PM   #9
sbr65nj
sbr65nj is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
1997 SL2

I found this post on Cardone's site on this issue. It looks like a simple solution without a major cash outlay.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PT 40-0001.pdf (115.7 KB, 231 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sbr65nj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sbr65nj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sbr65nj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:24 AM   #10
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbr65nj View Post
I found this post on Cardone's site on this issue. It looks like a simple solution without a major cash outlay.
When I took my wiper motor apart to lube it, there was green on the pin connectors on the motor housing itself (meaning: not the pigtail connector)

In the long term, sponge foam gaskets keep out the dirt, but not the moisture.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:48 AM   #11
bluesl2
bluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of light

Usually it is the motor going bad if the wipers do not park.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bluesl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bluesl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bluesl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 04:10 PM   #12
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

All,
Old thread, but my current problem. Wipers take a while to turn off. Intermittent works intermittently - one they start going they just go, rather than pause. Earlier in the thread people seemed confident it was the motor, stalk controls, or motor grounding. Any more recent experience or consensus of the root cause?

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 07:55 PM   #13
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

My experience was a bad wiper motor controller board, I purchased a replacement at Autozone and his solved it. Altho up in your neck of the woods, it is probably TracAuto parts stores (if they are still in business)??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:40 PM   #14
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Toggenburg,
Never heard of TracAuto. I'll have to look for the board. Looks like Rock Auto just sells the motors with the pulse board attached. Thanks for the feedback!

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 09:18 PM   #15
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

Trak Auto.. they used to have plenty of stores in the Chicagoland area.

Looks like their remaining stores were absorbed by Advanced Auto in 2002....it's been a while since I have revisited the outlying 'burbs' I guess.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 01:19 AM   #16
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really nice

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMSPEED View Post
Any ideas?
Replace the wiper motor, or at least the logic board to it. The Valeo units, with delay, have a problem with moisture destroying the logic board for the delay controls. It is a common failure item, in the S-Series with delay.

www.car-part.com can be used to locate a used wiper motor at a local yard.

The motor is not a lot of fun to change. Be mindful of the plastic trim for the cowl, it cracks easily, and watch for the plastic rivets that hold it. Some of them look like Torx head bolts, but are plastic push rivets that don't always like to come out.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote