SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2009, 05:15 PM   #1
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really nice

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL
Default power steering pump

It appears to be slinging fluid onto the firewall. Hmmmm. Time to check the fluid weekly at least.

Just for kicks I priced a manual rack from Rock Auto, it is quite a bit higher than the power steering rack! Must be because most of these cars have PS. In fact, PS was free on my car (1997) as part of a special deal.

I wonder if JY have manual racks? I would rather change racks and get rid of the PS than put money in the PS system. I guess I live life as simply as possible.

97 SL. Born 6/5/97, bought 7/7/97
08 Burgman 400
02 Haro MTB- can't kill it, still trying though

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MikeNW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MikeNW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MikeNW is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2009, 06:05 PM   #2
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL
Default Re: power steering pump

Why not just replace the power steering pump with a used one?

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:11 PM   #3
Bill Murray
Master Member
Bill Murray will become famous soon enough

1997 SC1
1997 SC1

Rebuilt ones are pretty cheap.
$60 exchange IIRC.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bill Murray's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bill Murray reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bill Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:07 PM   #4
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really nice

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL

Because I wouldn't have bought PS in the first place, except it was free. Manual steering is OK by me.
In a couple years, when the pump starts actually dribbling fluid, I'll look at it again.

08 Burgman 400

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help MikeNW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-26-2009, 07:26 PM   #5
Squareback
Squareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the rough

2005 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNW View Post
Because I wouldn't have bought PS in the first place, except it was free. Manual steering is OK by me.
In a couple years, when the pump starts actually dribbling fluid, I'll look at it again.

Or, you could just replace the $12 seal in the pump and maintain your car properly. The shaft seal leaks on the pumps and causes the stripe of fluid you see. Should take an amateur about an hour to replace it. Changing out your rack to a manual one over replacing a simple seal is downright moronic. Don't know if you have vehicle inspections in your state or not, but you would fail a NYS Safety Inspection with that leak.

Certified Saturn Technician

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Squareback's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Squareback reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Squareback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:27 PM   #6
hholbein
hholbein will become famous soon enoughhholbein will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2

I replaced the seal on my Power Steering Pump with a $7 Timken brand one from RockAuto. Works just fine. In my case, I didn't need to remove the hoses, just the mounting bolts and the pulley -- see this thread, and check out Richpin's videos on the topic on Youtube.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...ferrerid=49827

Two more tips:

1) Check to see whether the ATF fluid reservoir on top of the pump is at the right level, parking on a level surface and using the reservoir's side markings as the guide. I find using the dipstick makes it easy to overfill the white plastic reservoir, and this causes overpressure and aggravates leaks out the pulley shaft.

If it is overfilled, try removing some with a turkey baster. It may cause your problem to abate.

2) Likely your PS/ATF fluid is aging/burnt/brown if you haven't flushed it 5-6 times via draining/refilling the reservoir. (Famous turkey baster method.) This is a good excuse to use a quality synthetic ATF, since a quart will more
than cover the drains/refill cycles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hholbein's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hholbein reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hholbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:44 PM   #7
Squareback
Squareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the rough

2005 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hholbein View Post
In my case, I didn't need to remove the hoses, just the mounting bolts and the pulley
It's not just in your case, you don't have to remove any hoses from ANY S Series p/s pump to change out the seal. Remove the belt, then the mounting bolts for the pump, pull the pump straight up, remove the pulley, replace the seal and put it back together. Nothin to it.

Certified Saturn Technician

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Squareback's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Squareback reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Squareback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:08 PM   #8
MikeNW
Master Member

1997 SL

$7 for a seal? Now you're talking!!!

08 Burgman 400

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-27-2009, 08:49 AM   #9
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

You can't put a manual rack in a power steering car without changing the connector (for lack of a better term) between the rack and the steering column. I'd have power steering back in my '93 if I hadn't lost the power steering connector. The old rack didn't leak, I had the stupid idea that a manual rack was better. If nothing else, with the power steering and A/C gone the pair of 12" subs in the trunk shouldn't add any weight over stock

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 09:29 AM   #10
MikeNW
Master Member

1997 SL

/\ thanks, you answered an old question of mine, about compatibility.

08 Burgman 400

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-27-2009, 01:49 PM   #11
hholbein
hholbein will become famous soon enoughhholbein will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
You can't put a manual rack in a power steering car without changing the connector (for lack of a better term) between the rack and the steering column. I'd have power steering back in my '93 if I hadn't lost the power steering connector. The old rack didn't leak, I had the stupid idea that a manual rack was better. If nothing else, with the power steering and A/C gone the pair of 12" subs in the trunk shouldn't add any weight over stock
I'm a little curious. If the PS rack develops a leak, or the pump fails, can you just run the car without the pump connected, i.e., pull the pulley off, get a smaller serpentine belt, and just use the PS components in manual mode??? Obviously, it'll be harder to steer at low speeds......

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hholbein's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hholbein reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hholbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 05:38 PM   #12
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hholbein View Post
I'm a little curious. If the PS rack develops a leak, or the pump fails, can you just run the car without the pump connected, i.e., pull the pulley off, get a smaller serpentine belt, and just use the PS components in manual mode??? Obviously, it'll be harder to steer at low speeds......
It's not that much harder to steer then a manual rack. I blew up the first pump in my old '97 SC1 due to it leaking and me not caring enough about it to refill or fix it. Ran with a shorter belt for 4-5 months before I got annoyed by it and put another pump in it.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote