SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2009, 05:20 PM   #41
bigbird
bigbird is on a distinguished road

Default Re: The perfect marriage for Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by railguy7 View Post
I was the OP and my observation was more about how a small but focused brand could do very, very well in a market when product & execution were done right.
I know it's off topic, but Apple was all about inventing technology that didn't exist (GUI for operating systems, one piece computers, seamless MP3 players, etc). Do you think Apple could come up with a new radical concept for a mass produced vehicle? Maybe if Steve Jobs were a healthy mechanical engineer rather than an unhealthy computer visionary.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigbird's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigbird reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2009, 07:55 PM   #42
railguy7
railguy7 is on a distinguished road

BigBird...I totally agree with your comments.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to railguy7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help railguy7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
railguy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:16 PM   #43
dorseto
dorseto is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
I know it's off topic, but Apple was all about inventing technology that didn't exist (GUI for operating systems, one piece computers, seamless MP3 players, etc).
Uh, no. Apple never invented any of those (GUI, AIO PC, mp3 player). Apple may have mainstreamed it, but no way they invented those technologies.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dorseto's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dorseto reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dorseto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:35 PM   #44
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversurfer13 View Post
I like apples,,granny smith and the wildones u find...
We got one tree in the backyard. I say it's a Macintosh
but my mom doesn't agree with me. I only get a few each year, deer and squirrels get the rest.

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 03:36 AM   #45
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsky View Post
Partition? Formatting?
Why not use Itunes? (said propietary software)
You made it more difficult than it needed to be.
I have 2 Ipods, both about 5 years old, work great.
No, it was iTunes that made it more difficult than it needed to be. It requires you to set a FIXED amount of space for files the player will play, and only the rest of the "drive" can be used for general file storage. And the obvious problem with iTunes is that you can't simply plug the player in to any computer's USB port, copy down a sound file and listen to it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:20 AM   #46
SW2Muck
SW2Muck is on a distinguished road

1999 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorseto View Post
Uh, no. Apple never invented any of those (GUI, AIO PC, mp3 player). Apple may have mainstreamed it, but no way they invented those technologies.
Yea, GUI was invented by Xerox:

http://www.apple-history.com/?page=history&section=h1

Don't know what the first all-in-one was, but off the top of my head, I can think of the Commodore PET that came out in the late 70's.

Andrew "SW2Muck" Muck

"Do you know your place, in the big charade? Are you more than they?"
-Bad Religion

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SW2Muck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SW2Muck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SW2Muck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 01:18 PM   #47
davidsky
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
No, it was iTunes that made it more difficult than it needed to be. It requires you to set a FIXED amount of space for files the player will play, and only the rest of the "drive" can be used for general file storage. And the obvious problem with iTunes is that you can't simply plug the player in to any computer's USB port, copy down a sound file and listen to it.
I've only used my Ipod for music so I wouldn't have that issue. The reason I bought an Ipod (back in 2004) is because Itunes was far and away the best music "jukebox" software available at the time. Now I would have more of a choice. Itunes, WMP11, Zune. There all about as good as each other now.
A lot of people complain about the no drag and drop thing, never bothered me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-16-2009, 01:19 PM   #48
davidsky
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW2Muck View Post
Don't know what the first all-in-one was, but off the top of my head, I can think of the Commodore PET that came out in the late 70's.
Not sure being all in one is such a great invention either.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-16-2009, 01:33 PM   #49
dorseto
dorseto is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsky View Post
Not sure being all in one is such a great invention either.
I concur. I refresh my monitor and computer at different times. I had a 20" Sony Trintion CRT through at least 3 different computer refresh years ago. Seems like lately though, I went from a 19" standard LCD to a 22" widescreen to more recently a 24" widescreen LCD using the same computer.

I guess point is, 1, I don't want to be forced to buy a new monitor if I have to upgrade to a new computer and 2, I don't want to be stuck with a smaller monitor if I want to buy a larger new one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dorseto's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dorseto reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dorseto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:23 PM   #50
themrfreeze
themrfreeze is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
I know it's off topic, but Apple was all about inventing technology that didn't exist (GUI for operating systems, one piece computers, seamless MP3 players, etc). Do you think Apple could come up with a new radical concept for a mass produced vehicle? Maybe if Steve Jobs were a healthy mechanical engineer rather than an unhealthy computer visionary.
There will always be a segment of the population that looks for something better than the "norm". If somebody (with deep pockets) wanted to create a new car company that offered something revolutionary, there will be people who will buy into it. Whether they can sell enough cars to stay in business is another matter entirely. A $200 "risk" on some new electronic gadget is one thing...a $20,000 risk on a product you rely heavily on is something completely different.

It's nice to fantasize that Saturn will rise like the phoenix, return to its original roots, and thrive in whatever automotive industry is left after this recession (I'd love for it to happen, as I'm shopping for a new car right now, and badly wish the old Saturn was around so I could find something I really wanted). Fact of the matter is that this probably won't happen, and Saturn will disappear. Still, we may see some other company pick up the torch and carry forth. Saturn may disappear, but the ideals and principles it pioneered will survive...somebody just needs the vision to appreciate them and the courage to offer them again to the public.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to themrfreeze's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help themrfreeze reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
themrfreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:33 PM   #51
davidsky
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by themrfreeze View Post
There will always be a segment of the population that looks for something better than the "norm". If somebody (with deep pockets) wanted to create a new car company that offered something revolutionary, there will be people who will buy into it. Whether they can sell enough cars to stay in business is another matter entirely. A $200 "risk" on some new electronic gadget is one thing...a $20,000 risk on a product you rely heavily on is something completely different.
Tesla is the only thing close, but we're not sure how well they are doing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!