SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2009, 01:49 PM   #21
thatjerryguy
thatjerryguy will become famous soon enoughthatjerryguy will become famous soon enough

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Thumbs Down Re: February 17th Preview? Lutz Tells Automotive News that Despite Good Cars, Saturn

Further proof that the clowns running GM really and simply don't get it. They had numerous chances to turn GM into a word-class car company and failed to do it. Even with their backs against the wall they had a chance to create a middle market with unique offerings to bridge the difference between Chevrolet and Cadillac and -- not surprising -- they failed to do it. Nothing but a sad history of blown opportunities and sorry decisions. Now they think they can "survive" with some sort of Pontiac/Buick/GMC consortium selling what will be nothing but rebadges and "niche" vehicles, whatever the hell those would be.

All I can say to GM is good luck, good-bye and good riddance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to thatjerryguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help thatjerryguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
thatjerryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2009, 02:09 PM   #22
s4turngolf3r
s4turngolf3r is on a distinguished road

2001 SL1
Default Re: February 17th Preview? Lutz Tells Automotive News that Despite Good Cars, Saturn

well im still going to get my astra. if there is any positive from this there will be a firesale right when I'm shopping for a car. **** GM, after my Astra conks out its foreign for me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s4turngolf3r's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s4turngolf3r reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s4turngolf3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 02:23 PM   #23
mikec
mikec will become famous soon enough

Default Re: The MBA mindset: "product", not cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxdude View Post
A pet peeve of mine is that the executives of American companies tend to view what the company creates as "product".
I agree. Look at the Video Professor commercials on TV: "Buy my product", Try my product". It drives me nuts when I hear this commercial.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mikec's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mikec reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mikec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 02:48 PM   #24
SW2Muck
SW2Muck is on a distinguished road

1999 SW2
Default Re: The MBA mindset: "product", not cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxdude View Post
A pet peeve of mine is that the executives of American companies tend to view what the company creates as "product". They don't think in terms of cars, drill bits, notebook PCs, or wooden furniture. It's all just "product", as taught at business schools.

I think this matters because without passion for cars or whatever a company makes, it's hard to be great. I recall reading a study of companies in Southern California and the firms run by engineers who had risen through the ranks were much better off than firms run by finance-trained MBAs. I suspect that phenomenon is not unique to Southern Cal.

I hope that someday this country returns to the sort of business leadership that we see more often in German companies now. Hands-on scientists and engineers, not financial men who are most concerned about maximizing their payout from stock options. As the "product" withers on the vine underneath them.
I couldn't agree more! What is business administration when you think about? Its a bunch of hogwash, thats what it is. This country is run by a bunch of people who know to manage and delegate responsibilities, but really don't know how to do anything. Then we wonder why, everything is going to crap.

Andrew "SW2Muck" Muck

"Do you know your place, in the big charade? Are you more than they?"
-Bad Religion

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SW2Muck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SW2Muck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SW2Muck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 02:58 PM   #25
DeMAN
Advanced Member
DeMAN is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2
Default Re: February 17th Preview? Lutz Tells Automotive News that Despite Good Cars, Saturn

GM US should be just Chevrolet offering some type of luxury brand. I wouldn't even call it Cadillac. Make it the chevy CTS and STS.

DeMAN

95 SC2
97 Grand Prix GTP
06 Acura TL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DeMAN's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DeMAN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DeMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:02 PM   #26
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

Didn't I tell you guys this a long time ago? Everyone here has been in denial...but then it's the same as when people said, "Don't worry, Saturn would never get rid of the polymer panels" or "Don't worry, Spring Hill will always be building Saturns" etc. Never underestimate GM's ability to let you down.

GM had a huge sales success in the original, economical Saturns. Trying to turn Saturn into a luxury division while abandoning the original customers was beyond stupid.

Celebrity Eurosport.
When the road gets a little nervous, take one of these.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTHokie00SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:48 PM   #27
FGCA_XRL
FGCA_XRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line

*yawn*

You forget that Saturn's sales are lower in margin. The sales from a B-P-G dealership don't have to be as high as that of a Saturn dealership, as they have more margin in each car. Furthermore, they don't have as costly of a dealer network to hold up. Same goes for Cadillac, the margin on a typical Caddy is probably double or more what it is on a Saturn. So we can talk units all you want, but that won't ever change the fact that even with the biggest push GM's ever given to a division, Saturn failed to produce enough sales to pay for itself.

Now we can blame it on advertising if you want, but that's just simply lying to ourselves. Saturn was advertised as much as any other minor GM brand. Then when they realized that no amount of advertising (well, no reasonable amount) would undo the stigma of cheap plastic cars, they cut their losses and ran for the hills because as a division, it had no future.

The problem with Saturn is SATURN. We see it on the boards every day. "They never should have gotten rid of polymers" or "the s series was the best car ever and mine has 4000k miles with no problems" or "they never should have replaced the ion". Saturn buyers that liked Saturn are too cheap to buy a real car that is anything more than commuter-crap. Why do we see so many people switch from Saturn to Hyundai, Kia, or Toyota? Because they're all commuter econo-crap. Saturn people don't want to buy a nicer Saturn because it's "more than they need/can afford" and people outside Saturn don't want them because they're "cheap Saturn crap". Regardless of who designed them, etc. they still carry the "red badge of crap". Saturn's best chance is to die or become Opel completely.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FGCA_XRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FGCA_XRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FGCA_XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:54 PM   #28
CurveConcept
CurveConcept is on a distinguished road

This news is not a shock. Saturn has been dead for years. Little by little Saturn has died off.

What happened to a different kind or car company and a different kind of car? What happened to:

1. Polymer
2. Spring Hill
3. Unique vehicles only Saturn had, not GM clones, with unique UAW agreement
4. Return or exchange policy in 30 days
5. Homecomings
6. Customer care/dealer support
7. Good, less expensive, fuel sipping import fighters

Mark my words, as GM's last move/end game for Saturn they will screw their dealers into the ground after most if not all of their dealers spent a lot of money updating their retail facilities.

GM: "Rethink bankruptcy"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CurveConcept's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CurveConcept reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CurveConcept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:05 PM   #29
K-1
Master Member
K-1 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by FGCA_XRL View Post
*yawn*

You forget that Saturn's sales are lower in margin. The sales from a B-P-G dealership don't have to be as high as that of a Saturn dealership, as they have more margin in each car. Furthermore, they don't have as costly of a dealer network to hold up. Same goes for Cadillac, the margin on a typical Caddy is probably double or more what it is on a Saturn. So we can talk units all you want, but that won't ever change the fact that even with the biggest push GM's ever given to a division, Saturn failed to produce enough sales to pay for itself.
The margins built into Chevys and Pontiacs is room for dealing. Take that out (i.e. Saturn) and your margins are basically the same.

Quote:
Now we can blame it on advertising if you want, but that's just simply lying to ourselves. Saturn was advertised as much as any other minor GM brand. Then when they realized that no amount of advertising (well, no reasonable amount) would undo the stigma of cheap plastic cars, they cut their losses and ran for the hills because as a division, it had no future.

The problem with Saturn is SATURN. We see it on the boards every day. "They never should have gotten rid of polymers" or "the s series was the best car ever and mine has 4000k miles with no problems" or "they never should have replaced the ion". Saturn buyers that liked Saturn are too cheap to buy a real car that is anything more than commuter-crap. Why do we see so many people switch from Saturn to Hyundai, Kia, or Toyota? Because they're all commuter econo-crap. Saturn people don't want to buy a nicer Saturn because it's "more than they need/can afford" and people outside Saturn don't want them because they're "cheap Saturn crap". Regardless of who designed them, etc. they still carry the "red badge of crap". Saturn's best chance is to die or become Opel completely.
All you need to do is look at Hyundai. A few well-placed entries in the market and a massive advertising campaign and they've carved out a space for themselves. It is absolutely all about the advertising.

Toyota: Moving Forward... off a cliff at a high rate of speed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to K-1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help K-1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
K-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:31 PM   #30
FGCA_XRL
FGCA_XRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line

Hyundai sells cars dirt cheap with no soul. They also have labor costs that are insignificant compared to GM. I'm sure if Gm cut all legacy costs, paid most of its workers pennies ont he dollar to what they make now, and pumped out soul-less crap commuter cars people would eventually be OK with GM once again. It has nothing to do with advertising, it has to due with undercutting EVERYONE by enough money to lure the cheapest of consumers over, then slowly carve out a spot with the magazines the cheap people believe for car buying advice. It's not bad business, but it's less advertising than you think. it's more of building cars with no frills for dirt cheap. Almost every review I've read of a Hyundai has been like this "It's not quite as good in any aspect as the other cars in its segment, but it sure is cheaper!". For real, that's how the Genesis beat out the Lexus GS300 despite losing in every other category in an Edmunds review.

Oh wait, that's what's likely going to happen so we'll get to see it in action.

I'd still NEVER buy ANY Hyundai. And it's not because I disagree with their business practices, it's because they produce nothing exciting to me. They produce a V8 powered RWD luxury sedan that is slower than its V6 powered rivals. They're producing a RWD coupe that's 100hp down from the muscle coupes, and 50 hp down and a lot of pounds heavier than the import V6 coupes. The Tiburon was a bloated underpowered piece of crap that nobody in their right mind bought for a sport compact. Frankly, if Hyundai built a car worth looking at, I might consider them. But they don't. And if GM treads down the same path (because of the econo/eco-hippies in the Democratic party), they'll be in the same position.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FGCA_XRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FGCA_XRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FGCA_XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 05:39 PM   #31
Ritz
Master Member
Ritz has a spectacular aura aboutRitz has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokie00SL2 View Post
Didn't I tell you guys this a long time ago? Everyone here has been in denial...but then it's the same as when people said, "Don't worry, Saturn would never get rid of the polymer panels" or "Don't worry, Spring Hill will always be building Saturns" etc. Never underestimate GM's ability to let you down.

GM had a huge sales success in the original, economical Saturns. Trying to turn Saturn into a luxury division while abandoning the original customers was beyond stupid.
A number of people have been saying this here for years. The cheerleader types thought it was better to label us as troublemakers or trolls rather than just accept reality. And it's exactly this type of head-in-the-sand "let's think happy thoughts" approach that has gotten GM and Saturn to where they are today. There have been PLENTY of opportunities to fix things, but GM's keystone kops handling of Saturn has made it all but impossible for the outcome to be any other than shuttering the division. R.I.P.

So step 1 is almost done: axe the nonperforming divisions
Step 2: Go chapter 11 and deal with the debt and unions
Step 3: Find competent management and try to re-emerge as a stronger company.
Step 4: (god willing) Make a profit and REPAY the taxpayer loans.

Cheers,

Last edited by Ritz; 02-16-2009 at 05:46 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ritz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 06:43 PM   #32
DeMAN
Advanced Member
DeMAN is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2

Quote:
Almost every review I've read of a Hyundai has been like this "It's not quite as good in any aspect as the other cars in its segment, but it sure is cheaper!". For real, that's how the Genesis beat out the Lexus GS300 despite losing in every other category in an Edmunds review.

Oh wait, that's what's likely going to happen so we'll get to see it in action.

I'd still NEVER buy ANY Hyundai. And it's not because I disagree with their business practices, it's because they produce nothing exciting to me. They produce a V8 powered RWD luxury sedan that is slower than its V6 powered rivals. They're producing a RWD coupe that's 100hp down from the muscle coupes, and 50 hp down and a lot of pounds heavier than the import V6 coupes. The Tiburon was a bloated underpowered piece of crap that nobody in their right mind bought for a sport compact. Frankly, if Hyundai built a car worth looking at, I might consider them. But they don't. And if GM treads down the same path (because of the econo/eco-hippies in the Democratic party), they'll be in the same position.
Hyundai has moved further in a much shorter time to being close to what the other car folk are doing. Thats a lot further than GM or Ford has with cars in any case.

All of its rivals are 15-20k more in price equally equipped. I driven both and the Hyundai is more than fast for anyones use here in the US. My daughter has the V8 w/tech package.
The coupe is the size of the new Camaro and lighter than the G37 due to its 7 speed auto tranny. Who knows whether the Z28 will even see the light of day.

Bottom line is that the Hyundai more than offers what GM presently has in a car and has other engine and tranny in development.

HP is nice and all but hyundai more than fits the bill for 99.9% of its use.
Its ashame how easy it is to get into a pissing match about hp that majority of the owners will never need or use. All auto sales are down with the exception of hyundais, even with those who seem to have all the power.

DeMAN

95 SC2
97 Grand Prix GTP
06 Acura TL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DeMAN's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DeMAN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DeMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 06:51 PM   #33
CurveConcept

What happened to the company line "we are completely behind saturn"?

I guess they were behind saturn as they pushed it off a cliff.

Roger Smith must be rolling over in his grave.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help CurveConcept reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-16-2009, 07:11 PM   #34
AuraDrvr89
Master Member
AuraDrvr89 will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmj12345 View Post
....and then they didn't advertise it.

I love Saturn and my Aura but it is unbelievably frustrating watching them whither away with a great lineup because nobody friggen knows about their cars. I admit it would have taken some time and effort to change Saturn's perception as cheap plastic econo-boxes but they never even gave them a chance.
Good point! Three model years in, aka more than half way through out the current generations lifespan, the model still goes unnoticed.

People still have no clue what my Aura is or where it came from. The same issue is happening with all of the other models as well.

-Joel

Now: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive, Monaco Blue Metallic
Then:
2007 SATURN AURA XE,Cream White
2004 Saturn Ion 3 Special Edition Sedan, Onyx Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AuraDrvr89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AuraDrvr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AuraDrvr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:32 PM   #35
Sival
Sival will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Toyota has no problem surviving while selling "commuter-crap" as you call it. What else can you say about the Yaris? The Corolla? The Camry? Is Toyota on the verge of dying? Don't think so. Also, calling the S-series "commuter-crap" is taking the car out of its context, when it was released in the early 90s, the S-series twin-cam was one of the fastest car of its segment. Check the archives to see Motorweek's test of one of the first Saturns: it was reasonably fast, handled well, braked well and was affordable. Even in the 2000s, the S-series DOHC was still one of the fastest affordable compact cars out there.

As to the "problem" being Saturn customers... I think you're completely wrong. The idea should have been (and probably was): sell a S-series to a young adult starting his career who needed an affordable, reliable car, when he comes back a few years later when he's starting a family and got a bit more money in his bank account, he'll be looking for a bigger car from the brand that gave him a good buying experience. Problem is, GM cut the funds off Saturn and when those people came back, there was nothing for him, so he went looking elsewhere and, since Saturn was built to avoid being tainted with GM's reputation, he goes looking at the Asian carmakers. Of course, when his kids look at buying their first car, the guy goes back to Saturn, but that's too little, too late. They didn't build on Saturn's initial success.

Saturn's no Lotus or BMW, but it didn't need to be.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sival's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sival reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:33 PM   #36
Sival
Sival will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraDrvr89 View Post
Good point! Three model years in, aka more than half way through out the current generations lifespan, the model still goes unnoticed.

People still have no clue what my Aura is or where it came from. The same issue is happening with all of the other models as well.
I wouldn't be surprised if internal tension between brand managings was the fault of that. Did Chevy want to avoid internal competition with its Malibu?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sival's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sival reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:59 PM   #37
slypig
slypig is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

I knew I should have gone with the Malibu...... I buy my first Saturn, and 6 months later, they are dead.

So much for repair and re-sale value.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to slypig's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help slypig reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
slypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:02 PM   #38
IONfan2
IONfan2 is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
1996 SW2

Saturn shouldn't have gone upscale. People who bought a new S-Series 10 years ago come to the Saturn dealer now and see that the SMALLEST Saturn (the Astra) goes for close to $20k. 20k???? S cars were around 10-15k new. The Astra never fit with Saturn's profile. It is expensive to import making the MSRP outrageous. The Outlook is to big, plus the Sky is too pricey to build and to buy.

It is just a shame to what Saturn has become. I will miss Saturn terribly.

When I was 5 years old back in 1997, my neighbor had a white SL2. I just loved the look of it. It wasn't over the top but it looked really nice. I really loved it. From then on, 12 years later, I have been Saturn's #1 fan!!!

2002 SC2 (78,000 miles) I LOVE my Saturn! =]

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to IONfan2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help IONfan2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
IONfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:05 PM   #39
CurveConcept

Quote:
Originally Posted by slypig View Post
I knew I should have gone with the Malibu...... I buy my first Saturn, and 6 months later, they are dead.

Keep the car. It won't matter in the long run.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-16-2009, 08:14 PM   #40
Ritz
Master Member
Ritz has a spectacular aura aboutRitz has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by slypig View Post

Perhaps you just haven't been paying attention. Saturn resale value (and GM's) has always been pretty bleak. My '06 VUE is coming up on its 3 year anniversary and is worth less than half of what I paid for it. Nice, eh?

I wouldn't be THAT concerned about repairs unless it's for the body (which is only used on the Aura). The running gear is used on a number of models around the globe so I doubt those parts are going to dry up any time soon. Would it have been "better" to get a Malibu? Probably. But the Aura will be a lot more unique on the street (if that's worth anything to you). 8-)

Cheers,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ritz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote