SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 09-30-2020, 06:41 PM   #1
dodo
dodo is a jewel in the roughdodo is a jewel in the roughdodo is a jewel in the roughdodo is a jewel in the rough

Default Clutch is Gibbled

Hi everyone - It's been a while since I was on here but I am currently looking for help with my 2001 SC2. It came back to me with a note from a mechanic that it needed a new clutch...( i've actually sold this car three times to three different people and it keeps re'turning like a horse!) In any event, I replaced the clutch with a new kit, however as soon as I saw the one I was taking out I knew there was not a problem with it as it looked fine... I had a new one so I installed it since it was all apart. Upon testing it, there was no difference in the operation of the clutch. It will not allow me to put the car in gear when running.

Thinking it was a leaky slave cylinder (it was damp) I replaced the assembly with a new LUK unit... no difference once again.... Has me stumped...

I have read through numerous posts on the forum about the wire test, pedal travel and all check out just at the min. levels of what I should expect. The pedal and dash appear to be just like the other saturns I have... I just do not know what else to look at?

Any chance there is a issue with the fork? I cant see how it can be any of the other components of the clutch (disc, bearing, pressure plate, slave-MC assemb.) because it is acting the same as when it had the previous parts in it...

I just am at a loss for what I should be looking at... any ideas?
Thanks - Derrick
dodo is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2020, 07:44 PM   #2
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: Clutch is Gibbled

Check end-play on the crank. Whatever the end-play is, it is subtracted from what you find with the wire-test to find what the effective travel of the fork is. I had an engine that ran fine with 1/8" crank end-play, but the clutch would not work right. (Not an S-series).

My rant: This was a used car with warranty, but the warranty did not cover wear items like a clutch; only "oil-wetted" major internal engine stuff. I had to fight for a while to get them to agree that the crank and its thrust bearing were right at the heart of that "oil-wetted" circus.
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 12:20 AM   #3
PrestonIII
PrestonIII is a jewel in the roughPrestonIII is a jewel in the roughPrestonIII is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2
1994 SL2

It could be the clutch fork or it's pivot point being worn. Can the pivot point be shimmed or moved? Is the throwout bearing the right height?

I have seen a case where the firewall flexed when the pedal was pushed, so the movement of the pedal didn't translate into movement of the clutch fork.

Can the system be bled? Could there be air in the clutch master or slave cylinder? (My car is an automatic)

Preston
PrestonIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 09:00 AM   #4
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is just really niceWaiex191 is just really niceWaiex191 is just really niceWaiex191 is just really niceWaiex191 is just really nice

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

The fork pivot is not adjustable. It could be there is air in both your new and old systems. It can't be bled conventionally.

Try this on your old hydraulics:
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=123791

My post on bleeding the system:
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=11

As you can see I did mine out of the car. You already have new hydraulics but cross posting another good thread:
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=233551
Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 04:14 PM   #5
dodo
dodo is a jewel in the roughdodo is a jewel in the roughdodo is a jewel in the roughdodo is a jewel in the rough

[QUOTE=PrestonIII;2351434]It could be the clutch fork or it's pivot point being worn. Can the pivot point be shimmed or moved? Is the throwout bearing the right height?

I have a theory... looking for thoughts on it...

We took the clutch out of the car again - we noticed that the pressure plate and the clutch plate have markings on them. It appears the "fingers" on the pressure plate are hitting the clutch disc at the spring retainers.... and around the section that is the main metal of the clutch disc.... The only way I can imagine this happening is if the pressure plate is really compressed -far more than normal... the only way I can see this being possible is if the throw out bearing is not seated in the fork properly and is sitting "out" there by compressing the pressure plate but extensively and as a result it is still engaging the clutch.....

pictures are of the old one and the new one - same markings. The shaft was a bit gummed up so I am wondering if it just got sticky and the bearing come out of place...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WIN_20201008_13_08_27_Pro.jpg (129.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg WIN_20201008_13_08_20_Pro.jpg (141.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg WIN_20201008_13_08_08_Pro.jpg (124.6 KB, 15 views)
Old 10-14-2020, 06:47 PM   #6
dodo

I guess my theory was wrong... all back together and the same results...

the crank was tight.

I can't figure out why the marks are being made.... something not working right....
Old 10-14-2020, 07:11 PM   #7
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

Are you going to take it apart again? I would like to see more pictures, and ones that are clearer.

Did you pry the crank back-and-forth with a tool? How much end-play to you estimate there is?
billr is offline   Reply With Quote