SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech

Old 09-18-2020, 08:57 PM   #1
ProOpel
ProOpel is on a distinguished road

Default Cutting access port for fuel pump. Yes? No?

I'm possibly having to replace my fuel pump, and found out our US Astras don't have an access port! Darn it!

But, I notice that the area where the access port was in the euro models it's there, it's just metal but it's definitively there. I thought that if I can cut the metal sheet it should make acesss to the fuel easier. The fuel cover trim is just a plastic piece that fits in the access port by pressing it down. It's a simple concept. I just wish what the diameter of the cover is so I can cut it with the same diameter and use the cover later.

What do you guys think? Dropping the tank, removing the exhaust and all that crap is a lot lol
08' Astra XE 5dr
5 spd manual
team2fast 200 sportcat
Autolite XP5224 spark plugs
GM valve cover/PCV (55564395)
OPC body work (wip)
ProOpel is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2020, 04:32 PM   #2
ProOpel

Default Re: Cutting access port for fuel pump. Yes? No?

Alright, I thought of posting an update for those who may, in the future, be in the same situation. IŽm trying to see if IŽll need a pump so IŽll be doing a fuel pressue test first.

But, after watching videos and the sort, I can not see why this cannot be done. I just need to get the trim cover part No 90459902 and get proper measurements.

Unbelieable that GM didnŽt put a cover access, but anyway.
08' Astra XE 5dr
5 spd manual
team2fast 200 sportcat
OPC body work (wip)
Old 09-21-2020, 08:25 AM   #3
maschinenbauer
maschinenbauer will become famous soon enoughmaschinenbauer will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

I don't see any problem with cutting an access port, as long as you're very careful not to plunge too deep with your cutting tool into the tank. This is common on many other cars. Hope the fuel pump fixes your issues.

Personally I don't think it would be that bad to drop the exhaust and tank, but I also have no rusty fasteners since I live south.
'08 Astra XE 5-speed
'72 Chevrolet El Camino
'31 Ford Model A pickup
maschinenbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 09:43 AM   #4
AstraFasta
Advanced Member
AstraFasta has a spectacular aura aboutAstraFasta has a spectacular aura about

I didn't realise we don't have the cutout. Then again, when flipping the back seats, I don't remember seeing it.

Not sure if it is easier to drop the tank or build new cutout.

If you drop the exhaust, inevitably the delicate flexpipe will get stressed so that is a consideration.
AstraFasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 05:39 PM   #5
ProOpel

Thanks guys. Will post an update as soon as I get on it. Right now the car runs, but loses performance after some driving. I'm getting a full tune up with a lot of new parts for preventative maint, so this pump will go anyway.

maschinebauer: my buddy has a precise cutting tool he'd use to cut a section and we'll take it from there.

Astrafasta: I too couldn't believe GM didn't allow for this option for the US market. It seems they were trying to cut costs on everything. Darn them with double darnation.
08' Astra XE 5dr
5 spd manual
team2fast 200 sportcat
OPC body work (wip)
Old 09-23-2020, 02:19 PM   #6
maschinenbauer
maschinenbauer will become famous soon enoughmaschinenbauer will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Please take pictures and report back
'08 Astra XE 5-speed
'72 Chevrolet El Camino
'31 Ford Model A pickup
maschinenbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 04:05 PM   #7
ProOpel

Will do

cheers
08' Astra XE 5dr
5 spd manual
team2fast 200 sportcat
OPC body work (wip)
Old 09-23-2020, 05:15 PM   #8
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Are you certain the fuel pump needs to be replaced? Measured fuel pressure with a f/p gauge at the fuel test port when ignition is turned on, engine off? Virtually all EFI systems have a programmed timed cycle to run the fuel pump for 2-3 seconds then shuts off if the engine isn't started. Enough time to measure fuel pressure. After engine startup, f/p should remain close to koeo (key on engine off) pressure. Mileage greater than around 100k or after warranty expires is subject to the whims of fuel pumps when they decide to croak.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 05:20 PM   #9
ProOpel

Hey man, I'm not certain as I haven't tested it.

Tried to loan a tool from advance/autozone etc but nobody has one (nor did they know what it was lol) and buying one it's like 50 bucks. So I decided to heck it all, and buy a new pump and be done with it. Since I've been wanting to do a full tune up I'm going to get it and that's one less thing I won't have to do later.

I do think my problem is not the pump though, it seems to be working but it could be failing.
08' Astra XE 5dr
5 spd manual
team2fast 200 sportcat
OPC body work (wip)
Old 09-23-2020, 05:44 PM   #10
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If you have AutoZone, call ahead. They have loaners too. It's worth the time and effort before committing to a major project whether cutting a hole or dropping the tank from second guessing.
Old 09-23-2020, 05:47 PM   #11
ProOpel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
If you have AutoZone, call ahead. They have loaners too. It's worth the time and effort before committing to a major project whether cutting a hole or dropping the tank from second guessing.
Yeah, like I said, they didn't have a fuel pressure gauge kit to loan. Neither did advance. Not sure about o'reilly's and all those.
08' Astra XE 5dr
5 spd manual
team2fast 200 sportcat
OPC body work (wip)
Old 09-23-2020, 07:22 PM   #12
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

My bad as I read advance/autozone as one word and missed 'autozone. Harbor Freight? They're inexpensive and reasonably good for occasional use. I don't know about other big box stores so calling ahead will tell whether or not they have loaners. Any friends, work acquaintances worth asking?

Strange story - I went to borrow a fuel pressure gauge from a local A-z. It didn't work. Other loaner tools were fine. My guess was this was used a lot and damaged or worn out. Upon return, I gave the store a heads up about it. I was diagnosing a misfire problem and wanted to be sure it wasn't a fuel pump/pressure problem. Initial guess of a faulty ignition coil pack was correct with replacement. It would have been nice to eliminate fuel pressure. The coil pack isn't cheap on L300s.
Old 09-23-2020, 08:29 PM   #13
Astra08
Astra08 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

This is probably one of the few tools I don't have, but I really should.

At $15.99, someplace like Harbor Freight is probably worth it before going to the trouble of cutting sheet metal.

https://www.harborfreight.com/fuel-p...ter-62637.html
Astra08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 09:35 PM   #14
ProOpel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
My bad as I read advance/autozone as one word and missed 'autozone. Harbor Freight? They're inexpensive and reasonably good for occasional use. I don't know about other big box stores so calling ahead will tell whether or not they have loaners. Any friends, work acquaintances worth asking?

Strange story - I went to borrow a fuel pressure gauge from a local A-z. It didn't work. Other loaner tools were fine. My guess was this was used a lot and damaged or worn out. Upon return, I gave the store a heads up about it. I was diagnosing a misfire problem and wanted to be sure it wasn't a fuel pump/pressure problem. Initial guess of a faulty ignition coil pack was correct with replacement. It would have been nice to eliminate fuel pressure. The coil pack isn't cheap on L300s.
Thanks for bringing that one up fdryer! I didn't think about that option. Hf has been good to me in the past so I'll check it out.

I did order a new GM coil pack since it doesn't look like the previous owner ever replaced it. New coil packs and spark plugs and I'm replacing camshaft sensors as well as o2 sensors. Going in for all lol
08' Astra XE 5dr
5 spd manual
team2fast 200 sportcat
OPC body work (wip)
Old 09-23-2020, 09:36 PM   #15
ProOpel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astra08 View Post
This is probably one of the few tools I don't have, but I really should.

At $15.99, someplace like Harbor Freight is probably worth it before going to the trouble of cutting sheet metal.

https://www.harborfreight.com/fuel-p...ter-62637.html

Dang! That's cheaper than what advance wanted. Appreciate the link man.
08' Astra XE 5dr
5 spd manual
team2fast 200 sportcat
OPC body work (wip)
Old 09-25-2020, 07:18 PM   #16
Astra08
Astra08 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProOpel View Post
Dang! That's cheaper than what advance wanted. Appreciate the link man.

No problem. Let us know how your fuel pump issue works out.
Astra08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:40 PM   #17
ProOpel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astra08 View Post
No problem. Let us know how your fuel pump issue works out.
Yes sir will do. My new coil packs are coming soon and will update on that too.
08' Astra XE 5dr
5 spd manual
team2fast 200 sportcat
OPC body work (wip)
Old 09-27-2020, 04:15 PM   #18
ProOpel

A quick update. Got the new coil packs installed but the car still struggles to start right up. It starts after several tries with intervals of several mins in between. Once the Astra warms up performances deteriorates.

I haven't yet changed the spark plugs so it could be this too. I should be receiving the autolite plugs next week. Will post another update once I get the plugs swapped.
08' Astra XE 5dr
5 spd manual
team2fast 200 sportcat
OPC body work (wip)
Old 09-28-2020, 04:34 PM   #19
eric08
eric08 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

When I picked up my Astra with 80,000 miles on the clock it ran like crap, although it did start and idle alright. I went to the coil and plugs first and upon pulling the plugs I found they were completely worn out. Like no electrodes visible and so a monster gap. Worst plugs I'd ever seen. I had to do a few other things after but that was the source of driveability problems. Intrested in what you find and, of course, how cutting the fuel pump door works out.
eric08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 05:00 PM   #20
ProOpel

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric08 View Post
When I picked up my Astra with 80,000 miles on the clock it ran like crap, although it did start and idle alright. I went to the coil and plugs first and upon pulling the plugs I found they were completely worn out. Like no electrodes visible and so a monster gap. Worst plugs I'd ever seen. I had to do a few other things after but that was the source of driveability problems. Intrested in what you find and, of course, how cutting the fuel pump door works out.
Thanks Eric. I'm still waiting for my plugs to arrive but I have a feeling this may help things. We'll see. I'll remove them this evening and see how bad they look.

One thing I noticed, after removing the coil pack, is that it wasn't OEM. So, that tells me someone replaced it at least once. I believe the coil pack was fine, so I'll keep it as a spare.

Another thing I've noticed is that the pump sometimes sounds a tiny bit louder and other times not so much. Now, it could be me, but I wonder...
08' Astra XE 5dr
5 spd manual
team2fast 200 sportcat
OPC body work (wip)